Home

Please support mflenses.com if you need any graphic related work order it from us, click on above banner to order!

SearchSearch MemberlistMemberlist RegisterRegister ProfileProfile Log in to check your private messagesLog in to check your private messages Log inLog in

Rexatar and Rexagon lenses (in Prinz brochure)
View previous topic :: View next topic  

PostPosted: Thu Mar 31, 2022 12:08 am    Post subject: Rexatar and Rexagon lenses (in Prinz brochure) Reply with quote

Circa mid 1970s?

The branding here is curious. In the 1960s, American Camera and Photo Supply Co. began selling photo products under the Prinz brand name. Subsequently, it appears some Prinz lenses were sub-branded as Rexatar and Rexagon.

My own Rexagon 135mm lens was made in Japan and I would assume all the lenses listed here were made in Japan as well. But I have no information about the manufacturer.

PostPosted: Wed Apr 06, 2022 1:15 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Very nice to know this exists- I had been looking for brochures like this, which have diagrams, but all mostly in America hidden behind expensive shipping...

Thanks for the upload.

PostPosted: Wed Apr 06, 2022 2:30 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

What is the significance of the shaded lens elements in the diagrams?

PostPosted: Wed Apr 06, 2022 10:56 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

eggplant wrote:
Very nice to know this exists- I had been looking for brochures like this, which have diagrams, but all mostly in America hidden behind expensive shipping...

Thanks for the upload.

You're welcome.
Yes, I really enjoy finding brochures for third party lenses. And this one was a pleasant surprise:
Full specs and it's even printed on nice, textured paper.

RokkorDoctor wrote:

That's a good question. At first glance, it would appear that cemented groups are shaded. But that doesn't seem to apply in all cases.
Maybe there are mistakes? Or maybe the shading is just marketing razzle dazzle? Wink

I can confirm my copy of the Rexagon 100mm does have a cemented triplet. Alas, that triplet also has some separation.
And I know the Rexagon 135mm which came along with the brochure also has cemented elements... because it too has separation!

The brochure is better made than the lenses! Confused

PostPosted: Thu Apr 07, 2022 9:10 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

55 wrote:
eggplant wrote:

Thanks for the upload.

You're welcome.
Yes, I really enjoy finding brochures for third party lenses. And this one was a pleasant surprise:
Full specs and it's even printed on nice, textured paper.

RokkorDoctor wrote:

That's a good question. At first glance, it would appear that cemented groups are shaded. But that doesn't seem to apply in all cases.
Maybe there are mistakes? Or maybe the shading is just marketing razzle dazzle? Wink

I can confirm my copy of the Rexagon 100mm does have a cemented triplet. Alas, that triplet also has some separation.
And I know the Rexagon 135mm which came along with the brochure also has cemented elements... because it too has separation!

The brochure is better made than the lenses! Confused

I first thought cemented lenses as well, but as you say, that is not the case for one of these designs.

My best guess would be that they indicate what were at the time considered to be low dispersion glass elements.

PostPosted: Thu Apr 07, 2022 7:04 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

there appear to be two Prinz brands, one was used by Dixons in UK. But their lenses wew simply branded Prinz, no name. Looking at them they probably came from the same budget maker

PostPosted: Tue Apr 12, 2022 5:51 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

RokkorDoctor wrote:
. . .
My best guess would be that they indicate what were at the time considered to be low dispersion glass elements.

Interesting. I usually associate "exotic" glass with first party manufacturers. But I'm not knowledgeable.

philslizzy wrote:
there appear to be two Prinz brands, one was used by Dixons in UK. But their lenses wew simply branded Prinz, no name. Looking at them they probably came from the same budget maker

Yes, it would be intriguing to know for certain if there was an association between the two.

PostPosted: Tue Apr 12, 2022 8:03 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

RokkorDoctor wrote:
that is not the case for one of these designs.

That one may be just an mistake. I think it indicates cemented lenses too.