Home

Please support mflenses.com if you need any graphic related work order it from us, click on above banner to order!

SearchSearch MemberlistMemberlist RegisterRegister ProfileProfile Log in to check your private messagesLog in to check your private messages Log inLog in

recomend an M42 film camera
View previous topic :: View next topic  

PostPosted: Sun Jul 22, 2007 12:12 am    Post subject: recomend an M42 film camera Reply with quote

I am thinking of having a back up camera body for film to my digital EOS. What camera would you recommend for good light metering at open aperture?

PostPosted: Sun Jul 22, 2007 12:18 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Depend from your budget. I suppose all Nikon camera is a good choice. On low budget any Pentax or Praktica would be fine.Check first what kind of battery need for operation.

PostPosted: Sun Jul 22, 2007 12:27 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

If you intend "good light metering at open aperture" literally and restrictively, this excludes a lot of M42 cameras, because most of them, including the new Bessamatic TM, operate metering in stop-down mode.

I have three Prakitica cameras, the MTL5, Nova 2, and VLC2, and the first two meter in stop down mode, while the third one I think not, but I am not 100% because it's impossible to find a battery replacement for the PX21 type and verify.

PostPosted: Sun Jul 22, 2007 1:06 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Quote:
TTL-metering using electronic aperture simulation for measurement with open aperture (using electric lenses) or stopped-down metering with non-electric lenses

Need to use electric lenses for open aperture metering.

Praktica VLC battery purchase source if it works.

http://www.smallbattery.company.org.uk/?http://www.smallbattery.company.org.uk/sbc_px21.htm

PostPosted: Sun Jul 22, 2007 1:31 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Attila wrote:

Need to use electric lenses for open aperture metering.

yes, youre right. You need a matching of an electric camera and an electric lens.

Quote:
Praktica VLC battery purchase source if it works.

http://www.smallbattery.company.org.uk/?http://www.smallbattery.company.org.uk/sbc_px21.htm[/quote]

Thanks, I know this shop, I have bought from them a very expensive replacement for mercuric oxide PX13 battery that did not work. 30 Pounds wasted. So now I am a bit cautious about them, also because, to my knowledge, the PX21 batteries are not build anymore, and what they have (also based on the photographs, which portray the old model) is most likely remainders of past stocks, and the fact that they have them on offer makes me really think that those batteries are running short of charge - and probably the claimed "several years shelf life" is already mostly used up for them.

PostPosted: Sun Jul 22, 2007 10:55 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Another possibility custom made battery I sold a VlC3 it has custom made battery.If important I able to ask who made it in local photo shop.

PostPosted: Sun Jul 22, 2007 11:18 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Attila wrote:
Another possibility custom made battery I sold a VlC3 it has custom made battery.If important I able to ask who made it in local photo shop.

No, thanks Attila, it's not important. I am keeping the VLC2 just because I like the way it looks Smile
Also in any case I always use those cameras with my external meter, battery is only useful for travels, but then I can take with me one of the other two Prakticas.

PostPosted: Sun Jul 22, 2007 11:20 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

I guess you never use again your praktica Smile you have so many other good camera. I have also many praktica and I am sure I never use them again.

PostPosted: Sun Jul 22, 2007 11:30 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Attila wrote:
I guess you never use again your praktica Smile you have so many other good camera.

Actually, I am planning to take one with me to Budapest. Laughing
My original plan was to buy the Bessaflex, but I'm running short of money so that was cancelled.

PostPosted: Sun Jul 22, 2007 11:34 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Smile
Okay , if not works fine you will have planty of replacement here. This is Praktica country.

PostPosted: Sun Jul 22, 2007 3:17 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Orio wrote:
If you intend "good light metering at open aperture" literally and restrictively, this excludes a lot of M42 cameras, because most of them, including the new Bessamatic TM, operate metering in stop-down mode.

I have three Praktica cameras, the MTL5, Nova 2, and VLC2, and the first two meter in stop down mode, while the third one I think not, but I am not 100% because it's impossible to find a battery replacement for the PX21 type and verify.

Pentax ES and Spotmatic F have full aperture metering, but you need to use the later Takumar or 3rd party M42 lenses specially designed to work with these cameras. You can fit ordinary M42 lenses but you need to use stop-down metering. The original Spotmatic and the SPII use stop-down metering and also take any M42 lenses.

I think the choice of M42 camera really depends upon what standard of metering and automatic exposure control you're looking for. For a basic manual camera without metering (or with external match-needle metering), as long as the shutter is in good condition you can't really go far wrong with a Praktica Nova 1 or 1B, usually going for less than ?10. They were solidly built, will accept all M42 lenses and don't use any batteries at all.

The later Praktica L-series and all Pentax Spotmatics used Mercury cells. I'm currently using alternative WeinCell MRB400 zinc-air cells in my Spotmatics but they are expensive and don't last more than a year. I hear it's possible to use standard 1.5v silver oxide cells but I haven't tried them yet.

As an alternative, how about a Pentax ME Super? It has the still-current Pentax K bayonet mount, but any M42 lens can be fitted easily using a simple M42/Pentax K adapter ring, as the register distance is identical. It has a very nice large and bright viewfinder with split-circle focussing screen, TTL metering (full aperture with the bayonet lenses) and manual or aperture-priority auto exposure mode. And it takes modern LR44 alkaline button cell batteries.

PostPosted: Sun Jul 22, 2007 4:56 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Praktica BC-1: http://www.praktica-collector.de/221_Praktica_BC1.htm

Full aperture metering with the PB lenses but stop-down with M42 via the adapter and it uses a PX28 6v silver oxide or alkaline battery or 4 x LR44.

Focus screen has matte, microprism and split-image focus aids.

Still use mine.

Just don't ever fit and use the motor-wind.......

PostPosted: Sun Jul 22, 2007 7:40 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

For full aperture metering there's also the M42 Prakticas that use the CZJ and Pentacon "electric" lenses - models LLC, PLC, VLC and EE. I don't know how reliable they are, though.

They use large PX21 batteries @ ?9 each Click here to see on Ebay.

PostPosted: Sat Jul 28, 2007 9:30 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

thanks for the replies I forgot I posted this I think I had a few beers that night Embarassed I would like full TTL metering if possible and good battery availability. Alternatives may be a contax/yashica for my 3 new lenses or a film EOS and use my adapters, would this have 5D like mirror issues with some lenses?

PostPosted: Sat Jul 28, 2007 9:51 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

hacksawbob wrote:
a film EOS and use my adapters, would this have 5D like mirror issues with some lenses?

The 5D's mirror is a bit bigger than that of other Canon bodies hence the issues. AFAIK no other EF mount Canon bodies have any mirror fouling problems when a non-EF mount lens is used with an adapter.

Safest way to check is by mounting the adapter on the lens/es in question and ensuring that no part of the lens extends beyond the rear of the adapter especially at infinity focus.