Home

Please support mflenses.com if you need any graphic related work order it from us, click on above banner to order!

SearchSearch MemberlistMemberlist RegisterRegister ProfileProfile Log in to check your private messagesLog in to check your private messages Log inLog in

Ring flash for Nikon-D50 or Olympus-E1
View previous topic :: View next topic  

PostPosted: Thu Mar 01, 2007 10:31 am    Post subject: Ring flash for Nikon-D50 or Olympus-E1 Reply with quote

Is anybody has experience with ring flashes for Nikon or Olympus ? I mean for reasonable price and acceptable performance. I know excellent for macro works, but I heard some people use for portrait photography too. If I would buy one what is your recommendation ?

PostPosted: Fri Mar 02, 2007 8:09 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Seymore thanks for advice! I don't know really need or not I had never been before. I would make professional macro photos. I bought quality lenses like Kiron 105mm f/2.8 and Tamron SP90 etc. I found for small subjects ,flash is necessary, NIKON D-50 built in flash worked fine. I am curious about special flashes like ring flash.

PostPosted: Thu Mar 22, 2007 10:59 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

I am going to get shot down here. Don’t waste your time or money with a ring flash. Do you really want flat boring lighting with no control? A good ring flash is fine for record photos needed by forensics, dentists or surgeons but photography? That is there only professional use, not including the huge 2-4 foot studio units?
If you want convenience then make or have made an adjustable two armed bracket to mount a flash either side of the camera at a distance of 12 two 20 inches away, adjustable. You then need two flash units. They can be fairly cheap small manual units that you can control the output of with layers of diffuser (Nice word for a Dirty white hanky) I believe Canon or Nikon will sell you such a ‘Macro flash bracket’ for an extortionate amount of money but it easy to make. I actually use clamps to clamp my flash units to whatever is handy. That is even cheaper and more versatile and they work for macro or for lighting the inside of a church. For most Macro work in the field (Chasing moths etc) a Stofen diffuser or home made mini softbox used with off camera flash will give a better shot than a ring of light round your lens. Flash is an almost perfect light source that is so versatile and it is so easy to get to grips with.

PostPosted: Thu Mar 22, 2007 11:04 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

I will try your suggestion first, thank you for opening my eyes Smile