Home

Please support mflenses.com if you need any graphic related work order it from us, click on above banner to order!

SearchSearch MemberlistMemberlist RegisterRegister ProfileProfile Log in to check your private messagesLog in to check your private messages Log inLog in

Results of my speedboosted lenses [C&C]
View previous topic :: View next topic  

PostPosted: Fri Apr 28, 2017 4:49 pm    Post subject: Results of my speedboosted lenses [C&C] Reply with quote

Hello,
I do a lot of tinkering with lenses and cameras. After lens adapting I soon started mount conversions, and after short time I found it not so interessting - it simply was an aid to get the lens on the camera.
I get more interested to modifiy lenses - the optical setup.

Since some years I do lens speedboosting to get lenses faster and with shorter focal length (have posted here something a while ago).
Near always my camera is with 24x36mm sensors, I do not care about smaller ones. I use at the moment both homemade spedboosters with more extreme results, and the Kipon medium format 0.7x speedbooster for sharper and a bit more normal image results. Still my implementation has a bit special bokeh.

210mm f/2.0 - Canon FD 300mm f/2.8L + Kipon 0.7x + Sony A7II

Streetwear by Markus, auf Flickr

280mm f/2.0 - Canon FD 400mm f/2.8L + Kipon 0.7x + Sony A7II

Lady Long Legs by Markus, auf Flickr

Last edited by ZoneV on Tue May 16, 2017 9:11 am; edited 1 time in total

PostPosted: Fri Apr 28, 2017 7:16 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Like 1 Like 1 Like 1 Well done Markus!!

PostPosted: Sat Apr 29, 2017 3:33 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Very cool, a 210 and 280mm f/2. Each of those lenses look as if they're doing a bit of the old "swirly bokeh" with that Kipon adapter.

PostPosted: Sat Apr 29, 2017 10:07 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Yes, some wirl and a littel bit overcorrected spherical aberration.
Love them much this way. And still can easy change to normal setup with very neutral clean bokeh.

Mirror 350mm f/4 - Rubinar 500mm f/5.6 and Kipon lens tubro 0.7x and Sony A7II

Tattooed Women and Cherry Blossoms by Markus, auf Flickr

PostPosted: Mon May 15, 2017 10:48 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Good ones!!! Laughing

PostPosted: Tue May 16, 2017 6:37 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Like 1 Like 1

PostPosted: Tue May 16, 2017 8:09 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Like 1 Like 1

PostPosted: Tue May 16, 2017 9:10 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Thank you Smile

Here a result of my rare Wollensak Aero Raptar 6" f/2.5 - what is most likely a licened copy of the Kodak Aero Ektar lens.
Here again with Kipon 0.7x speedbooster on Sony A7II

Sunny by Markus, auf Flickr

PostPosted: Fri Jun 02, 2017 10:38 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Lady in Hamburg port:

Harbor Dream Lady by Markus, auf Flickr

Canon FD 400mm/2.8L + Kipon x0.7 + Sony A7II

PostPosted: Fri Jun 02, 2017 4:44 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Man, that's some crazy shallow depth of field, yet the models are still in complete focus.

Great shots, makes me want to pick up one to experiment with.

PostPosted: Fri Jun 02, 2017 6:48 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Colorado CJ wrote:
Man, that's some crazy shallow depth of field, yet the models are still in complete focus.

Great shots, makes me want to pick up one to experiment with.

Me too. I'd especially love having an FD 300/2.8 L and 400/2.8 L also! Somehow I think those lenses are adding considerably to the photos.

PostPosted: Tue Jun 06, 2017 5:35 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Thank you booth!
When you have large distance (like 400m) between object and background the entrance pupil diameter is the thing for big blur. If your background is near the sharp objects fast lenses (small numbers) is better.
So for large distances it does not matter if you use the speedbooster or not, it only makes perspective a bit different - and easier communication with the model.

So those 300mm/2.8 and 400mm/2.8 with ~107 and 141mm entrance pupil are quite a bit better there than those 70-210mm/2.8 lenses a lot of people photographers use.
Many photographers I know payed for the Canon EF 70-200/2.8 or EF 135mm/2 more than I did for the FD 400mm/2.8 with double entrance pupil diameter Smile

PostPosted: Tue Jun 06, 2017 8:55 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Like 1 small Like 1 small Like 1 small

PostPosted: Wed Jul 26, 2017 1:13 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Like 1 Like 1 (somehow missed this when it first appeared)