Home

Please support mflenses.com if you need any graphic related work order it from us, click on above banner to order!

SearchSearch MemberlistMemberlist RegisterRegister ProfileProfile Log in to check your private messagesLog in to check your private messages Log inLog in

Reasonable price for heavily used Pentax A 4/200mm Macro ED?
View previous topic :: View next topic  

PostPosted: Fri Jul 20, 2018 8:52 am    Post subject: Reasonable price for heavily used Pentax A 4/200mm Macro ED? Reply with quote

Obviously the prices for a near mint Pentax A 4/200mm Macro ED are going through the roof. I have, however, not found any reliable information on prices for a heavily used sample with lots of wear-and-tear, and bare metal shining through. I was offered such a sample ... the lenses themselves are fine, but the focusing is not as precise as i would expect from a near mint lens.

Any thoughts? Or any general experience relating the prices of rare "near mint" vs "ugly" lenses?

Thanks Wink

Stephan

PostPosted: Fri Jul 20, 2018 10:49 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Well the lens is somewhat rare in any form so price will be high-ish.
Pentax forums state average selling price of US$1,614.11 but this could be old information - and I found only two sold on ebay for around US$2500
Heavily used has to be cheaper than that.
How much is it worth to you and what would be a selling price for a comparative lens in a different brand?
How much is the buyer asking? Are you prepared to pay it or can you buy a better lens for that same price?
Just my 2c worth
Tom

PostPosted: Fri Jul 20, 2018 3:41 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

oldhand wrote:
Well the lens is somewhat rare in any form so price will be high-ish.
Pentax forums state average selling price of US$1,614.11 but this could be old information - and I found only two sold on ebay for around US$2500
Heavily used has to be cheaper than that.
How much is it worth to you and what would be a selling price for a comparative lens in a different brand?
How much is the buyer asking? Are you prepared to pay it or can you buy a better lens for that same price?
Just my 2c worth
Tom

Well, it's no so much about me ... i probably will not buy the lens. I had, however, bought from the same person a very nice Pentax LX for CHF 100 / EUR 85 (local auction with several bidders), which is very little.
Later the seller contacted me again and said he had found some more lenses, among them a Pentax 3.5/28mm Shift, the Pentax 11/1000mm Reflex and the Pentax 4/200mm Macro ED. He had planned to put the latter on auction as well, locally, with a starting price of CHF 100.--. I had to convince him that this was not a good idea: He might have ended up with as little as CHF 200.-- or 300.--. I could, however, not provide a reasonable price when he was asking me about that.

Since modern 3.5/180mm LD / APO Macro lenses (Sigma, Tamron) can be bought easily for CHF 500.--, i assume that the USD 2500 paid for pristine Pentax 4/200mm Macro ED lenses are collectors prices. And i assume that a heavily worn sample would get much less attention - but i may be wrong, of course ...

Stephan