Home

Please support mflenses.com if you need any graphic related work order it from us, click on above banner to order!

SearchSearch MemberlistMemberlist RegisterRegister ProfileProfile Log in to check your private messagesLog in to check your private messages Log inLog in

Retina IIIS
View previous topic :: View next topic  

PostPosted: Wed Oct 02, 2013 3:41 am    Post subject: Retina IIIS Reply with quote

Finally found one of these at a good price -- $50 at a yard sale including case and manual. Very nice condition with the 50/1.9 Schneider lens.

The only mechanical issue was that the aperture/shutter speed setting ring did not work properly. These 2 setting rings are coupled and turning adjustment ring is supposed to move them both but it was only moving the aperture ring.

I figured this problem was either due to too much lubrication (sticky with age) or too little but I didn't want to disassemble it due to its reputation for complexity. Since moving the wheel produced a squeaky sound I figured it was probably too little lube and I placed a little light oil with a needle applicator in the only opening into that part of the mechanism. It improved things a bit so I put in a little more and worked it around and now it works fine.

The shutter and meter are also working. Though I haven't yet tested them for accuracy, they seem reasonably accurate by casual observation.

This camera has been discussed here before so I won't bother with the details.

I was surprised to see that prices for this camera seem to have fallen lately on eBay. That's OK with me because it is a lovely camera with a very nice viewfinder and, I'm told, great lenses. I wanted one because of the 28mm lens available for it (which I will have to find now). Not many affordable, good quality rangefinders around with 28mm lenses.

The 50/1.9 that is on the camera intrudes a bit into the viewfinder but that is common with rangefinders and I don't see that as a problem.

I don't agree with Steve Gandy's gripes about this camera on his web site. The faults he complains about seem trivial to me. It's a beautifully made camera with a quality feel and I look forward to using it.

Last edited by dof on Wed Oct 02, 2013 2:37 pm; edited 3 times in total

PostPosted: Wed Oct 02, 2013 5:32 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Excellent bargain! Congratulations. Now let us see some image samples! Smile

PostPosted: Wed Oct 02, 2013 6:08 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Great camera with great lenses. The one problem with it is that if it stops working, that's it, it's dead as you are very unlikely to find anyone willing to attempt to repair it.

PostPosted: Wed Oct 02, 2013 8:12 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

It's a nice camera. I had one many years ago and loved it. Quieter than a Leica and with a lovely smooth shutter release.

I agree with dof about Mr Gandy's comments - maybe he subcontracted Ken Rockwell to write that piece for him. His comments on the frame counter are almost inane - if you set the counter correctly on one of these Retinas you'll never tear the film trying to take shot number 37. Is there any 35mm photographer who hasn't done that at least once? Usually on top of a mountain, looking at the most beautiful sunset you've ever seen . . .!

And I think Ian's being a little bit pessimistic about repairs. There are still two or three firms in Britain who'll tackle them (subject to spares) and the rangefinder models are much less complex than the SLRs. I know dof in the USA, but it's a big country and - so I believe - not particularly backward in feinmechanik workers. Wink

PostPosted: Wed Oct 02, 2013 2:36 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

At the price I paid for the camera I'm not concerned about it breaking down. I recently sold a broken IIIS body on eBay and got nearly as much as this camera cost me with the lens! Retina IIIS parts are still desirable for those who do repair them, especially if the camera is as nice looking as this one. The lens alone is worth what I paid for it and can also be used on several Retina Reflex models or can be adapted to other mounts. Very Happy

PostPosted: Wed Oct 02, 2013 5:44 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

They're really nice RFs and I've been thinking of getting one to complement the Voigtlander Bessamatic that was only acquired for its lenses (which will fit the IIIs with a little notch filed in the mount). The Bessamatic was another one that garnered a reputation for difficulty of fixing once it went wrong, but the Achilles heel on that is the daft string arrangment for the internal coupling of EV values.
When these cameras were current, and later on were cared-for and cherished items, they were worth spending money on repairs, but now most of them have passed into the hands of owners who might be inclined to junk them once they break, having no attachment to them.
I felt the same way about my OM-1 - I would have paid to have that particular one repaired, if it had broken, but I don't feel the same way about one I just picked off ebay.

If I get a IIIs and adapt the Bessamatic lenses to it, I would be inclined to have a go at repairing it if it needs it. Just not economic otherwise.

PostPosted: Wed Oct 02, 2013 6:57 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

The lenses are not all cross-compatible. Some have an Rf cam, some don't. You can of course mount the ones without on the IIIS but you will then have to guess the focus as they won't couple with the rf.

PostPosted: Wed Oct 02, 2013 11:23 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Fortunately, two of the lenses I bought with the idea of making them fit the Bessamatic by notching the base are RF-enabled, being S-K Retina- fit. The Voigtlander native lenses can be scale focused, of course.
I spotted an S-K 28mm Curtagon in its case and boxed, almost mint a few years ago and BINd it with alacrity. Mind you, the prices of them were pretty low then, as DKL adapters were scarce and pricey, depressing demand.

PostPosted: Thu Oct 03, 2013 2:11 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Yeah, I kick myself I didn't collect the S-K and Voigtlander DKL lenses when they were peanuts, now they command much higher prices.