Home

Please support mflenses.com if you need any graphic related work order it from us, click on above banner to order!

SearchSearch MemberlistMemberlist RegisterRegister ProfileProfile Log in to check your private messagesLog in to check your private messages Log inLog in

Regreasing Flektogon 35/2.8 M42 preset - any ideas?
View previous topic :: View next topic  

PostPosted: Sun Nov 23, 2014 9:05 pm    Post subject: Regreasing Flektogon 35/2.8 M42 preset - any ideas? Reply with quote

I've regreased several lenses and understand the general principles involved in doing so, but this lens has me beat. I've opened the front and rear (removing all the optics in the process) and am now left with the barrel and aperture assembly intact.

I've read that removing the outer of the four retaining rings in the back is supposed to separate the focusing mechanism from the rest of the lens, but all I got out was the rear optic assembly.

There are no screws found on the barrel, and nowhere to "hide" a little grub screw either.

I have removed a plastic retaining ring (not the threaded type used for holding lenses in place, but the "springy" type with an opening) that seems to hold the aperture housing in place, as that was the only movable part I found inside the lens. I'd rather keep the aperture intact, they can be a pain to reassemble

Any ideas would be highly appreciated.

PostPosted: Tue Nov 25, 2014 4:48 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

This may help:

http://www.kolumbus.fi/uusilehto/img/lenses/zeiss/disass/slides/lens.html

To get to the helicoid you need to remove the front filter ring housing, normally by gripping it and turning in the usual anti-clockwise direction it will unscrew from the body, it will be stiff to start with and there could be a tiny grub locking screw on the side that can only be seen when the lens is fully extended, if so then remove this first. There are a few variations with this lens so your may be different.

Oh, and don't take that retaining ring out of the aperture assembly, unless you want lots of trouble.

PostPosted: Wed Nov 26, 2014 1:49 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Thanks for the tip! I've tried unscrewing various parts of the barrel, without successivt, but not the filter ring.

The aperture housing is still intact, I've learned the hard way what happens when those paper thin blades come loose and need to be reinserted...

Unfortunately, the link is of little use; my lens looks almost nothing like that one (no screws in the mount, for instance)

PostPosted: Tue Dec 02, 2014 9:16 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Update: No luck with the filter ring. It is integrated in the preset-mechanism, so it can´t be turned.

Really frustrating to not find any "point of entry" on the lens.

Does anyone have any info on preset CZJ-lenses (other than Rick Oleson´s drawings and Zeiss manuals, I´ve read those)?

PostPosted: Tue Dec 16, 2014 8:29 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Take a look at this:

http://k10dpentax.blogspot.ro/2008/05/cleaning-flektogon-35mm-chrome-barrel.html

I think that version from the link could be the version that you have. The name ring can be unscrewed with a special rubber tool. I remember the exakta mount black version of this lens can be opened the same way. If you don't have a set of rubber tools it could be difficult to unscrew the ring ... but first thing first: take a look at the link and see if it's the same lens.

PostPosted: Tue Dec 16, 2014 11:17 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

A cheap roll of electrical insulating tape makes a very good substitute for the rubber tool, just unwind tape until it is the right size, There's enough glue on the edge of the roll to make it sticky and give a good grip on the name ring.

PostPosted: Wed Dec 17, 2014 6:27 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Thanks for the link, lucca1x. Yes, that is the same version as mine, but he only explains how to remove and clean the lens elements (which is very similar to most lenses, i.e. held in place with threaded retaining rings). Once all the lens elements are out, you are lett with an empty metal tube, with no screws to remove anywhere; not on the back, not in the front and not on the sides. I've pretty much given up the idea of regreasing the lens and will sell it "as is".

@Lloydy: great tip for a make shift rubber tool. I have, however, a full set of dedicated rubber tools in various sizes (a very good investment, by the way) so I'm covered in that department.

PostPosted: Tue Dec 23, 2014 8:14 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Update: finally found the way in! I've read that there are four retaining rings on the back of the lens, keeping the optics in place and connecting the focusing mechanism with the rest of the lens. It turns out the fourth, outer ring was hidden under another retaining ring (similar to the name ring covering screws on the front).

PostPosted: Tue Dec 23, 2014 11:26 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

That is good news,you didn't take any photos did you of this last ring? Very Happy

PostPosted: Wed Dec 24, 2014 11:47 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

mo wrote:
That is good news,you didn't take any photos did you of this last ring? Very Happy

Actually, no. But, since you asked:

Back of Flektogon 35/2.8 M42 alu by scepticswe, on Flickr

It's the ring just behind (or above, in the picture) the mounting threads.