Home

Please support mflenses.com if you need any graphic related work order it from us, click on above banner to order!

SearchSearch MemberlistMemberlist RegisterRegister ProfileProfile Log in to check your private messagesLog in to check your private messages Log inLog in

Replace light seals before selling a camera?
View previous topic :: View next topic  

PostPosted: Tue Jul 29, 2014 2:41 pm    Post subject: Replace light seals before selling a camera? Reply with quote

Most vintage cameras have bad light seals. Most people who know old cameras seem to know this. But I've also noticed that online listings almost never note the condition of the light seals, which would imply that most buyers don't consider it when buying a camera, even though it's often a necessary repair. So is it worth it to go through the extra trouble of replacing them when you sell a vintage camera? Can "new light seals" be worked into the price, or is a waste of time?

PostPosted: Tue Jul 29, 2014 3:35 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

I think both "new light seals" and "film tested" can be worked into the price; especially "film tested."

Probably not worth much more to anybody who has replaced light seals before; replacing light seals is so easy...

PostPosted: Tue Jul 29, 2014 3:56 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

I don't think it's necessary to replace the seals, but reporting that it needs new seals implies you know about cameras and you've
checked this one over thoroughly. If it has any other faults, scratches, dents etc always describe them thoroughly and give a detailed
picture if you can. I'd always prefer to buy from a seller who is patently honest and knows what he's talking about - so much better than
someone who says "I don't know a lot about cameras". Smile

Why not make an offer in the description to replace the seals if the buyer wishes, as there might be people who'd prefer to do it
themselves.

PostPosted: Tue Jul 29, 2014 7:50 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

well, it's a culture thing

In Finland you paint a rental apartement when you move into it; in Germany when you move out.
(I think?)

PostPosted: Tue Jul 29, 2014 10:46 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

peterqd wrote:
...Why not make an offer in the description to replace the seals if the buyer wishes, as there might be people who'd prefer to do it
themselves.

I do this when necessary and only once had the offer taken up. Or offer a piece of light seal material free with it. It wont add to the value but it will inspire confidence that they are dealing with an expert.

On the subject of "I don't know much about cameras" I have had some great deals based on blurred photos and vague descriptions. I picked up a couple of lenses, a Sigma 80-200 and a 300mm Canon FD fit in mint condition, caps, cases everything both for £10 post paid! And more than a few period cameras in mint condition for less than £10. Yes I've wasted my money too - but bidding can be a gamble sometimes. Accept the losses.

PostPosted: Wed Jul 30, 2014 5:41 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

peterqd wrote:
I don't think it's necessary to replace the seals, but reporting that it needs new seals implies you know about cameras and you've
checked this one over thoroughly. If it has any other faults, scratches, dents etc always describe them thoroughly and give a detailed
picture if you can. I'd always prefer to buy from a seller who is patently honest and knows what he's talking about - so much better than
someone who says "I don't know a lot about cameras". Smile

Why not make an offer in the description to replace the seals if the buyer wishes, as there might be people who'd prefer to do it
themselves.

The only issue I see with this is that from the perspective of a buyer who isn't particularly knowledgeable about cameras, seeing an ad that says "bad light seals" might make them assume that's only a problem if stated. i.e. they then see another ad that doesn't mention the condition of the light seals, and assume that means the light seals are fine.

PostPosted: Tue Nov 11, 2014 9:10 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

When i wanted to buy an Olympus Trip, i did a little research and it says most of the light seals on these perish. When i bought one eventually i replaced the light seals for a couple of £ just for piece of mind, just so i knew i wouldn't be wasting a £5 roll of film.

PostPosted: Tue Nov 11, 2014 10:34 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

I always replace bad seals, and then state that they are changed when I'm selling. I cut the seals from a sheet, and I can do a SLR in about 1/2 hour, so it's very cheap to just do it.