Home

Please support mflenses.com if you need any graphic related work order it from us, click on above banner to order!

SearchSearch MemberlistMemberlist RegisterRegister ProfileProfile Log in to check your private messagesLog in to check your private messages Log inLog in

Ricoh Auto Rikenon 55mm 1:1.4
View previous topic :: View next topic  

PostPosted: Fri Sep 02, 2011 6:32 pm    Post subject: Ricoh Auto Rikenon 55mm 1:1.4 Reply with quote

I have the Ricoh Auto Rikenon 55mm 1:1.4 lens and I do have problem in recognizing its mount. I thought it is Pentax K compatybile, but this lens won't mount on any Pentax. Tried to google sth, and found this site: http://www.destoutz.ch/lens_55mm_f1.4_21657.html, that claims it is Nikon mount. Looks similar, but still - it won't mount on my Nikon F2 Sad

Here're pictures of the lens. Do you recognize which mount is it?

PostPosted: Fri Sep 02, 2011 8:41 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

It looks exactly like Nikon.

However ! This comes from the early model Singlex.

See here - http://www.cameraguild.jp/nekosan/singrex.htm

"The lens mount of the Ricoh Singlex is slightly different from
the Nikon F mount. All Nikkor lens can fit on Singlex body. But
Singlex lenses are difficult to fit on Nikon cameras.
IMHO, there must have been some agreement among three companies
on making a Ricoh camera of Nikkorex design."

Maybe if you can find where it is failing to mount, you can make a modification ?

PostPosted: Sat Sep 03, 2011 12:53 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

I was doing some further research on this interesting case.

http://cameragx.com/2010/02/06/sears-sl11-from-1964-made-by-ricoh-or-mamiya-for-sears-with-a-nikon-f-mount/

"Technically, it can be argued that the Ricoh and Sears cameras were not using the real F mount, but only a very close variant: Nikons bayonet mount is using lugs to help position the lens on the body (3 body-side lugs imbricated with 3 lens-side lugs). On the Ricoh and Sears bodies, one of the lugs was shorter than Nikons , leaving room for a larger lug on the lens side. As a consequence, a Nikon lens with its small lug could be mounted on the Ricoh and Sears camera bodies, but the big lug Rikenon lenses shipped with the cameras could not be mounted on a Nikon body. "

So if I understand this correctly -

- Nikon mount has three equal size lugs on the lens - this is true

- The Ricoh Singlex version has one lug that is extra wide, so it will not fit on a Nikon mount.

- The fix would be to grind away the extra part of the Ricoh lens lug until it matches Nikon and can be mounted on a Nikon body. If I were to try this I would probably use a Dremel tool with a grinding wheel. Its not a lot to remove.

PostPosted: Sat Sep 03, 2011 1:35 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Wouldn't just be cleaner to swap the mount for a Nikon's?

PostPosted: Sat Sep 03, 2011 2:29 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Easier to just grind a small bit.

You would have to find a Nikon mount that fits, and gives proper register as well. And you may have to grind, drill or machine the mount to suit anyway.

PostPosted: Sat Sep 03, 2011 3:20 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

I agree with Luis, just grind off a small bit of the bigger lug.

PostPosted: Sat Sep 03, 2011 3:50 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Given the Ricoh's 1964 introduction date, my guess is that this lens is an early version of the 55/1.4 generally credited to Tomioka and widely used on Mamiya - Sekor and Ricoh M42 cameras. We probably shouldn't leave out the possibility of Nitto or even Mamiya producing the lens.

There is much speculation in print and repeated on the web that this lens is actually the 5.8cm f-1.4 Nikkor - S, but that conclusion has also been disputed.

I have two examples of this Rikenon and neither will mount on my Nikons. I suggest following the advice offered above and modify the existing flange rather than try to adapt a Nikon flange.

Bill

PostPosted: Sun Sep 04, 2011 9:17 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

This page says it is a Nikon F Mount
http://www.drricoh.de/SLR/index.html

PostPosted: Mon Sep 05, 2011 9:02 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Thanks guys. I finally managed to mount that Rikenon on my F2. Mounting & unmounting requires some agility, but is definitelly possible Smile

PostPosted: Tue Jun 02, 2015 8:31 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

casualcollector wrote:
Given the Ricoh's 1964 introduction date, my guess is that this lens is an early version of the 55/1.4 generally credited to Tomioka and widely used on Mamiya - Sekor and Ricoh M42 cameras. We probably shouldn't leave out the possibility of Nitto or even Mamiya producing the lens.

There is much speculation in print and repeated on the web that this lens is actually the 5.8cm f-1.4 Nikkor - S, but that conclusion has also been disputed.

I have two examples of this Rikenon and neither will mount on my Nikons. I suggest following the advice offered above and modify the existing flange rather than try to adapt a Nikon flange.

Bill

I received my first early Chinese Biotar Haiou 64 lens (like the one bellow) and strange associations happened: