Home

Please support mflenses.com if you need any graphic related work order it from us, click on above banner to order!

SearchSearch MemberlistMemberlist RegisterRegister ProfileProfile Log in to check your private messagesLog in to check your private messages Log inLog in

Risks of Buying a Lens With Fungus Issues
View previous topic :: View next topic  

PostPosted: Sat Nov 14, 2020 4:49 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Pancolart wrote:
I usually don't buy fungus lenses in winter. They can smell terribly inside house. I want discount from seller if he fails to mention it. Nevertheless there is little trick i read somewhere: put such lens in closed plastic bag together with coal. In month or two coal absorbs the smell. I usually add a tea bag Smile.

The fungus that grows on a lens doesn't smell. Mildew smells, but that is different.

PostPosted: Sat Nov 14, 2020 6:07 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

And after opening those tombs they DO start degrading. There are fungus spots all over the paintings inside Tut's tomb now which were not there for 3000 years before. The breath of tourists provides the moisture. We are loving these site to death. Some of the cave art in Europe is off limits for this exact reason.

I will only buy a fungus infected lens if 1. its cheap 2. I have a good idea how to clean it.

Notes:Minor infection on the inside of the front lens is pretty inconsequential as far as shooting.
The cross contamination other lenses is not something I worry about for a couple of reasons, I keep them separated with the plastic bags, and there are fungus spores virtually everywhere. The air around you is filled with bacteria, bacterial spores and fungus spores. That is why food starts degrading soon after opening say a sealed can soup. In college we did an experiment in microbiology class. One petri dish was left closed after pouring the growth medium inside and the other was left open. Both grew cultures but the number and type in the open one was orders of magnitude worse. Keep your soup covered after boiling and it will stay good a lot longer than one left open.

Last edited by jamaeolus on Sun Nov 15, 2020 6:41 pm; edited 1 time in total

PostPosted: Sat Nov 14, 2020 9:12 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Lens complexity and construction coupled with number of elements is risk factor...

PostPosted: Sat Nov 14, 2020 10:24 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

I'm happy to try to clean a triplet or a tessar or some other simple prime design. Zoom lenses however, not really, they can be very complex.

PostPosted: Sun Nov 15, 2020 7:52 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

"Because those tombs are dry as heck. I don't think any moisture can penetrate them. That is partly why the mummified remains are in such a high state of preservation"

Which proves:- keep your lens dry and fungus will not germinate and eventually die.

PostPosted: Sun Nov 15, 2020 9:16 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

*** In college we did an experiment in microbiology class. One petri dish was left closed after pouring the growth medium inside and the other was left open. Both grew cultures but the number and type in the open one was orders of magnitude worse. Keep your soup covered after boiling and it will stay good a lot longer than one left open.**

...a bit off topic but AAMOI:-
on tv last week they left a slice of bread open and eventually it was covered in different types of fungus fighting for dominance, but what was disturbing was black fungus was also present and this can be toxic to humans Arrow Shocked

PostPosted: Sun Nov 15, 2020 6:45 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

OK now i am way off topic. Fungi are amazing, and kinda scary. My state approved treatment of depression with Psilocybin mushrooms. There have been a couple of good studies to support that use.

PostPosted: Sun Nov 15, 2020 6:48 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

jamaeolus wrote:
OK now i am way off topic. Fungi are amazing, and kinda scary. My state approved treatment of depression with Psilocybin mushrooms. There have been a couple of good studies to support that use.

Psilocybin has been known as an effective treatment for depression for over 30 years but it's one of those things that is hard to get approved for use because it's not profitable compared to all the chemical drugs the big pharma companies make.