Home

Please support mflenses.com if you need any graphic related work order it from us, click on above banner to order!

SearchSearch MemberlistMemberlist RegisterRegister ProfileProfile Log in to check your private messagesLog in to check your private messages Log inLog in

Revising a Photo
View previous topic :: View next topic  

PostPosted: Sun Nov 04, 2012 1:43 am    Post subject: Revising a Photo Reply with quote

Back in March or so, I took a panoramic photo stitch on San Francisco's Twin Peaks. Here's the shot:

I'm pretty sure it was Orio who suggested different framing to include the entire road.
In addition to that framing issue, I'd note that this shot has way too much contrast and lacks a visual center.

So I finally got back out to Twin Peaks a couple weeks ago. One of my goals was specifically to re-take this photo and to do it better. Here is what I managed:

The first image was just for reference. The latter is for comments.

PostPosted: Sun Nov 04, 2012 1:52 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

My first thought is I like the 2nd shot a lot better,I like the curve /wave going through the bottom half of the frame.My 2nd thought remove the person... Very Happy

PostPosted: Sun Nov 04, 2012 2:11 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

#1 has better sky and better grass both means to a lot, #2 shoot has better road curves Laughing

PostPosted: Sun Nov 04, 2012 4:12 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Mo, remove the person? That's a curious thought. Why do you suggest it?

Attila, yeah, the sky on the second try was much busier. The grass also drier. Part and parcel to the time of year.

PostPosted: Sun Nov 04, 2012 6:24 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

It might sound crazy but they get in the way of the eye following the wave/curve line of the hillside then you look at the 2nd wave/curve of the road...it sort of connects right where the person is standing.I like what you are doing with this shot,try again on a different day perhaps......you know how it goes trying to get everything to line up...light, POV,possibly a different lens?

PostPosted: Sun Nov 04, 2012 11:55 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Definitely prefer the second shot but I agree with Mo regarding the person removal. My eye keeps being drawn to them.

PostPosted: Sun Nov 04, 2012 12:06 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

I like the little man, he makes the photo more interesting and alive, even if he draws the eye. I prefer #2, but I like the shadows and definition of the buildings more on the first one. This shot in sunset would be sweet!

PostPosted: Wed Nov 07, 2012 11:16 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Go there again and take the first shot ,just a little larger in the bottom to include the whole curve . Keep the lens ,camera, lighting and colors in the first one . That's my advice ! Piece of cake ! Laughing

PostPosted: Thu Nov 08, 2012 8:17 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

The second image loses some impact because of more hazy day and because of the wider viewing angle.
I would keep the focal lenght of the first shot, simply tilting down the camera until you frame the whole road.

PostPosted: Thu Nov 08, 2012 6:29 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

+1

patrickh

PostPosted: Thu Nov 08, 2012 8:38 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Alright, I'll go back a third time!

I do appreciate all the feedback. I'll head back again in the spring when it's all green a non-dead-looking. Fortunately, Twin Peaks is a nice place, just a bit cold and windy. Very Happy

PostPosted: Thu Nov 08, 2012 8:43 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

David wrote:
Alright, I'll go back a third time!

I do appreciate all the feedback. I'll head back again in the spring when it's all green a non-dead-looking. Fortunately, Twin Peaks is a nice place, just a bit cold and windy. Very Happy

Laughing

PostPosted: Thu Nov 08, 2012 9:44 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

I don't know how far it is for you to travel there,but I think it is a worthwhile adventure to nail that perfect shot Very Happy

PostPosted: Fri Nov 09, 2012 3:07 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

My brother's place is a 10-minute drive, so not really a problem at all.