Home

Please support mflenses.com if you need any graphic related work order it from us, click on above banner to order!

SearchSearch MemberlistMemberlist RegisterRegister ProfileProfile Log in to check your private messagesLog in to check your private messages Log inLog in

RMC Tokina 17mm F3.5
View previous topic :: View next topic  

PostPosted: Sun Jan 30, 2011 11:54 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Got myself one of these lenses last week, to use on my 40d. I used to have one in the past, on my OM2, and I agree it is a great lens.

PostPosted: Thu Apr 28, 2011 3:47 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

I've just been offered one of these lenses in PK fit for £50 GBP, 56 Euro, does that sound about right ?

I haven't got anything this wide, and a very quick bit research shows it to be a decent lens.

PostPosted: Thu Apr 28, 2011 3:49 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Lloydy wrote:
I've just been offered one of these lenses in PK fit for £50 GBP, 56 Euro, does that sound about right ?

I haven't got anything this wide, and a very quick bit research shows it to be a decent lens.

Yep, I would get it for that price, immediately! Also perfectly usable on the Canon 5D with just a PK to EF adapter; no leverectomy or mirror shave needed. Recommended!

PostPosted: Thu Apr 28, 2011 5:00 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

I have a Vivitar 17/3.5, built by Tokina, and by all accounts I've come across, it's the same lens. Mine is a very nice optic, the only drawback being it's in Canon FD mount so it's of limited use with my EOS DSLR. But I've got some Velvia 50 slides I could show you that I took with that lens. If I were offered one in PK mount, I'd jump on it in a heartbeat.

PostPosted: Thu Apr 28, 2011 5:27 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

I thought this lens had really bad distortion and for that reason people preferred the Flek?

For a UWA, I don't mind as I make creative use of perspective distortion.

PostPosted: Thu Apr 28, 2011 5:54 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

great results Peter!

for 56 Euro it's a great deal, I'd take it immediately!
still looking for one, had the Vivitar minty but because it was in Nikon mount fitting badly on my Pentax, sold it again here in this forum for over 100 Euro

does anyone know if the Tokina ATX AF version optically is the same lens too?

PostPosted: Fri Jun 10, 2011 12:55 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

does anybody know if the coating of the tokina and the Viv version is the same?

PostPosted: Fri Jun 10, 2011 3:13 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

martinsmith99 wrote:
I thought this lens had really bad distortion and for that reason people preferred the Flek?

I tested my Tokina-made Vivitar version of the 17mm for this. I did it by lying on the floor of my father's office and taking a picture of the ceiling. I could get the entire perimeter of the ceiling in the frame. I detected noticeable barrel distortion with mine. But I don't care. Most of the time when I use my 17mm it's for nature scenics, where barrel distortion isn't going to matter. And when I do use it for straight-lined subjects, like architecture, I haven't yet felt the need to correct any of the images for barrel distortion. It's just not that big of a deal, really.

@agent_cooper: I don't know for sure, but I do know that this has been the difference between other Tokina lenses and the same lenses built for Vivitar, e.g., the "Bokina" the Tokina 90mm f/2.8 macro. The Vivitar 90mm f/2.8 macro is built by Tokina but the coatings are different, and by all accounts I've read, the Tokina coatings are superior to those they used on the Vivitar. So this might be a justification for going with the Tokina instead of the Vivitar in this case. But if you ask me, I'd say it's a minor one.

PostPosted: Fri Jun 10, 2011 4:04 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

cooltouch wrote:
e.g., the "Bokina" the Tokina 90mm f/2.8 macro. The Vivitar 90mm f/2.8 macro is built by Tokina but the coatings are different,

The "Bokina" is Tokina 90mm F/2.5, and the related Vivitar one is Series 1 90mm F/2.5 .

PostPosted: Fri Jun 10, 2011 4:24 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Thanks for the correction, Maple. Sometimes the old memory slips a cog every once in a while.

PostPosted: Fri Jun 10, 2011 4:43 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

cooltouch wrote:
martinsmith99 wrote:

@agent_cooper: I don't know for sure, but I do know that this has been the difference between other Tokina lenses and the same lenses built for Vivitar, e.g., the "Bokina" the Tokina 90mm f/2.8 macro. The Vivitar 90mm f/2.8 macro is built by Tokina but the coatings are different, and by all accounts I've read, the Tokina coatings are superior to those they used on the Vivitar. So this might be a justification for going with the Tokina instead of the Vivitar in this case. But if you ask me, I'd say it's a minor one.

sounds weird, but I do not want a better coating since i am looking for tremendous iris ghosts and flare with a wideangle lens. Vivitar is known for relatively low flare resistance. Does anybody else recommend a wideangle which is prone to §bautiful" flare??

PostPosted: Fri Jun 10, 2011 11:09 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Well, shoot, if flare is what you're after, then I'd recommend one of the cheapo UW 19-35mm 1:3.5-4.5 zooms. I've seen them in Phoenix and Cosina brands. Search eBay for them and you'll get hits. They're plenty cheap, and may deliver the sort of flare you're looking for.

PostPosted: Sun Jul 03, 2011 8:31 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

cooltouch wrote:
I have the Vivitar 17/3.5, made by Tokina, and I love mine. Unfortunately it's in Canon FD mount. I'd like to find another 17mm in Nikon mount, but all the ones I see on eBay go for a lot these days.

I managed to buy for 45 E a Vivitar version of this lens in FD mount .
Your pictures make me think that it's going to be a good 26mm on my NEX3 and my widest lens for a while. I am waiting for the adaptor.

PostPosted: Mon Oct 24, 2011 7:18 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

If anybody plans on selling his example (Nikon mount) I d gladly take contact with him Smile

PostPosted: Mon Oct 24, 2011 9:00 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Nikon versions are the most expensive ones. There are a few on ebay right now btw.

PostPosted: Mon Nov 14, 2011 4:19 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Crazy I found this thread. I bought this lens, and took a gamble. really not a lot of people using this lens, so not a bunch on info out there. At the time when I bought this lens, I had an OM Zuiko 24mm 2.8. I had the 24mm 2.0 that was superb, and the 24mm 2.8 was just as good.

I was told by some people over at FredMiranda (on the alt forums) that the Tokina wouldn't be nearly as good as the OM. Well once I took ownership of this lens in late April, I sold the Zuiko. The Tokina I have is the same one as stated here. It is in NIKON mount, and I use it on my Canon 1Ds via a fotodiox Nikon>EOS adapter. I really like this lens!

here is a shot, taken last Friday.

more samples, if interested, can be found at the following sites:

http://dustingentadventures.blogspot.com/

G+

FaceBook

PostPosted: Mon Nov 14, 2011 9:08 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Such a beautiful picture! Welcome!

PostPosted: Mon Nov 14, 2011 9:37 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Welcome and indeed... The 17mm f/3.5 RMC Tokina is way better than many tend to believe. For instance the 20mm f/2.8 Flektogon is definitely worse (especially in the corners). The Flektogon may have slightly better colors though.

PostPosted: Mon Nov 14, 2011 10:04 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Lovely image!
The best images from this thread should go into the "Best of lenses" gallery also!

PostPosted: Tue Nov 15, 2011 1:03 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Thanks guys:) I absolutely LOVE this lens! Here is one I just worked on. This was taken on the Washington side of the Columbia River Gorge a few weeks ago.

PostPosted: Tue Nov 15, 2011 1:27 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Beautiful!!
But let me add, that although I'm sure the lens is great, here we are mostly seeing a very skilled photographer!

PostPosted: Tue Nov 15, 2011 5:07 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Thanks Orio, that is too kind!

Here is one taken of Proxy Falls a month or so ago.

PostPosted: Tue Nov 15, 2011 5:49 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Wow! Shocked So many amazing pictures! Thank you!

PostPosted: Tue Nov 15, 2011 6:15 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Welcome, Dustin! Your outstanding photography really shows off this lens well. I am very impressed by its corner sharpness. And your 1Ds being a full frame camera, we're getting to see the actual edges. I had mentioned above that I own the Vivtar-labeled version of this lens, but mine's in Canon FD mount. So far I've taken some photos with Ektar 100 and Velvia 50 using this lens, but the subject matter was limited, and IMO, not a very thorough test of the lens's capabilities. I too would like to get one eventually in Nikon mount so I can use it on both my Nikon film cameras and my EOS digital. Seeing your photos further confirms my reasons for wanting it.

Here's a pic I took with mine using a Canon F-1 and Ektar 100. Scanned on an Epson 4990:

If you look closely at the bottom corners in the above photo, especially the bottom left, it does appear to be soft at the very corners. I don't recall what the aperture setting was that day. Overcast with ISO 100 film, though, it probably wasn't stopped down very far.

PostPosted: Tue Nov 15, 2011 10:46 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

thanks everyone for the too kind of words! this lens i got way lucky on. i heard the nikon mount version was the best, but didn't realize it was a Nikon mount until i received it, as the ebay auction wasn't very clear - but i am glad!

most my shots are at f/16. The lens is really well built as well - but that is expected as it is from the "film era". Only thing i wish i had was the lens hood, which i have heard are hard to come by.

nice images in here as well!