Home

Please support mflenses.com if you need any graphic related work order it from us, click on above banner to order!

SearchSearch MemberlistMemberlist RegisterRegister ProfileProfile Log in to check your private messagesLog in to check your private messages Log inLog in

Recommendations fast 35mm lens?
View previous topic :: View next topic  

PostPosted: Thu Feb 28, 2019 9:49 am    Post subject: Recommendations fast 35mm lens? Reply with quote

Any recommendations on a quality fast (f/2 or faster) 35mm lens?
Budget max 300 $

B.t.w. I like smooth bokeh.

PostPosted: Thu Feb 28, 2019 9:50 am    Post subject: Re: Recommendations fast 35mm lens? Reply with quote

caspert79 wrote:
Any recommendations on a quality fast (f/2 or faster) 35mm lens?
Budget max 300 $

B.t.w. I like smooth bokeh.

What are you going to mount it on Caspert?

PostPosted: Thu Feb 28, 2019 10:16 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

I have a bunch of adapters so the mount doesn’t really matter.

By the way I have a Takumar 35/2 already, but I'm not too impressed by it.

PostPosted: Thu Feb 28, 2019 10:18 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

M43, APSC or fullframe?

PostPosted: Thu Feb 28, 2019 10:24 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Sjak wrote:
M43, APSC or fullframe?

Fullframe.

PostPosted: Thu Feb 28, 2019 11:01 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

You want it smooth you might wanna cut off some borders: http://www.photobyrichard.com/reviewbyrichard/zhongyi-mitakon-speedmaster-35mm-f0-95-mark-ii-review/

PostPosted: Thu Feb 28, 2019 12:12 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

caspert79 wrote:

Fullframe.
Users are very impressed with the ZM Distagon 1.4/35 but that's definitely out of your budget. The Voigtlander Ultron 1.7/35 is really nice, maybe you could be lucky on the bay?

The 7artisans 2/35 in M-mount also looks promising, and seems built to a higher standard than versions in other mounts. Fits the price requirement too.

PostPosted: Thu Feb 28, 2019 12:16 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Fujinon 35mm f/1.9 - mine's in 42-screw with the Fujica open-aperture metering lug on the aperture ring filed off and the aperture pin glued in. It may have also been available in Fujica AX bayonet mount, but I'm not sure.

Pin sharp, glare and flare resistant wide open and as smooth as you like bokeh Smile

Oh, and I forgot to mention ... as rare as hens' teeth!

Good luck Smile

PostPosted: Thu Feb 28, 2019 1:14 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

kypfer wrote:
Fujinon 35mm f/1.9 - mine's in 42-screw with the Fujica open-aperture metering lug on the aperture ring filed off and the aperture pin glued in. It may have also been available in Fujica AX bayonet mount, but I'm not sure.

Pin sharp, glare and flare resistant wide open and as smooth as you like bokeh Smile

Oh, and I forgot to mention ... as rare as hens' teeth!

Good luck Smile

Do you have some sample pictures?

PostPosted: Thu Feb 28, 2019 1:43 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

caspert79 wrote:
Do you have some sample pictures?

I'll admit to not keeping a totally reliable record of which lens took which picture, so to be 100% sure I'll take a few shots with the 35mm f/1.9 in the next day or two (between the showers) and post them here Smile

PostPosted: Thu Feb 28, 2019 2:02 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Vivitar (Komine) 35mm f1.9

PostPosted: Thu Feb 28, 2019 4:05 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Yeah I remember that Vivitar, as used to have one as a student. It was a decent performer.
Other tips welcome.

PostPosted: Thu Feb 28, 2019 4:27 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Here's a few shots with the Fujinon 35mm f/1.9 taken earlier this afternoon, as they came from the camera, just resized for posting. No tubes or other accessories, just the 1.3ft 0.4m minimum focus of the lens, fitted with it's supplied lens hood. Sorry about the dust on the sensor!

PostPosted: Thu Feb 28, 2019 4:39 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Thank you.
I'm not sure about its bokeh. Looks smooth on one picture, and busy on the other.

PostPosted: Thu Feb 28, 2019 5:39 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

caspert79 wrote:
Thank you.
I'm not sure about its bokeh. Looks smooth on one picture, and busy on the other.

The "busy" shot of Gorse has a much shallower depth to it than the shots of the Daffodils, probably only a few of inches, the Daffodils are rather more isolated in their surroundings. I'm not claiming they're "good" shots, but they are reasonably representative of the lens's capabilities wide open. Hope they help Smile

PostPosted: Thu Feb 28, 2019 5:51 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

kypfer wrote:
caspert79 wrote:
Thank you.

The "busy" shot of Gorse has a much shallower depth to it than the shots of the Daffodils, probably only a few of inches, the Daffodils are rather more isolated in their surroundings. I'm not claiming they're "good" shots, but they are reasonably representative of the lens's capabilities wide open. Hope they help Smile

Thank you, i will keep my eyes open!

PostPosted: Thu Feb 28, 2019 9:19 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Not knowing what camera you are using this recommendation is just a guess. 7Artisans 2.0/35 in M mount.

PostPosted: Thu Feb 28, 2019 11:00 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

You might like to consider the Canon FD 35mm f2 with the concave front element.
It is quite good and can probably be found around your budget.
Tom

PostPosted: Thu Feb 28, 2019 11:23 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Nikkor 35mm f2 AI it's the one I've used the other day, beautiful smooth bokeh and sharp wide open,even though my copy isn't very good shape.

PostPosted: Fri Mar 01, 2019 12:43 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Minolta MD 35mm 1.8

PostPosted: Fri Mar 01, 2019 1:07 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

samyang 35mm 1.4

PostPosted: Fri Mar 01, 2019 2:16 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

kiddo wrote:
Nikkor 35mm f2 AI it's the one I've used the other day, beautiful smooth bokeh and sharp wide open,even though my copy isn't very good shape.

I was going to recommend the AIS version of the Nikon 35/2. Not sure if the optical formula between the two versions is different.

PostPosted: Fri Mar 01, 2019 2:44 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

invisible wrote:
kiddo wrote:

I was going to recommend the AIS version of the Nikon 35/2. Not sure if the optical formula between the two versions is different.

I'm not sure, mine is the all metal body, one of the older version , still running smooth ,but had a tough life. For bokeh,in 35mm I prefer this one before the flek or distagon , one stop extra helps a lot . It surprise me they ain't going too expensive these days, well, cheaper than Zeiss,which in long distance , landscape is my best indeed.

PostPosted: Fri Mar 01, 2019 3:01 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

caspert79 wrote:
I have a bunch of adapters so the mount doesn’t really matter.

If you have a DSLR it eliminates a bunch of options, Samsung NX? No M mount for you. So it does matter.

Nikkor O.C 35/2

PostPosted: Fri Mar 01, 2019 4:18 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Komura 35 mm it's got multiple blades, nice and smooth bokeh ,but that's only 2.5 and quite soft (this one didn't try it much WO)