Home

Please support mflenses.com if you need any graphic related work order it from us, click on above banner to order!

SearchSearch MemberlistMemberlist RegisterRegister ProfileProfile Log in to check your private messagesLog in to check your private messages Log inLog in

Received my Olympus 35RC
View previous topic :: View next topic  

PostPosted: Fri Oct 26, 2007 12:47 pm    Post subject: Received my Olympus 35RC Reply with quote

Received today, good general status. Even the seals seem to be in good condition...
I'll post some pictures later on.
This has come in less than a week from the U.K. whilst I'm still waiting for the FED-2 and the Konica C35 Auto... that were bought 20 days ago.

Now my rangefinder collection is

- A Chinon 35EE (already resealed and being tried)
- A Konica C35V (not really a rangefinder, but a zoner).
- An original Canonet (pending to refurbish)
- A Canonet 28 in excellent mood, with the original case (a gem).
- The Konica C35 auto (pending of arrival).
- The FED-2, also pending of arrival.
- The Olympus 35 RC just received.

I'm looking at the Canonet III GL17, but they have raised too much these days. Also the FED-5 and some Leicas, but these latest are extremely expensive by now....

And what's more important, I've having lots of fun!!!

Best regards,
Jes (slowing down in buyings).

PostPosted: Fri Oct 26, 2007 1:47 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

niblue wrote:
Nice collection. In your opinion what's the best one of the Russian rangefinders to start with (from a useability point of view as much as anything else)?

I think Veijo could talk with much more knowledge than myself, Wink, I bought the FED-2 according his recommendations and some advice from the other colleagues... But I've to receive it yet.

As far as I know, a FED-2 or FED-3 could be a nice starting point.

Best regards,
Jes.

PostPosted: Fri Oct 26, 2007 3:02 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Welcome to the club, Jes!

The Oly 35RC is a great little cam. I am still on my first roll, but I really like how it handles.
If you really want to buy a Leica rangefinder cam, the "cheapest" one would be a M3 or a CM (which was produced with Minolta and which is a fantastic cam with an excellent Summarit 40 lens!). Th M5 is not as highly respected as the others (and thus a little cheaper) but very hard to find.

@niblue: I have "started" with a FED-3b which I have never regretted!

Last edited by LucisPictor on Sun Oct 28, 2007 9:33 am; edited 1 time in total

PostPosted: Sun Oct 28, 2007 4:58 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

LucisPictor wrote:

If you really want to buy a Leica rangefinder cam, the "cheapest" one would be a M3 or a CM (

"cheapest" is around 400€ by now...
I keep an eye on them.
Best regards,
Jes.

PostPosted: Sun Oct 28, 2007 5:34 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Hi Jes,
your rangefinder collection get bigger
have you visit http://rangefinderforum.com/
You open the champagne today ? Laughing

PostPosted: Sun Oct 28, 2007 6:14 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

poilu wrote:
Hi Jes,
your rangefinder collection get bigger
have you visit http://rangefinderforum.com/
You open the champagne today ? Laughing

Poilu, thanks for the pointer, I knew the place (however nothing like this one Wink ).
And yes, I'd have to open the bottles today even being tomorrow the real date, because my three daugthers and son have come to share the weekend with me and tomorrow they will be back to their normal lives (two of them somewhat far from here), thanks for remembering!.
They gave me yesterday a funny present, a book called "The book of bunny suicides", with plenty of comic strips about bunnies that are tired of life...
(I don't know if this has a hidden meaning Laughing )
Today we'll be out to take pictures. The only day in the year they don't object me wearing the camera and taking pictures to them Laughing

Best regards,
Jes.

PostPosted: Sun Oct 28, 2007 9:35 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Is is your birthday today? If yes, all the best! Enjoy the day!

PostPosted: Sun Oct 28, 2007 4:11 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

LucisPictor wrote:
Is is your birthday today? If yes, all the best! Enjoy the day!

Thanks Carsten, it's tomorrow but we celebrate it today, my daughters can only come during the week ends...

Best regards,
Jes,

PostPosted: Mon Oct 29, 2007 3:43 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

LucisPictor wrote:

The Oly 35RC is a great little cam. I am still on my first roll, but I really like how it handles.
If you really want to buy a Leica rangefinder cam, the "cheapest" one would be a M3 or a CM (which was produced with Minolta and which is a fantastic cam with an excellent Summarit 40 lens!). Th M5 is not as highly respected as the others (and thus a little cheaper) but very hard to find.

Hi Carsten,
How did you sort the battery problem?. Mine has no battery in, and my battery stock only contains the smaller zinc-air ones... So I'd have to build an adapter quite soon
I've noticed the camera does work even without a battery inside. The only issue is the light meter not working, but you can take pictures!.

Best regards,
Jes.

PostPosted: Mon Oct 29, 2007 3:46 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

LucisPictor wrote:
Th M5 is not as highly respected as the others (and thus a little cheaper) but very hard to find.

Respect and price on M5 have changed recently... Laughing Laughing

Click here to see on Ebay

Best regards,
Jes.

PostPosted: Mon Oct 29, 2007 7:33 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

"Cheap" and "Leica" usually go together in a sentence only when "fungus" or "scratch" are present. Rolling Eyes

-

PostPosted: Tue Oct 30, 2007 3:11 am    Post subject: Social presentation of the Oly 35RC Reply with quote

Hi!

This is how "she" looks like:

Now waiting for the "rod" adapter for the battery to come.

Best regards,
Jes.

PostPosted: Sun Nov 11, 2007 6:26 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Jes, did you ever get the 35RC going? I just ran a roll through the 2nd
35RC I have. Pretty boring pics, I went out to the army base to shoot
some fall color, but it was late afternoon, colors were kind of wonky.
This is a roll of expired (by 8 months) Fujicolor 200:

"The Three Shadows"

The first negative was scanned with USM off in the Epson Twain software
and the other two had USM applied during scanning. These are all scanned at 2400dpi.

Bill

PostPosted: Sun Nov 11, 2007 9:17 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Jesito wrote:
LucisPictor wrote:

Hi Carsten,
How did you sort the battery problem?. Mine has no battery in, and my battery stock only contains the smaller zinc-air ones... So I'd have to build an adapter quite soon
I've noticed the camera does work even without a battery inside. The only issue is the light meter not working, but you can take pictures!.

Best regards,
Jes.

Sorry that I haven't answered for so long. I just seem to have missed ths thread for a while.

I use V625U batteries and these seem to work really well.

PostPosted: Sun Nov 11, 2007 11:40 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Katastrofo wrote:
Jes, did you ever get the 35RC going? I just ran a roll through the 2nd
35RC I have. Pretty boring pics, I went out to the army base to shoot
some fall color, but it was late afternoon, colors were kind of wonky.
This is a roll of expired (by 8 months) Fujicolor 200:

"The Three Shadows"

The first negative was scanned with USM off in the Epson Twain software
and the other two had USM applied during scanning. These are all scanned at 2400dpi.

Bill

Not yet, Bill. I got a rod to use with the smaller Zinc-air batteries, but before putting in the battery I notice some seal leakages, so it's in the resealing queue... I don't want more "flamed" pictures anymore. Hope that today I'll be able of setting the reseal factory up...

About your pictures: Remarkable sharpness, might the sky be a little overexposed?. Maybe related to the battery... Which battery are you using?.

Best regards,
Jes.

PostPosted: Sun Nov 11, 2007 11:52 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

LucisPictor wrote:

Sorry that I haven't answered for so long. I just seem to have missed ths thread for a while.

I use V625U batteries and these seem to work really well.

These are alkaline, 1,5 Volt. Let's try them. Depend on the unit these are going fine. On my Sixon Gossen lightmeter I'm using alkalines as well and it seems to work fine. I've measured the voltage and it's around 1,45 volt when the battery has been used a little.

Thanks for the feedback!.
Best regards,
Jes.

PostPosted: Sun Nov 11, 2007 1:04 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Jesito wrote:
... I've measured the voltage and it's around 1,45 volt when the battery has been used a little.

That's the point. Most 625 batteries (esp. the cheap ones you can find on ebay Wink) get to that voltage quickly.

PostPosted: Sat Nov 17, 2007 12:52 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

The problem is that they keep on dropping. The problems I've had with alkalines in camera meters has been less with underexposures at 1.5 volts than with overexposures as the battery drifts down to 1.2, 1.1, 1.0 and beyond.

One use you can put an alkaline 625 to is for making an adapter for a ZA cell: Drill a small hole in the (-) face and use a pair of needle nose pliers to rip it out of the shell... then clean out all the gray crumbly crud inside and clean the shell thoroughly. Now you've got a perfectly good battery adapter, just drop the 675 cell into the empty shell of the 625 and slip it in!

PostPosted: Sat Nov 17, 2007 1:06 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Jesito wrote:

About your pictures: Remarkable sharpness, might the sky be a little overexposed?. Maybe related to the battery... Which battery are you using?.

Best regards,
Jes.

Jes, sorry I didn't see your post. I'm using the Wein Cell replacement
batteries (PX625/PX13) and paid over $13 for 2 batteries. I think the
sky problem might be the expired film and the wonky late afternoon
light as I've gotten great exposures using these batteries otherwise.

Bill

PostPosted: Sat Nov 17, 2007 1:08 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

rick_oleson wrote:

One use you can put an alkaline 625 to is for making an adapter for a ZA cell: Drill a small hole in the (-) face and use a pair of needle nose pliers to rip it out of the shell... then clean out all the gray crumbly crud inside and clean the shell thoroughly. Now you've got a perfectly good battery adapter, just drop the 675 cell into the empty shell of the 625 and slip it in!

Rick, I was looking at these expensive Wein Cell batteries and wondered about doing this very thing, thanks!

Bill

PostPosted: Sat Nov 17, 2007 4:40 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

I use hearing aid batteries (since I have a hearing aid anyway Razz ) and I heard stories about them only lasting a month or so. In my Revueflex M42 camera with match-needle meter, the current battery is on its 3rd month...

PostPosted: Sat Nov 17, 2007 5:21 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

rick_oleson wrote:
The problem is that they keep on dropping. The problems I've had with alkalines in camera meters has been less with underexposures at 1.5 volts than with overexposures as the battery drifts down to 1.2, 1.1, 1.0 and beyond.

Thanks Rick!.
Nice trick, I got two of them (old batteries)... Now are two candidates to be resurrected as adapters, Wink.

What I've used in some cameras is a black nylon rod (the ones used in plumbing). It's usable as far as the contacts in the battery holder are on top and bottom.
Best regards,

Jes.

Last edited by Jesito on Sat Nov 17, 2007 5:30 am; edited 1 time in total

PostPosted: Sat Nov 17, 2007 5:27 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Laurence wrote:
I use hearing aid batteries (since I have a hearing aid anyway Razz ) and I heard stories about them only lasting a month or so. In my Revueflex M42 camera with match-needle meter, the current battery is on its 3rd month...

Hi Laurence,
I bought a pack of six zinc-air cells at an optics shop (where the hearing aids are sold here in Spain), and they were not so expensive, around 6€ the pack. But they last just one month, after you remove the sealing. It's matter of only using intensively a single camera during that month... Wink
I've been keeping reading the voltage with my multimeter, and after one month the voltage drops quickly under 1 volt. But the needle in the camera meter still moves...
Best regards,
Jes.

PostPosted: Sat Nov 17, 2007 6:28 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Jesito wrote:
Laurence wrote:

Hi Laurence,
I bought a pack of six zinc-air cells at an optics shop (where the hearing aids are sold here in Spain), and they were not so expensive, around 6€ the pack. But they last just one month, after you remove the sealing. It's matter of only using intensively a single camera during that month... Wink
I've been keeping reading the voltage with my multimeter, and after one month the voltage drops quickly under 1 volt. But the needle in the camera meter still moves...
Best regards,
Jes.

I see...I am going to compare my meter reading with the current battery against a fresh one.

I guess though, that if one uses a zinc-air equipped camera only occasionally, then zinc-air hearing aid cells would be a good cheap alternative over others. The cost would be certainly good in that situation. Thanks very much for the information!

PostPosted: Sat Nov 17, 2007 9:36 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

rick_oleson wrote:

OK. We have to keep that in mind then...