Home

Please support mflenses.com if you need any graphic related work order it from us, click on above banner to order!

SearchSearch MemberlistMemberlist RegisterRegister ProfileProfile Log in to check your private messagesLog in to check your private messages Log inLog in

Replacing Light seals
View previous topic :: View next topic  

PostPosted: Sun Jan 24, 2010 2:43 am    Post subject: Replacing Light seals Reply with quote

Hello, I have a Minolta XG-1 & XE-7 that need the light seals replaced. Ive seen the kits on ebay for 9-10 bucks. is this something anyone can do or should i take them to my local camera shop they want $80-90 for both to replace the seals.

thanks

PostPosted: Sun Jan 24, 2010 3:03 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

It's not hard to do, just a bit messy....I have replaced the seals on several cameras...Get your seals from Jon Goodman ( he sells as "Interslice" on eBay)...Quality materials with excellent instructions

PostPosted: Sun Jan 24, 2010 10:54 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

+1 about Jon Goodman. Thom, you can download his detailed instructions here so you can what's involved before you order the foam:
http://www.kyphoto.com/classics/sealreplacement.html

On your cameras the mirror buffer is tucked in behind a metal plate which makes it difficult and fiddly. You'll definitely need a pair of cranked tweezers and a magnifying loupe. There is a real risk of smearing the focussing screen, so if the mirror foam is in reasonable condition it's best to leave it as it is.

PostPosted: Tue Jan 26, 2010 8:09 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

thanks you guys for the info, i have patience so I'm gonna give it a try!

PostPosted: Mon Feb 08, 2010 8:48 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

I just thought I'd give this thread a bump.

A while back I bought a light seal kit like this one from eBay seller interslice (Jon Goodman):

Click here to see on Ebay

I finally installed it today. It took about an hour from start to finish, and I took my time doing it. Goodman's instructions are very clear, and the whole process went very smoothly. No special skills are required to do this -- just a bit of patience.

Goodman sells kits for a wide variety of cameras, and I can recommend them without reservation. They are inexpensive, and well worth the money and time invested.

About smearing mirror foam gunk on the focusing screen: when I bought my FTb, somebody had already done this -- smeared a bunch of mirror foam gunk on the focusing screen, that is. I decided to give isopropyl alchohol a try, using a Q-tip for application. It worked very well. Wiped the gunk off with just a couple of strokes, and I had a pristine looking focusing screen.

Welp, I'm gonna load some film into this old workhorse and go shoot some pics.