Home

Please support mflenses.com if you need any graphic related work order it from us, click on above banner to order!

SearchSearch MemberlistMemberlist RegisterRegister ProfileProfile Log in to check your private messagesLog in to check your private messages Log inLog in

Removing Battery Corrosion
View previous topic :: View next topic  

PostPosted: Wed Jun 29, 2011 6:44 pm    Post subject: Removing Battery Corrosion Reply with quote

I have obtained a motor drive with a battery pack that had batteries left in it too long. I think they were NiCads that leaked, but don't hold me to that. The corrosion sure looks the same as if it were done by regular batteries.

I vaguely recall recipes for removing corrosion -- like vinegar or baking soda? Using an old toothbrush?

So, just wondering if you might know a tried-and-true method for getting rid of it. It's pretty heavy in a couple of spots. Out of four electrical contacts, only one has any corrosion on it. I don't think I'll have to dismantle the pack to see if corrosion has wicked up the contact's wire -- at least I hope I won't.

PostPosted: Wed Jun 29, 2011 6:56 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

I use sanding paper on the contacts Smile

PostPosted: Wed Jun 29, 2011 7:14 pm    Post subject: Re: Removing Battery Corrosion Reply with quote

cooltouch wrote:
I vaguely recall recipes for removing corrosion -- like vinegar or baking soda? Using an old toothbrush?

That is what works for me. BS & H20, then vinegar. Scrub-a-dub-dub.

PostPosted: Wed Jun 29, 2011 8:41 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Isopropyl alcohol to clean it up then a quick rub with fine emery paper to ensure electrical contact.

PostPosted: Wed Jun 29, 2011 9:17 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

First vinegar it will be remove green stuff second step is very fine sand paper if vinegar wasn't enough.

PostPosted: Wed Jun 29, 2011 10:30 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Thanks, guys. I posted this same message at a local forum, and one fellow suggested Coke or Pepsi. Well that got me intrigued, and I figured any carbonated soda-type beverage would work, so I used some Mountain Dew. Wow, it worked great! Poured a little on the corrosion and it foamed and bubbled and I was able to just wipe away most of it. There was some heavier scale that I was able to remove easily with a knife. So, all taken care of. Sort of.

After putting the battery holders back into the pack, I checked for voltage across its contacts where it hooks up to the drive. No voltage. Grrr... So, I guess there was some corrosion that wicked up that one contact's wire. I'll probably have to open it up and replace that wire before I'll be able to get it to work. Oh well, I can't complain. I didn't pay anything for it.

PostPosted: Wed Jun 29, 2011 10:53 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Attila wrote:
First vinegar it will be remove green stuff second step is very fine sand paper if vinegar wasn't enough.

That's how I do it - I use the white distilled vinegar.

Vodka is clear for a reason Smile