Home

Please support mflenses.com if you need any graphic related work order it from us, click on above banner to order!

SearchSearch MemberlistMemberlist RegisterRegister ProfileProfile Log in to check your private messagesLog in to check your private messages Log inLog in

Recommended Topcor RE to NEX adapter?
View previous topic :: View next topic  

PostPosted: Sat Aug 22, 2020 6:03 pm    Post subject: Recommended Topcor RE to NEX adapter? Reply with quote

Any recommendations? Apparently not all EXA to NEX adapters work with the Topcor RE lenses.

PostPosted: Sat Aug 22, 2020 6:12 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

All EXA to NEX adapters I have tried work with the Topcor RE lenses.

PostPosted: Sat Aug 22, 2020 6:23 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

calvin83 wrote:
All EXA to NEX adapters I have tried work with the Topcor RE lenses.

I read on the internet that some EXA adapters have a problem with the pin on the Topcor lens.

PostPosted: Sat Aug 22, 2020 6:29 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Such problem exist on EXA to Canon EF only.

PostPosted: Sat Aug 22, 2020 6:43 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Okay, good to know! Now I only need to win the lens Smile

PostPosted: Sat Aug 22, 2020 7:09 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Which lens are you trying to win?
As mentioned the biggest issue is a EXA to Canon EF adapter. The pin will be an issue there.
Mirrorless cameras will be fine.

I have had luck with most commonly available adapters.
I have a Fotasy EXA-FX adapter.
I have a Kecay EXA-FX adapter which looks to be made in the same factory as Fotasy.
A K&F EXA adapter should also work.
Beschoi are basically the same as K&F or appear to be made in the same factory.

Any of those brands will make a NEX adapter.

PostPosted: Sun Aug 23, 2020 7:49 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

cbass wrote:
Which lens are you trying to win?
As mentioned the biggest issue is a EXA to Canon EF adapter. The pin will be an issue there.
Mirrorless cameras will be fine.

I have had luck with most commonly available adapters.
I have a Fotasy EXA-FX adapter.
I have a Kecay EXA-FX adapter which looks to be made in the same factory as Fotasy.
A K&F EXA adapter should also work.
Beschoi are basically the same as K&F or appear to be made in the same factory.

Any of those brands will make a NEX adapter.

Just won a Topcon RE2 with 58/1.8 and 135/3.5 😁. Thanks for your advice.

PostPosted: Sun Aug 23, 2020 8:04 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Congrats

PostPosted: Sun Aug 23, 2020 8:10 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Lightshow wrote:
Congrats

Thank you. Hopefully it is in good condition like the seller says.
I'm not very lucky in that regard lately.

PostPosted: Sun Aug 23, 2020 9:23 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Win some loose some Wink

PostPosted: Sun Aug 23, 2020 3:36 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Congrats. Of the cheap Chinese adapters K&F/Beschoi have the best quality. They are heavy though as I think they contain brass. I use the Fotasy ones because they are aluminum and seem to pair better with the light aluminum Topcor lenses. With fast lenses and Chinese adapters it's worth looking at how reflective they are and tuning them for light reflections. You can use velvet or a paint like Black 3.0.

https://phillipreeve.net/blog/tuning-adapters-infinity-focus-reflections/

I took a look at my adapters and the K&F deals the best with internal reflections. The Fotasy is significantly more reflective in comparison. I even have one where they missed painting/anodizing a spot inside the adapter.

PostPosted: Tue Aug 25, 2020 6:18 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Personally I dislike all Exakta adapters I've tried. The locking arm is a significant weak point. Be very careful not to break it.

I've been thinking of making my own from an old Exakta camera.

PostPosted: Thu Sep 10, 2020 11:34 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

The Kipon one is the best I`ve tried, tighest fit.Some topcors suffer badly from the internal reflections on the cheaper ones and I tried a few.

PostPosted: Fri Sep 11, 2020 12:48 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

I have 2 different Exakta adapters, they both work without issue for every Exakta mount lens I have from CZJ, Angénieux, Topcor R & RE, plus a few others.
Like these two: this is like the first one I bought, it worked great, but didn't blend in with the RE lens body, so I bought the other one which almost looks like one lens.

I got my newer adapter from big_is but he no longer sells adapters it looks like this one:

You'll notice the release bar is less pronounced on this one, which I also prefer, it is less likely to accidentally release my lens.
On a side note:
The RE lenses without the kidney recess will not mount on the Topcon R cameras, I don't know if that's also true about Exakta cameras, I don't have any bodies to test my lenses with.

About the Exakta to EF adapters, it's the extra pins that Topcon added to their lenses that interferes with some adapters which don't have extra grooves to accommodate them, if you look at enough of the adapters you'll eventually see the difference.

Last edited by Lightshow on Sun Sep 13, 2020 9:42 am; edited 1 time in total

PostPosted: Fri Sep 11, 2020 7:04 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

That last style adapter with the extra slot I have only seen made by Fotasy. The one pictured is not it. That's just a Exacta to Canon EF adapter.
I have one and unfortunately it does not work as intended. The pin on the lens sticks out further than the thickness of the adapter.
You would need to grind down or remove the pin.
The only Topcor lens I have that works with that adapter is the 58mm macro which is in a variable extension tube that does not have a pin.

This is the adapter you would need, but it looks to be out of production now.

http://amzn.com/B01K9EKYZ2

Furthermore, Fotasy claims it will only work on APS-C Canon's and not full frame.