Home

Please support mflenses.com if you need any graphic related work order it from us, click on above banner to order!

SearchSearch MemberlistMemberlist RegisterRegister ProfileProfile Log in to check your private messagesLog in to check your private messages Log inLog in

RMC Tokina 17mm F3.5
View previous topic :: View next topic  

PostPosted: Sun Nov 20, 2011 12:11 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Quote:
Have you tried any of the Nikkor 20s? My favorite is the old Nikkor-UD 20mm f/3.5. Rather expensive, but only half the price of a new Voigtlander Color Skopar.

In my opinion an excellent lens! I had two times, I sold them due I had to earn some money, highly recommended lens!

I still have an 20mm f2.8 AIS I could buy it cheaply due some hairline scratch on front Laughing How people idiots about scratches... certainly not impact picture quality at all... yes I am not shoot against sun... Laughing

PostPosted: Mon Nov 28, 2011 5:18 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

One from yesterday

PostPosted: Mon Nov 28, 2011 5:24 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

wonderful Dustin!!

PostPosted: Mon Nov 28, 2011 6:34 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

kds315* wrote:
Superb images Dustin! Another great proof why I have three of them (in Nikon mount) Wink

Klaus, would you, by any chance, sell one Razz

PostPosted: Wed Nov 30, 2011 8:05 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Really nice shots Dustin.

PostPosted: Fri Dec 02, 2011 1:15 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Thanks for the comments! HEading out in a bit to get more shots (hopefully!).

There is a Tokina *just like mine) on ebay with 5 days left. The bidding was at $61 last I checked, but had 12 bids.

PostPosted: Fri Dec 02, 2011 10:52 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Dustin Gent wrote:
Thanks for the comments! HEading out in a bit to get more shots (hopefully!).

There is a Tokina *just like mine) on ebay with 5 days left. The bidding was at $61 last I checked, but had 12 bids.

Is this it?

Click here to see on Ebay

PostPosted: Sat Dec 03, 2011 12:14 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Until Dustin answer , yes , I have same one and I confirm excellent lens.

PostPosted: Sat Dec 03, 2011 2:12 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Attila wrote:
Until Dustin answer , yes , I have same one and I confirm excellent lens.

Well, I too can confirm it is an excellent lens. Although my copy is a Vivitar (SN 37xxx...) and it's for Canon FD mount. I love mine; just wish I had it in Nikon or M42 instead of C/FD.

PostPosted: Sat Dec 03, 2011 2:52 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Maybe you can buy one of the very commonly seen (and dirt cheap) Tokina RMC 2.8/28s and swap the mount?

I am not 100% sure it will fit, but I do have Tokina 3.5/17 and 2.8/28, I can get them out and have a look and see if they are the same at the rear, the 17 is in Konica AR and the 28 in Contax/Yashica.

PostPosted: Sat Dec 03, 2011 6:31 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Ian, that's a great idea! If you wouldn't mind, I sure would like to know. I have a Vivitar 24mm in Oly mount here, but I think it was made by Kiron and not Tokina.

PostPosted: Sun Dec 04, 2011 8:08 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

I'd be interested to know how IQ is Tokina open 3,5 Would it night photo and star landscapes?

PostPosted: Mon Dec 05, 2011 6:34 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

cooltouch, yes that is the same one I saw. WOW, that is more than what I paid for mine shipped! Only me and one other dude was bidding on this lens. Again, i didn't even know it was Nikon mount until after I paid for it, lol.

The painted hills was shot wide open right after sunset. Pretty wicked sharp I think. It was 364 seconds (like 6 minutes and change..)
The other two were taken this past weekend in the frigid cold, lol.

PostPosted: Mon Dec 05, 2011 9:06 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

cooltouch wrote:
Ian, that's a great idea! If you wouldn't mind, I sure would like to know. I have a Vivitar 24mm in Oly mount here, but I think it was made by Kiron and not Tokina.

I took a look and they look interchangeable, seems the lens is designed to take a number of different mounts of varying thicknesses.

Now that means you can swap the mounts between 3.5/17s no problem, but I am not sure if it also means you can swap the mounts between a 17 and a 28, I reckon you can but without trying it, I can't be 100% sure.

I've been shooting my Konica Hexanon 4/21 recently and I have to say, the Tokina 3.5/17 is every bit as good, maybe even better in some regards, the Konica seems to be less flare resistant and have a little more distortion, so it really does seem to me that the Tokina lens is remarkable.

Sorry if I mentioned this before, but I also had a Tokina AT-X 3.5/17 in Canon EF, just sold it to a friend, that is identical optically to the older RMC version I think. If not, then the differences are so slight that we can't discern them. Hasten to add, I only sold it because I sold my EOS and have the RMC version to use on my NEX.

PostPosted: Mon Dec 05, 2011 1:47 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Upeita kuvia Dustin!!! Millä body kuvaat? Is this long exposure-landscape photo vigneting wide open so bad, whether or not you have added the image vignetting? Otherwise, it looks pretty sharp although it is small

PostPosted: Mon Dec 05, 2011 1:49 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Great pictures, Dustin! Which body are you shooting?
Is this long exposure-landscape photo vigneting wide open so bad, whether or not you have added the image vignetting? Otherwise, it looks pretty sharp although it is small

PostPosted: Mon Dec 05, 2011 5:13 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

thanks!

It could be vignetting, but it also was past sunset when I took this (6 min exposure). I use a Canon 1Ds (original) for everything until I can afford to upgrade

PostPosted: Mon Dec 05, 2011 11:17 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Muddus, very wide angle lenses tend to develop a hot spot in the center. With some large and medium format ultra wide angles, it is possible to buy a center spot filter for them to knock down the excessive center brightness. I think it is this phenomenon you are seeing in Dustin's photos.

PostPosted: Tue Dec 06, 2011 2:17 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

one from October (i think)

PostPosted: Tue Dec 06, 2011 7:03 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

I think you're cooltouch right. I tried to dig a Dustin landscape photo corners open, but there was no sharpness. f-16 will certainly help in this area. My Rollei 21mm is near free hotspot phenomenon, and the corners are as good as center range. Body 5DC

PostPosted: Sun Dec 18, 2011 6:07 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

one taken last summer.

PostPosted: Sun Dec 18, 2011 6:09 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

wonderful Dustin!

PostPosted: Mon Dec 19, 2011 4:44 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

What an amazing scenery's image Shocked !!!!

PostPosted: Mon Dec 19, 2011 4:57 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Dustin Gent wrote:
one taken last summer.

Fantastic image.

PostPosted: Wed Jan 11, 2012 11:41 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Here is one I took on Saturday evening..