Home

Please support mflenses.com if you need any graphic related work order it from us, click on above banner to order!

SearchSearch MemberlistMemberlist RegisterRegister ProfileProfile Log in to check your private messagesLog in to check your private messages Log inLog in

Reversing CY==> m42 conversion?
View previous topic :: View next topic  

PostPosted: Fri Jan 01, 2016 1:49 pm    Post subject: Reversing CY==> m42 conversion? Reply with quote

Hi all. I got Contax 100/2 lens. It has been converted to m42, but the previous owner gave me the CY mount. Now, I have zero experience with working on lenses. Is the reverse conversion possible? How hard is it for complete noob to perform it? Any site/video/manual how to go about it?
Thank you for any input or suggestion. Great lens, but in m42 is not really useful for me. I am attaching link picture of what I got
https://www.dropbox.com/s/c50u8eb0yy99ktl/20160101_223659-1.jpg?raw=1

PostPosted: Fri Jan 01, 2016 8:56 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Please change your nickname something less spammy!

PostPosted: Fri Jan 01, 2016 9:54 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Lovely lens, enjoy it.

The work is simple to carry out, just make sure you have good screwdrivers. I would order a set of Japanese Industry Standard (JIS) drivers, or borrow a set if you can. Undoing the screws is normally the most dangerous job on these older lenses, but given that a conversion has already been done, they shouldn't be too difficult to remove to replace the mount with the bits you have.

Heres a link to a Youtube clip on this lens. Don't be concerned, this is a total strip down. just look for the bit where he throws the mount together.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=Awz5saMnpyg

Its a simple matter of undoing the 4 screws, reconnecting some of the links that you have and putting it back together. The trick with mounts is normally in making sure the tiny aperture ball and spring are carefully in place as you put it together. I'm assuming the aperture still clicks. Some video folk remove the ball and spring so that the aperture is quiet and click less. if thats the case with your lens, then the job is even easier.

I use Vessel brand screwdrivers, there are others, just search online for JIS screwdrivers. You'll want at least the "00" size, and you might as well grab a "0" size as well. The JIS screwdrivers fit normal cross head / phillips head screws, but its not the other way around due to the shape of the very tip of the screwdriver. They look like normal cross head / phillips screw heads but many lenses have JIS screws. Too many people have stuffed up there lenses with the wrong screwdriver. And once that screw head is "stripped" its a bitch. So, use the right tools and take your time. Enjoy the experience, its all part of the MF / adaption experience.

PostPosted: Fri Jan 01, 2016 9:58 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Another thought...you can always just buy an adaptor from M42 to whatever it is your mounting to.