Home

Please support mflenses.com if you need any graphic related work order it from us, click on above banner to order!

SearchSearch MemberlistMemberlist RegisterRegister ProfileProfile Log in to check your private messagesLog in to check your private messages Log inLog in

Recommendations fast 35mm lens?
View previous topic :: View next topic  

PostPosted: Fri Mar 01, 2019 5:32 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

newst wrote:
Not knowing what camera you are using this recommendation is just a guess. 7Artisans 2.0/35 in M mount.

I’m using a Sony A7, thank you.

PostPosted: Fri Mar 01, 2019 6:22 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

I'm actually considering an AF-D Nikkor 35/2.0, as this lens has manual controls and probably fits my adapter. Apparently, it has excellent optics.

PostPosted: Fri Mar 01, 2019 8:04 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

i'm sure that it will be a fine optic.
Just be aware that the focus is really set for AF, and that the focusing collar has almost no resistance or damping.
You will get used to it, but it is such a different feel from the MF lenses with damping that it can be off-putting in practice.
It works best with Nikon DSLR's and the later Nikon Film Cameras - F4, F5, F6 in AF mode
Tom

PostPosted: Fri Mar 01, 2019 8:08 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Sjak wrote:
caspert79 wrote:

Fullframe.
Users are very impressed with the ZM Distagon 1.4/35 but that's definitely out of your budget. The Voigtlander Ultron 1.7/35 is really nice, maybe you could be lucky on the bay?

The 7artisans 2/35 in M-mount also looks promising, and seems built to a higher standard than versions in other mounts. Fits the price requirement too.

Good one, I will check the reviews.
I checked the Samyang 35/1.4 as well, but it is H U G E.

PostPosted: Fri Mar 01, 2019 8:22 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Sjak wrote:
The Voigtlander Ultron 1.7/35 is really nice, maybe you could be lucky on the bay?

Indeed, that's my most favorite 35mm lens.

A review can be seen here: https://phillipreeve.net/blog/voigtlander-ultron-11-7-35-mm-review/

However, on certain A7 models with the old style CMOS sensors there might be some limitations. On my A7R II it performs perfectly well.

PostPosted: Fri Mar 01, 2019 8:30 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

tb_a wrote:
Sjak wrote:
The Voigtlander Ultron 1.7/35 is really nice, maybe you could be lucky on the bay?

A review can be seen here: https://phillipreeve.net/blog/voigtlander-ultron-11-7-35-mm-review/

However, on certain A7 models with the old style CMOS sensors there might be some limitations. On my A7R II it performs perfectly well.

Good luck finding that lens within the $300 budget.
Smile
T

PostPosted: Fri Mar 01, 2019 5:34 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Sjak wrote:

tb_a wrote:

Oldhand wrote:

I've paid EUR 256.- for mine. Smile

But you're right, Tom, nowadays it's rather difficult to find it for that price. I've bought it already 2013 second hand.

PostPosted: Fri Mar 01, 2019 7:02 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

tb_a wrote:
Sjak wrote:

tb_a wrote:

Oldhand wrote:

I've paid EUR 256.- for mine. Smile

But you're right, Tom, nowadays it's rather difficult to find it for that price. I've bought it already 2013 second hand.

I'm happy to give you 300 for it 😊

PostPosted: Fri Mar 01, 2019 7:42 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

The best 35mm I've shot with is the Samyang 35mm 1.4. Even @ 1.4 it is very sharp, with outstandingly accurate colors. Of course it is big and while the build quality is okay, when a fragile piece of the aperture mechanism broke on me, nothing I could do could get me a replacement part.

I currently shoot with the Nikkor Ai-s 35mm f/2, which is very nice and small--but not a match for the Samyang 35mm. The Nikkor colors, though pleasing, cannot match the Samyang. Best jt

PostPosted: Fri Mar 01, 2019 9:17 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Focusthrow wrote:
The best 35mm I've shot with is the Samyang 35mm 1.4. Even @ 1.4 it is very sharp, with outstandingly accurate colors. Of course it is big and while the build quality is okay, when a fragile piece of the aperture mechanism broke on me, nothing I could do could get me a replacement part.

I currently shoot with the Nikkor Ai-s 35mm f/2, which is very nice and small--but not a match for the Samyang 35mm. The Nikkor colors, though pleasing, cannot match the Samyang. Best jt

Yeah, the reviews of the Samyang's optical performance are very positive. How did your aperture break if I may ask?

PostPosted: Sat Mar 02, 2019 1:31 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

There's the Nokton 40 1.4 with 10 blades , ....... it's not a 35mm of course. I , personally cannot get along with the 40mm,but I'm sure others would find it very good - the last ones I've seen going for 300 euros ,brand new

PostPosted: Sat Mar 02, 2019 10:23 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

kiddo wrote:
There's the Nokton 40 1.4 with 10 blades , ....... it's not a 35mm of course. I , personally cannot get along with the 40mm,but I'm sure others would find it very good - the last ones I've seen going for 300 euros ,brand new

I have this lens as well. Also very recommendable. It's even smaller than the CV 35/1.7.

Here is an example picture from the CV 40/1.4 on the Sony A7R II (clickable for best quality):

PostPosted: Wed Mar 06, 2019 5:12 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

invisible wrote:
kiddo wrote:
Nikkor 35mm f2 AI it's the one I've used the other day, beautiful smooth bokeh and sharp wide open,even though my copy isn't very good shape.

I was going to recommend the AIS version of the Nikon 35/2. Not sure if the optical formula between the two versions is different.

As far as I know the Nikkor-O Auto, OC Auto, AI and AI-S all have the same optical formula.

The AF-D has a different formula (two lenses less). If AF is not necessary, then I would take the older version, because imho that version has the nicer bokeh.

PostPosted: Wed Mar 06, 2019 5:21 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

tb_a wrote:
kiddo wrote:

I have this lens as well. Also very recommendable. It's even smaller than the CV 35/1.7.

Here is an example picture from the CV 40/1.4 on the Sony A7R II (clickable for best quality):

Interesting tip, 40mm is just as usable for me.

PostPosted: Thu Mar 07, 2019 6:19 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

I own two 35mm lenses, f/2.0 or faster. A Nikkor 35mm f/2.0 OC pre-AI that was AI'd by Nikon, and a Vivitar 35mm f/1.9. The Nikkor is a fine performer for an older lens, but the Vivitar, which is also an older lens, clearly out performs it. In fact, the Vivitar is an impressively sharp lens.

PostPosted: Thu Mar 07, 2019 11:40 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

MIR 24H, AFAIK a russian 2/35 mm Flektogon, but don't quote me on that. I like it.

PostPosted: Fri Mar 08, 2019 12:06 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Since it hasn’t been asked yet, what do you intend to use it for?

PostPosted: Fri Mar 08, 2019 5:10 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

frenched wrote:
Since it hasn’t been asked yet, what do you intend to use it for?

Indoor shots/ street photography.

PostPosted: Fri Mar 08, 2019 10:51 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Nokton 40 1.2??? Not a cheap one ,about 700 second hand , impressive lens

Last edited by kiddo on Tue Mar 12, 2019 12:30 am; edited 1 time in total

PostPosted: Mon Mar 11, 2019 5:11 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

caspert79 wrote:
Focusthrow wrote:

Yeah, the reviews of the Samyang's optical performance are very positive. How did your aperture break if I may ask?

It was my fault, not the fault of the lens. jt

PostPosted: Tue Mar 12, 2019 11:04 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Tried several 35mm lenses.

I agree the Vivitar was very sharp althought quite big and heavy and I dislike it's bokeh. Had a Soligor 35mm which was very similar, maybe a tad better bokeh and slightly less shap wide open.

Nikkor O is a good lens with great rendering, low contrast but sharp and quite nice bokeh for a vintage wide angle. Not easy to find in good conditions at fair price.

Minolta 35mm f/2,8 is extremely sharp. Minolta 35mm f/1,8 is almost the same, as sharp, brighter but bokeh is quite poor. I heard Canon FD 35mm lenses are quite similar.

I had the Voigtlander 35mm f/1,7. Excellent lens but expensive and I didn't like it's handling. Minimal focus distance is too long without close focus adapter.

Finally sold everything except the cheap Minolta 35 f/2,8 and bought a 40mm. Voigtlander 40mm f/2 Ultron is excellent, only it's bokeh has nothing special.

PostPosted: Tue Mar 12, 2019 6:02 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

MMouse wrote:

I agree the Vivitar was very sharp althought quite big and heavy and I dislike it's bokeh. Had a Soligor 35mm which was very similar, maybe a tad better bokeh and slightly less shap wide open.

Nikkor O is a good lens with great rendering, low contrast but sharp and quite nice bokeh for a vintage wide angle. Not easy to find in good conditions at fair price.

Minolta 35mm f/2,8 is extremely sharp. Minolta 35mm f/1,8 is almost the same, as sharp, brighter but bokeh is quite poor. I heard Canon FD 35mm lenses are quite similar.

I had the Voigtlander 35mm f/1,7. Excellent lens but expensive and I didn't like it's handling. Minimal focus distance is too long without close focus adapter.

Finally sold everything except the cheap Minolta 35 f/2,8 and bought a 40mm. Voigtlander 40mm f/2 Ultron is excellent, only it's bokeh has nothing special.

I'm considering saving for one of those Voigtlanders.

PostPosted: Tue Mar 12, 2019 9:56 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

caspert79 wrote:
MMouse wrote:

I'm considering saving for one of those Voigtlanders.

The Voigtlander is sharp of course, and I find its bokeh not unpleasant.
Tom

PostPosted: Wed Mar 13, 2019 1:41 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Lightshow wrote:

Nikkor O.C 35/2

Would go also for this Nikkor. Those old formulas has nice representative character.

But that Fuji 35/1.9 got my interest, too. Fuji is knows by smooth OOF transitions.
I would bet that one to another can has some exceptions in some inperfect captures. That some backgrounds can makes trouble for some glasses.

PostPosted: Wed Mar 13, 2019 4:28 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Minolta MD 35/1.8
Konica AR 35/2
Flektogon 35/2.4 (if you shoot close-ups)
Canon FDn 35/2 review here: https://www.theweekendlens.com/canon-fd-35-f2.html

Generally, most old 35mm prime lenses won't have the best bokeh, but it depends on many factors.