Home

Please support mflenses.com if you need any graphic related work order it from us, click on above banner to order!

SearchSearch MemberlistMemberlist RegisterRegister ProfileProfile Log in to check your private messagesLog in to check your private messages Log inLog in

RMC Tokina 17mm F3.5
View previous topic :: View next topic  

PostPosted: Thu Nov 17, 2011 5:40 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

absolutely marvelous picture(s)!!

thanks for sharing.

Tf

PostPosted: Thu Nov 17, 2011 7:42 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

This lens is like an ouija board! Everytime I think about getting a Samyang 14mm 2.8, I come home from a shoot and am blown away by this combo! I will never ever sell this lens. If you guys can pick one up, DO IT (if you haven't already!). I got mine for $130 shipped! The lens also is VERY well built! My camera dropped about 2-3 feet onto some rocks and water a few weeks ago. Nothing but some paint loss on the lens barrel. Also has been submerged in salt water and fresh water (last week it was dark and I misjudged the water depth in The Gorge) Smile

Anyways, here is a shot taken several months ago.

It is Lower Lewis River Falls.

PostPosted: Thu Nov 17, 2011 7:56 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Shocked another stunning picture!

PostPosted: Thu Nov 17, 2011 8:36 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Well, I would buy this lens because I love wide-angle lenses but I have got CZ Distagon 4/18 ...

tf

PostPosted: Thu Nov 17, 2011 8:52 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

trifox wrote:
Well, I would buy this lens because I love wide-angle lenses but I have got CZ Distagon 4/18 ...

tf

Sell it and buy this Laughing Laughing Laughing

PostPosted: Thu Nov 17, 2011 10:06 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

The Tokina is better! Laughing

PostPosted: Fri Nov 18, 2011 2:42 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Dustin Gent wrote:
. . . My camera dropped about 2-3 feet onto some rocks and water a few weeks ago. Nothing but some paint loss on the lens barrel. Also has been submerged in salt water and fresh water (last week it was dark and I misjudged the water depth in The Gorge) Smile

Since it hit both salt and fresh water, hopefully it took a dunk in the fresh stuff after the salt. Otherwise the salt will crystalize and will corrode the inner workings of the lens. Dunking it and rinsing it thoroughly in fresh water can prevent this. I did this once with a Nikon FG and it survived!

A related question for those of you who might have had a chance to use both this lens and the Tamron 17mm -- would you consider the Tamron to be equivalent to the Tokina? Seems like whenever I find either, if the Tokina is in Nikon mount, it sells for about the same as the Tamron. Around $300 or so. Wish I could fall into a deal like Dustin found.

PostPosted: Fri Nov 18, 2011 5:27 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

yes it took a dunk after the salt water. Only the body went under the water a bit, the lens just got splashed on both times. I have cleaned them both:)

PostPosted: Fri Nov 18, 2011 7:22 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

incredible images.. Dustin!

If I wouldn't already have this lens, I would be very tempted to get it now. Very Happy

But it wasn't the lens who made thoses pictures (it just helps you), it's your eye.. so congrats, I dont think I will be able to create anything good like this, even with the same or better equipment.

PostPosted: Fri Nov 18, 2011 9:55 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

I have both Michael, Tamron SP and Tokina I will let you know my opinion about them, based on samples what I seen here I think Tokina is better.

PostPosted: Fri Nov 18, 2011 11:53 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Superb images Dustin! Another great proof why I have three of them (in Nikon mount) Wink

PostPosted: Fri Nov 18, 2011 11:56 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

The three Amigos! Laughing

I'd love to see a comparison with the 18mm Distagon and the 18mm SMC Pentax, but as it is now the Tokina does not leave anything to be desired. And I'm quite picky about IQ, especially with regards to extreme WA lenses.

PostPosted: Fri Nov 18, 2011 12:02 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

me too, that would be rather interesting to see, aside with my 4/18mm Nikkor. Who has all three (four) lenses?

PostPosted: Fri Nov 18, 2011 5:36 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Thanks for the feedback, Atilla. Helps a lot.

PostPosted: Fri Nov 18, 2011 6:47 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

kds315* wrote:
me too, that would be rather interesting to see, aside with my 4/18mm Nikkor. Who has all three (four) lenses?

I had Nikkor 18mm it did not impress me on my Olympus E-1 , have to say the truth, the 2x crop camera is not so ideal platform to test wide angle lens and on a E-1 it did not impress me so much as other wide lenses too. I was very happy with Olympus OM 21mm and Flektogon 20mm lenses.

PostPosted: Fri Nov 18, 2011 9:32 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

I only bought it for UV photography, but I wondered how it would perform compared to the other ones.

PostPosted: Sat Nov 19, 2011 3:37 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Hmm, how does it work for UV photography? If it does work, that is great news, I would love to try some UV shots.

PostPosted: Sat Nov 19, 2011 10:18 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Not very well but at least a little bit penetrates the lens. You like to try that out?
Need a suitable camera first... But wide angle UV is not really that great anyway.

PostPosted: Sat Nov 19, 2011 6:17 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Has anybody a diagram showing the optical formula of this lens?

PostPosted: Sat Nov 19, 2011 9:24 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

kds315* wrote:
Not very well but at least a little bit penetrates the lens. You like to try that out?
Need a suitable camera first... But wide angle UV is not really that great anyway.

I have been trying to find a suitable lens for a while, not seen one for sale yet.

PostPosted: Sun Nov 20, 2011 5:16 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Taken yesterday at Lower Lewis River Falls in the snow

PostPosted: Sun Nov 20, 2011 5:36 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Attila wrote:
kds315* wrote:

I had Nikkor 18mm it did not impress me on my Olympus E-1 , have to say the truth, the 2x crop camera is not so ideal platform to test wide angle lens and on a E-1 it did not impress me so much as other wide lenses too. I was very happy with Olympus OM 21mm and Flektogon 20mm lenses.

Have you tried any of the Nikkor 20s? My favorite is the old Nikkor-UD 20mm f/3.5. Rather expensive, but only half the price of a new Voigtlander Color Skopar.

PostPosted: Sun Nov 20, 2011 5:40 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Dustin Gent wrote:
Taken yesterday at Lower Lewis River Falls in the snow

Snow? *sigh* Still running the A/C down here. I'd love to take some snow pics this season, but I just don't feel like having to travel 1,000 miles or so for the opportunity. Nice dusting you got, though. It sure is fun just looking at the photos you're capturing with that lens.

PostPosted: Sun Nov 20, 2011 10:18 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

blende8 wrote:

Just look : www.tokinalens.com/products/tokina/mfl-08b.html

Just a small diagram on the left side.

PostPosted: Sun Nov 20, 2011 11:04 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

corlan wrote:
blende8 wrote:

Just look : www.tokinalens.com/products/tokina/mfl-08b.html

Just a small diagram on the left side.

Hi and welcome to the forum!

The link in your post is BLOCKED (anti-spam prevention)

The link is OK now here:

www.tokinalens.com/products/tokina/mfl-08b.html

Thanks for posting the URL.

tf