Home

Please support mflenses.com if you need any graphic related work order it from us, click on above banner to order!

SearchSearch MemberlistMemberlist RegisterRegister ProfileProfile Log in to check your private messagesLog in to check your private messages Log inLog in

recommended M42-NEX adapter with built in focusing helicoid?
View previous topic :: View next topic  

PostPosted: Wed Jun 20, 2018 11:46 am    Post subject: recommended M42-NEX adapter with built in focusing helicoid? Reply with quote

There don't seem to be many NEX-m42 with built in adapters, they're common for other mounts but not Sony E-mount/NEX for whatever reason.

I'm looking at combining these Pixco ones,

Click here to see on Ebay

Has anyone used this brand before?

PostPosted: Wed Jun 20, 2018 11:55 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

You just need to buy the M42 nex, the thin version, it is so cheap.

I buy my helicoid on taobao, from a CNC manufacturer, they are more expansive, brass inner core, but quality is there.

Cheap helicoid tend to have gap with time, but all depend of the final use.

For me real gem lens, I choose expansive helicoid, cheap project, cheap helicoid from ebay.

Your link are broken, so I don't know for yours.

PostPosted: Wed Jun 20, 2018 2:33 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Cheap but works OK

PostPosted: Wed Jun 20, 2018 2:47 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

I have the one Calvin links to. It is pretty good. Well made and reasonable tolerances. My only issue is that with certain lenses (takumar mostly) it gives a washed out area in the center of the image. I sprayed the inside with flat black and that helped some. When extended the inside has a sheen from the lubricant that has adverse affect on optics.

PostPosted: Wed Jun 20, 2018 3:01 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

I have the Pixco M42-NEX adapter, it works Ok. Although you will find quite a lot of oil on their helicoid, might need to remove some of it.

PostPosted: Wed Jun 20, 2018 5:06 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

I have two from Pixco: OM-NEX and FD-NEX.

OM-NEX is meh: has some play in it, was quite a bit shorter in collapsed state. Had to shim it.
FD-NEX build quality is superb.

Overall, I'm happy with Pixco helicoids, just be prepared to shim if you want precise infinity hard stop.
And as everyone stated above, they have quite a lot of oil inside to remove.