Home

Please support mflenses.com if you need any graphic related work order it from us, click on above banner to order!

SearchSearch MemberlistMemberlist RegisterRegister ProfileProfile Log in to check your private messagesLog in to check your private messages Log inLog in

Recording Aperture Data from Non-Smart MF lenses
View previous topic :: View next topic  

PostPosted: Sun Apr 21, 2019 4:59 pm    Post subject: Recording Aperture Data from Non-Smart MF lenses Reply with quote

This is how I do it:

Smile

PostPosted: Sun Apr 21, 2019 5:33 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Yep. With MF lenses, only the photographer has to be smart Like 1 .

PostPosted: Sun Apr 21, 2019 9:05 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

I carry around some post-its and a pencil, - write down the lens, take shot of it and start shooting, if I need to make a next note - cross out the previous one, take another shot and so on until you fill it up.

PostPosted: Sun Apr 21, 2019 9:30 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

On my old Fujica AX-5 I had a "Photo Recorser", which was a replacement back for the camera which allowed one to "write" a few details directly onto the negative itself, via a stylus connected to a parallelogram linkage with a little LED at the other end.

Definitely a solution looking for a problem!

PostPosted: Mon Apr 22, 2019 6:34 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

If I'm conducting tests on a lens, I have a notepad that I use to record all lens apertures when I'm shooting the test shots. Frequently when I do this, I'm testing more than one lens, so recording accuracy is critical.Because when I'm back at my computer the only way I can work backward to the correct lens and aperture is if I took correct notes.

PostPosted: Mon Apr 22, 2019 10:11 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Whenever i'm doing tests, there's quite a strict protocol to follow; therefore I have no problems regarding the technical details.

If i want to record the aperture used during my normal work, i prefer to make two "identical" images, one wide open, the other at the useful aperture. From the differences in shutter speed - recorded by the EXIF - i can deduct the aperture easily and quite precisely.

Stephan

PostPosted: Tue Apr 23, 2019 5:48 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

cooltouch wrote:
If I'm conducting tests on a lens, I have a notepad that I use to record all lens apertures when I'm shooting the test shots. Frequently when I do this, I'm testing more than one lens, so recording accuracy is critical.Because when I'm back at my computer the only way I can work backward to the correct lens and aperture is if I took correct notes.

I shoot a blank (dark) frame when I change lenses.

PostPosted: Tue Apr 23, 2019 7:43 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

e6filmuser wrote:
cooltouch wrote:

How is aperture setting recorded for subsequent frames? Smile

PostPosted: Tue Apr 23, 2019 7:57 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

visualopsins wrote:
e6filmuser wrote:
cooltouch wrote:

How is aperture setting recorded for subsequent frames? Smile

I write in a notebook. The blank frames are an additional precaution.

PostPosted: Thu Apr 25, 2019 1:51 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Blank frames is a good idea. I'm going to adopt that technique.

PostPosted: Thu Apr 25, 2019 1:14 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

stevemark wrote:
Whenever i'm doing tests, there's quite a strict protocol to follow; therefore I have no problems regarding the technical details.

If i want to record the aperture used during my normal work, i prefer to make two "identical" images, one wide open, the other at the useful aperture. From the differences in shutter speed - recorded by the EXIF - i can deduct the aperture easily and quite precisely.

Stephan

That's what I recently do but less strict. With Auto ISO set it needs a bit more calculating too.

Most of my lenses have been adapted or converted to EF mount (including MD and CS) so focal length for them is already reported by EMF chips glued on their mount (for mounting on MC-11 to A7RII). The MC-11 adapter has some issues with the max. aperture transfer set in the EMF chip though. Odd enough with a Kenko 1.4x tele extender in between the max aperture x2 number is transferred. Chips that can not be programmed transfer the max aperture though, small choice though; 50mm 2.0 or 1.4. Lenses of the same focal length get a slightly different focal length set in their chips, according their viewing angle difference. IBIS acts accordingly and the Exif files tell enough to add the right description + settings now. So far I kept 5.6 as the general working aperture but I will try your method more.

Waiting for programmable chips for the Sony mount.

PostPosted: Thu Apr 25, 2019 3:09 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

I take a picture of the lens just before I start with it. (with the previous lens) I haven't really started recording f stops, I really should....

PostPosted: Thu Apr 25, 2019 3:49 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

jamaeolus wrote:
I take a picture of the lens just before I start with it. (with the previous lens) I haven't really started recording f stops, I really should....

To me, documenting the f/stops when testing a lens is at least half the point of doing the testing. The other half is examining resolution and contrast.

PostPosted: Thu Apr 25, 2019 4:01 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

cooltouch wrote:

To me, documenting the f/stops when testing a lens is at least half the point of doing the testing. The other half is examining resolution and contrast.

Like 1 Exclamation

PostPosted: Fri Apr 26, 2019 7:33 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

I often record a short video after a series of test photos, using the camera as a glorified taperecorder. So I just describe the lens used and the settings, quick and dirty. This means the video is organised together the photos in Lightroom, and I add the relevant data by hand.

PostPosted: Fri Apr 26, 2019 8:07 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

my trick is to shot only wide open, it also help remember lens used ,
closed down all lenses are the same boring, and sensor need cleaning to avoid spots Twisted Evil

PostPosted: Sat Apr 27, 2019 4:55 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

poilu wrote:

closed down all lenses are the same boring, and sensor need cleaning to avoid spots Twisted Evil

How do you know if you always shoot wide open? Laugh 1

PostPosted: Sun Apr 28, 2019 2:47 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

e6filmuser wrote:
poilu wrote:

How do you know if you always shoot wide open? Laugh 1

Experience otherwise lol