Home
SearchSearch MemberlistMemberlist RegisterRegister ProfileProfile Log in to check your private messagesLog in to check your private messages Log inLog in

RMC Tokina 17mm F3.5
View previous topic :: View next topic  

PostPosted: Sun Nov 20, 2011 12:11 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Quote:
Have you tried any of the Nikkor 20s? My favorite is the old Nikkor-UD 20mm f/3.5. Rather expensive, but only half the price of a new Voigtlander Color Skopar.

In my opinion an excellent lens! I had two times, I sold them due I had to earn some money, highly recommended lens!

I still have an 20mm f2.8 AIS I could buy it cheaply due some hairline scratch on front Laughing How people idiots about scratches... certainly not impact picture quality at all... yes I am not shoot against sun... Laughing

PostPosted: Mon Nov 28, 2011 5:18 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

One from yesterday

PostPosted: Mon Nov 28, 2011 5:24 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

wonderful Dustin!!

PostPosted: Mon Nov 28, 2011 6:34 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

kds315* wrote:
Superb images Dustin! Another great proof why I have three of them (in Nikon mount) Wink

Klaus, would you, by any chance, sell one Razz

PostPosted: Wed Nov 30, 2011 8:05 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Really nice shots Dustin.

PostPosted: Fri Dec 02, 2011 1:15 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Thanks for the comments! HEading out in a bit to get more shots (hopefully!).

There is a Tokina *just like mine) on ebay with 5 days left. The bidding was at $61 last I checked, but had 12 bids.

PostPosted: Fri Dec 02, 2011 10:52 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Dustin Gent wrote:
Thanks for the comments! HEading out in a bit to get more shots (hopefully!).

There is a Tokina *just like mine) on ebay with 5 days left. The bidding was at $61 last I checked, but had 12 bids.

Is this it?

Click here to see on Ebay

PostPosted: Sat Dec 03, 2011 12:14 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Until Dustin answer , yes , I have same one and I confirm excellent lens.

PostPosted: Sat Dec 03, 2011 2:12 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Attila wrote:
Until Dustin answer , yes , I have same one and I confirm excellent lens.

Well, I too can confirm it is an excellent lens. Although my copy is a Vivitar (SN 37xxx...) and it's for Canon FD mount. I love mine; just wish I had it in Nikon or M42 instead of C/FD.

PostPosted: Sat Dec 03, 2011 2:52 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Maybe you can buy one of the very commonly seen (and dirt cheap) Tokina RMC 2.8/28s and swap the mount?

I am not 100% sure it will fit, but I do have Tokina 3.5/17 and 2.8/28, I can get them out and have a look and see if they are the same at the rear, the 17 is in Konica AR and the 28 in Contax/Yashica.

PostPosted: Sat Dec 03, 2011 6:31 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Ian, that's a great idea! If you wouldn't mind, I sure would like to know. I have a Vivitar 24mm in Oly mount here, but I think it was made by Kiron and not Tokina.

PostPosted: Sun Dec 04, 2011 8:08 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

I'd be interested to know how IQ is Tokina open 3,5 Would it night photo and star landscapes?

PostPosted: Mon Dec 05, 2011 6:34 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

cooltouch, yes that is the same one I saw. WOW, that is more than what I paid for mine shipped! Only me and one other dude was bidding on this lens. Again, i didn't even know it was Nikon mount until after I paid for it, lol.

The painted hills was shot wide open right after sunset. Pretty wicked sharp I think. It was 364 seconds (like 6 minutes and change..)
The other two were taken this past weekend in the frigid cold, lol.

PostPosted: Mon Dec 05, 2011 9:06 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

cooltouch wrote:
Ian, that's a great idea! If you wouldn't mind, I sure would like to know. I have a Vivitar 24mm in Oly mount here, but I think it was made by Kiron and not Tokina.

I took a look and they look interchangeable, seems the lens is designed to take a number of different mounts of varying thicknesses.

Now that means you can swap the mounts between 3.5/17s no problem, but I am not sure if it also means you can swap the mounts between a 17 and a 28, I reckon you can but without trying it, I can't be 100% sure.

I've been shooting my Konica Hexanon 4/21 recently and I have to say, the Tokina 3.5/17 is every bit as good, maybe even better in some regards, the Konica seems to be less flare resistant and have a little more distortion, so it really does seem to me that the Tokina lens is remarkable.

Sorry if I mentioned this before, but I also had a Tokina AT-X 3.5/17 in Canon EF, just sold it to a friend, that is identical optically to the older RMC version I think. If not, then the differences are so slight that we can't discern them. Hasten to add, I only sold it because I sold my EOS and have the RMC version to use on my NEX.

PostPosted: Mon Dec 05, 2011 1:47 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Upeita kuvia Dustin!!! Mill body kuvaat? Is this long exposure-landscape photo vigneting wide open so bad, whether or not you have added the image vignetting? Otherwise, it looks pretty sharp although it is small

PostPosted: Mon Dec 05, 2011 1:49 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Great pictures, Dustin! Which body are you shooting?
Is this long exposure-landscape photo vigneting wide open so bad, whether or not you have added the image vignetting? Otherwise, it looks pretty sharp although it is small

PostPosted: Mon Dec 05, 2011 5:13 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

thanks!

It could be vignetting, but it also was past sunset when I took this (6 min exposure). I use a Canon 1Ds (original) for everything until I can afford to upgrade

PostPosted: Mon Dec 05, 2011 11:17 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Muddus, very wide angle lenses tend to develop a hot spot in the center. With some large and medium format ultra wide angles, it is possible to buy a center spot filter for them to knock down the excessive center brightness. I think it is this phenomenon you are seeing in Dustin's photos.

PostPosted: Tue Dec 06, 2011 2:17 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

one from October (i think)

PostPosted: Tue Dec 06, 2011 7:03 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

I think you're cooltouch right. I tried to dig a Dustin landscape photo corners open, but there was no sharpness. f-16 will certainly help in this area. My Rollei 21mm is near free hotspot phenomenon, and the corners are as good as center range. Body 5DC

PostPosted: Sun Dec 18, 2011 6:07 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

one taken last summer.

PostPosted: Sun Dec 18, 2011 6:09 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

wonderful Dustin!

PostPosted: Mon Dec 19, 2011 4:44 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

What an amazing scenery's image Shocked !!!!

PostPosted: Mon Dec 19, 2011 4:57 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Dustin Gent wrote:
one taken last summer.

Fantastic image.

PostPosted: Wed Jan 11, 2012 11:41 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Here is one I took on Saturday evening..