Home

Please support mflenses.com if you need any graphic related work order it from us, click on above banner to order!

SearchSearch MemberlistMemberlist RegisterRegister ProfileProfile Log in to check your private messagesLog in to check your private messages Log inLog in

Review of Arco tele Colinar
View previous topic :: View next topic  

PostPosted: Sun Jun 08, 2008 5:05 pm    Post subject: Review of Arco tele Colinar Reply with quote

What a strange lens this is, Japanese origin It was a speculative purchase the only info I had was this http://www.camerapedia.org/wiki/Arco_lenses . It appears to be an aluminium body with a 13 bladed preset aperture, reflection counting would say it has approximately 5 optical surfaces. Focusing is to the rear and aperture is at the front. As for performance, Well its a mixed bag. I was surprised to find a Tiffen lens hood included in the purchase, I thought this was part of the lens design as it seems to match so well, however a lens hood for this is absolutely necessary! I have never found a lens that is so prone to flare! If you are within 90 degs of the sun you are likely to have a hazy central are of you picture. This seems to be more pronounced at smaller apertures for some reason, but I need to double check that. It does have a red C on the lens rim which I assume means it is coated but this doesn't seem to reduce the flare.That said this is capable of some quite sharp images and lovely colour rendition and pleasing bokeh. If you watch the light, occasionally it surprises with contrast too!

Focused on some airbourne flying insects wide open, look at the ivy in the background though

click for Original

original

Example of flare. manifests its self a a central circular blueish hazy area.

Last edited by hacksawbob on Sun Jun 08, 2008 5:31 pm; edited 6 times in total

PostPosted: Sun Jun 08, 2008 5:17 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Hallo!

It´s a good one, I see.

How old is this lense, (1965?)

Is this a M42 - screw.

regards Peter

PostPosted: Sun Jun 08, 2008 5:28 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Yes it has some nice usage if used wisely, It is a 135XXX Serial so produced from 1952 onwards is all I can find.

PostPosted: Sun Jun 08, 2008 10:42 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

This is a fairly unusual and valuable lens, a bit of a collectors item I understand. There weren't a lot of them made.

PostPosted: Sun Jun 08, 2008 10:46 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

luisalegria wrote:
This is a fairly unusual and valuable lens, a bit of a collectors item I understand. There weren't a lot of them made.

Oh, I think I know why too. My Marep is almost an uknown and flares like a 70s trouser factory.

PostPosted: Sun Jun 08, 2008 10:49 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Whats a Marep ?

PostPosted: Sun Jun 08, 2008 11:09 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

duplicate deleted

Last edited by Farside on Sun Jun 08, 2008 11:14 pm; edited 1 time in total

PostPosted: Sun Jun 08, 2008 11:09 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

luisalegria wrote:
Whats a Marep ?

It's a Marep 200/4.5 - quite nicely built pre-set, but has terrible trouble keeping the light under control. I suspect it was made by some startup lens factory who were just learning how to do things. Imported into the UK by some photographic dealer and branded as Marep. My copy is like brand new, and it's easy to see why - it's spent the past 40 years in a drawer.

In this picture the sun was behind me and the lens is flaring from the reflections on the car rear. Remarkably bad, isn't it?

From the Vade Mecum...
Quote:

Marep
This was a series of T mount lenses for SLR cameras which was sold by R.F.Hunter, Celfix Ho, 51 Gray's Inn
Rd, London WC1 in and after June 1967. They were all in T-mounts, and seem only to have been with preset
iris.
f2.8/35mm; f3.5/135mm; f4.5/200mm; f5.6/300mm; f6.3/400mm; f8.0/500mm.

PostPosted: Sun Jun 08, 2008 11:30 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

It looks like "Marep" may have been a "store brand" - a retail dealers name, like "Focal", used by K-Mart in the US, instead of a distributors brand that sold through all channels. There are a host of store brands.

I have been looking at preset 200/4.5's, and thinking of buying one. These seem to be remarkably similar creatures, the same hardware, origin unknown, apparently was sold as Accura, Lentar, Vemar and etc. I wouldn't be surprised if yours was of this make also.

PostPosted: Sun Jun 08, 2008 11:50 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

The flare affects also the other pictures (those that don't show the blueish circle) by means of loss of contrast.
Of course, the other pictures can be salvaged with some photoshop, while with the blueish circle is a lot more difficult...
The resolvance, though, seems to be good.