Home

Please support mflenses.com if you need any graphic related work order it from us, click on above banner to order!

SearchSearch MemberlistMemberlist RegisterRegister ProfileProfile Log in to check your private messagesLog in to check your private messages Log inLog in

Resolution of lenses - where are the limits?
View previous topic :: View next topic  

PostPosted: Mon May 05, 2008 8:08 am    Post subject: Resolution of lenses - where are the limits? Reply with quote

Hallo!
Sometimes i like to play with numbers.

The Zeiss Ultron - 3my - 330 lines per mm - is this true?

I don´t mean pairs of lines, only lines - white, black, white, black - any a line

The Tessar - only the half - 165 lines per mm

Pentax FA 50/1,4 f4,0 2320 lines over 16mm (sensorhigh) = 145 lines per mm on the K10d - more isn´t possible, this is the limit of the sensor in the centerarea

The Photozone-Test´s shows the interaction between objektiv and lens.
The borderresolution is lower, sometimes extrem.

How I can get more information about resolution of old lenses?

regards Peter

PostPosted: Mon May 05, 2008 4:18 pm    Post subject: Re: Resolution of lenses - where are the limits? Reply with quote

padiej wrote:
Hallo!
Sometimes i like to play with numbers.

The Zeiss Ultron - 3my - 330 lines per mm - is this true?

I don´t mean pairs of lines, only lines - white, black, white, black - any a line

The Tessar - only the half - 165 lines per mm

Pentax FA 50/1,4 f4,0 2320 lines over 16mm (sensorhigh) = 145 lines per mm on the K10d - more isn´t possible, this is the limit of the sensor in the centerarea

The Photozone-Test´s shows the interaction between objektiv and lens.
The borderresolution is lower, sometimes extrem.

How I can get more information about resolution of old lenses?

regards Peter

Very simple actually - you take the lens, put it on a calibrated optical bench and do your own Siemens star measurement through a 100x microscope, where you analyse the aerial image that lens produces for a given f-stop. (you could also use filters to see if it id different for blue, green or red for instance). This is what a friend I do from time to time for interesting candidates.

OR you have the patent data for instance of that lens and a lens design program where you plug in the lens data and have the MTF then computed via raytrace.

Sometimes I like to play with lenses like that....

PostPosted: Mon May 05, 2008 5:52 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Hallo!

There is an interaction between resolution and contrast, and more resolution is better for the contrast.
The resolution is a benchmark.
The Pentax K100d Sensor has 125 lines/mm in both direction. If I take the tessar 50/2,8, the lens is better and the sensor get clean informations.

If I try a ultron, I don´t know, if the better resolution would be visible, becouse the sensor is so limited.

The K20d is therefore a good investigation, this Sensor with 14MP will show the limits by many average lenses.

regards Peter

PostPosted: Mon May 05, 2008 9:20 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

padiej wrote:

The Pentax K100d Sensor has 125 lines/mm in both direction. If I take the tessar 50/2,8, the lens is better and the sensor get clean informations.

The 125 lp/mm is only theory, because this is not a black and white sensor. The bayer-matrix and the AA-filter reduce this theoretical sensor resolution.

On the other hand, is the best lens performance only in the center and stopped down.

Ingo

PostPosted: Mon May 05, 2008 10:49 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

How that discussion goes - shouldn't the title be renamed to
"Resolution of CAMERAS..." or do I need a doctor... Question

PostPosted: Tue May 06, 2008 7:21 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Hallo!
Laughing or I need an analog Pentax

Of Course - I will buy a analog pentax, then I put a 50 ISO film inside and then, I can see, what the optic will do.

There are structures like a trumpet with a scale, then I can read the resolution, without a limited sensor.

So I can make a different between the lenses, and a analog Pentax would be very nice.

regards Peter