Home

Please support mflenses.com if you need any graphic related work order it from us, click on above banner to order!

SearchSearch MemberlistMemberlist RegisterRegister ProfileProfile Log in to check your private messagesLog in to check your private messages Log inLog in

Rikenon 50mm f2 question
View previous topic :: View next topic  

PostPosted: Sun Aug 07, 2022 9:44 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Looking good.

PostPosted: Sun Aug 07, 2022 10:12 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

blotafton wrote:

A dogs enacted sequel?

PostPosted: Sun Aug 07, 2022 10:19 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

D1N0 wrote:
Looking good.

In fact, a pleasing balance. The character recalls some shots from Fujinon 2.2/55 you (blotafton) exposed here.

I did not shoot with RX version in a similarly complex visual environment, still its bokeh seems to me on smoother side.

Here is a cople of shots I could find in my files, giving an idea of OOF rendering.

PostPosted: Mon Aug 08, 2022 8:52 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

This is the xr Rikenon 50/2 Metal version:

This is the L version (Plastic)

PostPosted: Tue Aug 09, 2022 7:23 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

[quote="alex ph"]
blotafton wrote:

A dogs enacted sequel?

Haha very close!

PostPosted: Tue Aug 09, 2022 7:52 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

alex ph wrote:
D1N0 wrote:
Looking good.

In fact, a pleasing balance. The character recalls some shots from Fujinon 2.2/55 you (blotafton) exposed here.

I did not shoot with RX version in a similarly complex visual environment, still its bokeh seems to me on smoother side.

Here is a cople of shots I could find in my files, giving an idea of OOF rendering.

Thanks!

That was some time ago I tested the Fujinon. There are some things to consider here that could make my shots look less smooth. It could be that the XR is a bit smoother or it could be that I purposely tried to bring out the character with difficult scenes.

There is an interesting term that I think was coined by Zenography on youtube. And that is the "unsweet spot" It describes the spot where the bokeh turn from smooth to not as smooth. I think he would rate my #1 and 2 as sweet and 3, 4, 5 unsweet. And while I do not find them unsweet I think he has identified a real phenomenon.

The Fujinon is a bit similar in the center yes but I like the edges more on a classical Double Gauss like this more. The Fujinon looks more chaotic.

So far my impression is quite good. I did get some unexpected low contrast shots. But not being able to directly compare I may be overly critical.[

PostPosted: Tue Aug 09, 2022 7:54 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

D1N0 wrote:

I like them, both look similar.

PostPosted: Wed Aug 10, 2022 1:33 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

In fact, both look very similar. Then that is all the question of patched background.

And the observation on sweet and unsweet spots is really interesting.

PostPosted: Wed Aug 10, 2022 8:20 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Supposedley the Ricoh XR 50mm F/2 is known as the "Japanese Summicron" because it is sharp.

PostPosted: Wed Aug 10, 2022 8:45 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

blotafton wrote:
D1N0 wrote:

I like them, both look similar.

They are, but the non L version has better contrast wide open.

PostPosted: Wed Aug 10, 2022 8:48 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

DonN wrote:
Supposedley the Ricoh XR 50mm F/2 is known as the "Japanese Summicron" because it is sharp.

I think that was the idea of a particular blogger, that everybody is repeating, but it is also a lens with very good contrast:

Former Sugar plant by The lens profile, on Flickr

PostPosted: Thu Aug 11, 2022 9:55 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

New shots of the dogs.

Sony a7. Converted from raw with custom tone curves that increase contrast compared to out of camera.

I have seen that claim too but don't think that my m42 version lives up to Summicron standards.

PostPosted: Thu Aug 11, 2022 1:47 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Comparison XR L vs just XR wide open cropped bright light no editing:

I focussed on the Kliko logo

#1 XR L

#2 Just XR

The just XR is a bit less glowy so I guess it has less spherical aberration.

PostPosted: Thu Aug 11, 2022 2:03 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

And if you think this is unusably soft. F4 just exposure correction -1 stop

These pics are a bit sharper than they seem because of the compression the forum software applies.

PostPosted: Thu Aug 11, 2022 4:53 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

I’ve had this lens in the past and remember having tested it against some other lenses. Unfortunately I cannot find this test at the moment. I remember that it had good resolution, but not the best overall IQ (CA’s, contrast, saturation etc).
The comparison with a summicron is exaggerated.

PostPosted: Thu Aug 11, 2022 5:18 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

A don't have a summicron so I wouldn't know. It's an ok lens like most 50ties with it's own character. Sharpness stopped down is very good. Contrast too as long as you don't shoot anywhere near the sun. It could use a hood despite of the receded front element. It is on the cool side colour wise. Bokeh is smooth and highlights are neat, not very bubbly.
Just made some more pics with it. It was one of my earlier vintage lenses so the first ones are quite old.

https://www.flickr.com/photos/randomdump/albums/72157631110917184

PostPosted: Sat Aug 20, 2022 1:38 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Here the Rikenon is compared to a Minolta MC Rokkor PF 50mm f2.

Bokeh.

The biggest visual difference is the bokeh character. 6/4 vs 6/5 design. My preference is the Rikenon.

We also see cooler tones from the Rikenon. I see cooler color as a positive as it should mean higher transmittance of blue light. This small difference is easy to fix with white balance but stronger warm tones like in some Samyang or radioactive lenses are harder to deal with.

The last thing is something I noticed earlier and that is lower contrast on the Rikenon. See the right side of the image.

Sony A7, Fixed WB, Raw format, ACR default settings.

#1 Auto Rikenon 50mm f2

#2 MC Rokkor PF 50mm f2

At f/5.6 they are very close.

I give a slight edge to the Minolta in punch and a small sharpness win. I'm not sure if the focus was 100% the same though.

#3 Auto Rikenon 50mm f2

#4 MC Rokkor PF 50mm f2

PostPosted: Thu Oct 20, 2022 2:51 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

I continue to harbor a sneaking suspicion that the commonly available Sears 50mm f2 with the red lettering on the face is identical to one version of the 50/2 Rikenons. The build and cosmetic details appear identical, and I have an "AUTO MC" Sears 35-70mm f/3.5 zoom in PK mount from the same era that is absolutely a re-branded Rikenon.