Home

Please support mflenses.com if you need any graphic related work order it from us, click on above banner to order!

SearchSearch MemberlistMemberlist RegisterRegister ProfileProfile Log in to check your private messagesLog in to check your private messages Log inLog in

Rexagon 23mm f3.5
View previous topic :: View next topic  

PostPosted: Sun Aug 25, 2013 1:28 am    Post subject: Rexagon 23mm f3.5 Reply with quote

I just picked up one of the subject lenses and I'm looking for input:

Click here to see on Ebay

I did try to research the lens prior to purchase; but had no luck at all. I think this might be a real oldie (not sure).

Hoping maybe somebody already owns one of these and can report their satisfaction level.

Any input would be appreciated and of interest . . . cause right now all I have is a giant goose egg. Sad

Obviously nobody else wanted this lens in a serious way. Maybe that's all the input I should need! Rolling Eyes

BTW the lens has a P/K mount showing, though not in the auction photo. Whether there might be an underlying T mount, or whatever, I don't know but I'd certainly like to know. I know about the P/K owing solely to having messaged the seller early on.

PostPosted: Sun Aug 25, 2013 1:36 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

This 23mm has been asked about before, it's seen in a few brands, I think the last time it was asked about it was a Soligor.

Never seen any samples from it, I think it's early to mid 60s.

PostPosted: Sun Aug 25, 2013 1:48 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

iangreenhalgh1 wrote:
This 23mm has been asked about before, it's seen in a few brands, I think the last time it was asked about it was a Soligor.

Never seen any samples from it, I think it's early to mid 60s.

That's a very good point and one I had failed completely to consider. Thank you for raising it.

Of course if the lens is T mount forget this analysis. It's wrong. But if it's a fixed P/K mount:

Pentax did not go to the P/K mount until 1975. That would seem to place the age of the lens at 1975 or newer.

The lens looks to me older than that, but really I don't know. But if the lens really is a '60's lens then perhaps the mount is not fixed. It might be P/K owing to presence of an adapter.

Seller was simultaneously selling, in a separate auction, a Pentax camera body from which this lens was removed. I looked at the camera body photo, which was very clear. The mount is obviously bayonet, beyond any doubt.

PostPosted: Sun Aug 25, 2013 2:45 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

I remember as crap lens already discussed here seek 23mm lens.

PostPosted: Sun Aug 25, 2013 8:35 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Yes I have this same lens, under the Avanar brand.

Avanar 23mm lens by berangberang, on Flickr

23mm exa by berangberang, on Flickr

Mine is very soft wide open, as well as gives a glow. It also shows a ton of barrel distortion. Stopped down to 5.6 though it actually gets quite sharp.

PostPosted: Sun Aug 25, 2013 9:20 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

I've never actually used this lens on digital since the only real reason to have one is for use on film, ultrawides are hard to find in M42, but everywhere in modern mounts, and generally much better than what we have in this lens.

Anyway here is a real quick hand held test showing performance at f3.5, f4, and f5.6

Never really good to test sharpness with minimum focus but as it is dark out, there's nothing really else to do.

Full crop - it suffers a bit from jpeg compression, but you can still see that by f5.6 the sharpness is acceptable.

PostPosted: Sun Aug 25, 2013 3:19 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Mos6502 wrote:
I've never actually used this lens on digital since the only real reason to have one is for use on film, ultrawides are hard to find in M42, but everywhere in modern mounts, and generally much better than what we have in this lens.

Thanks. That's great stuff and leaves me a little space for a good outcome. I'll know so much more when I actually have the lens in hand and can view more than just the front of it.

Before buying this I had nothing whatsoever on the Rexagon 23's. I bid low and bought the lens for only a tiny fraction of my bid.

However

My research regarding other Rexagons was quite constructive, positive, and hopeful. The brand appears, in general, to be quite well regarded. Whether that will impact positively my 23mm, or not, I have no clue. I don't own other Rexagons because, be they good or bad, the prices they are selling for are too high for me. But at the right price I would be a buyer of this brand.

PostPosted: Sun Aug 25, 2013 11:48 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

You will find people who will praise any lens, like you will find people who will put down any lens. I'm sure for instance if this lens was made in Germany many people would be excited by its glow, color rendition, unique bokeh, etc. etc. etc. Laughing

It is obviously over apertured, probably it should have a max of f4, but f3.5 was snuck in for easier viewing and focusing (probably marketing too).

PostPosted: Mon Aug 26, 2013 12:50 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Mos6502 wrote:
You will find people who will praise any lens, like you will find people who will put down any lens. I'm sure for instance if this lens was made in Germany many people would be excited by its glow, color rendition, unique bokeh, etc. etc. etc. Laughing

It is obviously over apertured, probably it should have a max of f4, but f3.5 was snuck in for easier viewing and focusing (probably marketing too).

Lol I found it to if say A I promptly get another opinion B, natural matter of human nature. If you did take this lens already I look forward your shoots Smile

PostPosted: Mon Aug 26, 2013 1:32 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Very Happy Very Happy Guys don't fight! Very Happy Very Happy

Seriously, here in USA a Coke bottle bottom labelled "23mm" would be an expensive get. Exaggeration? Sure, but you see my point. Short focal length MF lenses here are a challenge to buy inexpensively.

This Rexagon will be my shortest focal length lens. I already admitted my inability to find anything at all on this lens prior to purchase. But for what I paid, and given marketplace circumstances overall, I'm still happy I made the jump.

Finally, I completely agree this thing could be like all those other "no-name" 23's. It might be. When I searched, before purchase, I did not search on "23" like I should have. I searched on "Rexagon", which was not smart. But I didn't know.

I still have hope (just a little) that, being a Rexagon, this lens might be different and better. Because (other) Rexagon lenses here are not selling for peanuts.

PostPosted: Mon Aug 26, 2013 5:49 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

There is only one 3.5/23 that I know of, although people seem to be split on whether it was manufactured by Chinon or Sun. You can find it under lots of brand names though, and also in different mounts. I think your deal would be great for any lens really so I wouldn't fret too much about it, whether it's good or bad depends on your expectations and what you plan to do with it.

PostPosted: Wed Sep 04, 2013 1:41 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Epilogue

Well, guys, with thanks to all posters the lens showed up in the mail today. Remember, this was a "pig in a poke" deal since the auction photo showed only the front of the lens and the mount was not known. I like the lens a lot, but that's not astonishing as I like most any MF lens a lot. I just like lenses (don't ask! Smile)

But the lens is in very nice shape and, while it has been used, it is not all beat up. Not at all. The lens is very, very, similar to the Avanar lens kindly posted above by Mos6502, only the grip pattern being slightly different. But it's the same lens with the narrow chrome rings, for example, alongside the grip fore and aft.

My lens arrived with a bit of (what might have been) white paint splattered on the front surround. The front of this lens disassembles really, really, easily. It is not glued, thank goodness. So I had the paint, if that's what it was, cleaned up in very short order. The focus is smooth and the aperture is snappy. This lens, I discovered, has an M/A switch which is a feature I appreciate in any lens.

It was a happy outcome for me that the lens arrived with an m42 mount. Remember, as I posted earlier, I was assuming the mount was P/K because the seller said this lens fit a camera body which clearly was P/K. There must have been an adapter which I didn't receive and don't need. But with m42 this lens will mount easily onto my SD14.

So bottom line I'll continue to be pleased until, and if, the photos with this are too blurry. If they are the lens will become a treasured paperweight. Laughing

PostPosted: Sat Sep 07, 2013 12:51 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Mos6502 wrote:
There is only one 3.5/23 that I know of, although people seem to be split on whether it was manufactured by Chinon or Sun. You can find it under lots of brand names though, and also in different mounts. I think your deal would be great for any lens really so I wouldn't fret too much about it, whether it's good or bad depends on your expectations and what you plan to do with it.

True. It's SUN made lens. I've tried it. It's nice but nothing special.

PostPosted: Wed Apr 23, 2014 1:56 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Am only posting this for other forum members who might venture here in search of Rexagon 23mm information. Today I stumbled across this item which pertains to the Rexagon 23:

http://www.davemiltonphotography.com/2013/06/a-few-updates.html

It's no bigee, but still I'm posting FWIW.

PostPosted: Thu Apr 24, 2014 5:55 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

And here's this lens again.... i really need to take some time to test my copy (Pallas branded), getting curious by now....

Pallas 23mm f/3.5 by TrueLoveOne, on Flickr

PostPosted: Thu Apr 24, 2014 12:21 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

TrueLoveOne wrote:
And here's this lens again.... i really need to take some time to test my copy (Pallas branded), getting curious by now....

Pallas 23mm f/3.5 by TrueLoveOne, on Flickr

Interesting, yours looks multicoated so potentially it could be better

PostPosted: Thu Apr 24, 2014 4:39 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

I'll post results as soon as i have them!

PostPosted: Fri Apr 25, 2014 1:28 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

dimitrygo wrote:

Interesting, yours looks multicoated so potentially it could be better

This is a very keen observation and not something I had earlier noticed. But, as you point out, my Rexagon has no multicoating indication on the name ring. I'm glad you picked this up. It's something for which to be on the lookout.

TrueLoveOne's MC lens carries serial number 770054 and is branded "Pallas".

My Rexagon carries serial number 710772.

It's not possible to know whether there is continuity of serial numbers across (nominal) brand changes, or not.

But certainly serial numbers in this instance suggest the possibility TrueLoveOne's lens is newer than mine and, as you suggest, better.

PostPosted: Fri Apr 25, 2014 5:03 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Looking forward to sample shots.