Home

Please support mflenses.com if you need any graphic related work order it from us, click on above banner to order!

SearchSearch MemberlistMemberlist RegisterRegister ProfileProfile Log in to check your private messagesLog in to check your private messages Log inLog in

Ricoh P & S
View previous topic :: View next topic  

PostPosted: Fri Nov 28, 2008 12:59 am    Post subject: Ricoh P & S Reply with quote

I would like to share with you an image I took this morning (Thursday) at Borders Book store.
I'm afraid the camera is a P & S digital but the picture was in the Photography section of the store!
http://roblesliephotography.blogspot.com/
Image was shot in RAW and converted in Photoshop CS3.
I believe this image clearly shows what a great choice of photography books my local Borders have on offer, and they provide some comfort to read them in!

PostPosted: Fri Nov 28, 2008 11:28 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

It's a great tiny camera!!
I love it, is coming in my backpack since I bought it. And I use it every day...
However, I'm not sure if I had to choose now, probably will get a Sigma DP1...

Jes.

PostPosted: Sat Nov 29, 2008 6:24 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Being pessimistic a camera is always a compromise or to be optimistic it is one that fulfils some requirements very well.
I wanted a pocket camera that shot RAW and had a wide lens, I also feel the need for a viewfinder and not just a rear screen. I also wanted a full range of shooting options that could be accessed immediately. Finally I wasn’t prepared to pay that much for one.
The GX100 gives me what I want. It is by no means perfect but it is one I have had my eye on for some time and I bought it from my friend at a good price. He now has the Canon G10 and Ricoh GRD II. I was offered the GRD 1 for the same price but its fixed 28mm lens was too much of a compromise.
I believe the LX3 or the new Ricoh GX200 are better but they would be over twice the amount I paid for my GX100 and the only real advantage would be the ability to shoot faster RAW files. The GX100 actually has the same 10 megapixel, 1/1.63-inch CCD as the Panasonic LX3 and the same FL of 5.1mm (24mm) at the wide end of the zoom.
The GX is OK up to and inc 400iso and I have discovered and love the gritty BW shots you can get from this camera at 800 and 1600iso. Doing it in the RAW converter (It shoots DNG) is the best way as in camera processing applies noise reduction which isn’t needed for a 1600iso film look, in fact 800 and 1600 are unusable if shooting JPEG. The noise on the GX at higher iso is very film like but includes colour noise which is eliminated by BW conversion. In camera processing turns the image into soft mush by applying very poor noise reduction.
The little camera has a lot of very good features and is a dream to use, all the buttons and wheels are to do with manual settings and the two wheel operation is very much like a DSLR. It is IMO a very capable tool that isn’t anything like a basic P & S or a do it all semi compact like the G10.
After 2 weeks use, I believe it is about the best 'Street' photography camera I have used or read about with the exception of perhaps an M8.
I shall be posting lots of pictures from the camera on my Blog and my flickr Street photo stream.
I am still happy with my Canon G5 and will still be using it. In some respects it is a very different camera that still has a place in my tool bag.

I would not say I expect a lot from my cameras. Here is a shot done this afternoon at about 5-00pm as the town prepared to switch the Xmas lights on.
Ricoh GX100 P & S hand held 1/3 sec f3.2 200iso 5.1mm (=24mm) Aperture priority no adjustments, Raw file. It does show camera shake at full size.
I believe the camera has captured almost as much DR as my DSLR. No highlights are blown and there is plenty of clean shadow detail. Of course it is a great example of the benefit of shooting in RAW.

And a shot from earlier in the afternoon
1/64sec f 4 200iso 35mm equiv.

100% Crop shows some camera shake as the shot was taken ‘On the move’

Last edited by Rob Leslie on Mon Dec 01, 2008 10:13 am; edited 3 times in total

PostPosted: Sat Nov 29, 2008 9:04 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

It always must be a great feeling to have a camera that you are "in touch" with. I think that this bond between camera and photographer will ultimately improve the number of images that are "keepers". Congratulations on finding the camera that suits you very well.

PostPosted: Sun Nov 30, 2008 10:12 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

I have this camera too, after seeing Jes' wonderful shots - I use flash so the ISO performance is less important for me - and the manual focusing is great! Smile