Home

Please support mflenses.com if you need any graphic related work order it from us, click on above banner to order!

SearchSearch MemberlistMemberlist RegisterRegister ProfileProfile Log in to check your private messagesLog in to check your private messages Log inLog in

Reuse Hypo clearing bath?
View previous topic :: View next topic  

PostPosted: Tue Jan 05, 2010 8:27 pm    Post subject: Reuse Hypo clearing bath? Reply with quote

Can hypo clearing bath be reused?
Based on the writing of the bottle (I use tetenal lavaquick) it would seem so... but after one use, it gets all coloured purple... so I wonder...

PostPosted: Tue Jan 05, 2010 8:59 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Maybe I lead a sheltered life, for I don't even get to the 're-' part of your question, as I don't use hypo clearing agent, never have, on film or even paper when I did wet work.

The coloration - I'm currently re-using D-76 (ie. undiluted rather than one-shot), and of course re-using stop and fix. After the Foma 120 experiment the D-76 got a bit blue, but I continue using it with no ill effects. The indicator stop got a bit green too, so the dye sort of makes the indicator part moot, but I'll continue using this batch till I replace the other two chemicals... in about 4 more rolls.

The blue is just dye, so it should not affect the action of the Hypo clearing agent. But then what do I know as I don't use the stuff Laughing

PostPosted: Wed Jan 20, 2010 4:29 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Are you guys washing your film with distilled water before putting the developer in, and after you fix it? Most of that residual color should come off before the actual development process begins. By the time it gets to the hypo-clearing agent there definitely should not be any more color.

PostPosted: Wed Jan 20, 2010 4:38 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

themoleman342 wrote:
Are you guys washing your film with distilled water before putting the developer in, and after you fix it? Most of that residual color should come off before the actual development process begins. By the time it gets to the hypo-clearing agent there definitely should not be any more color.

I found the colour to be only on 120 film, not 135.
Strange.

PostPosted: Wed Jan 20, 2010 11:32 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

The most interesting color I've gotten recently was from Delta 400, 120 size. Much to my surprise after a minute of agitation with the distilled water, a bright evergreen liquid came from the tank.