Home

Please support mflenses.com if you need any graphic related work order it from us, click on above banner to order!

SearchSearch MemberlistMemberlist RegisterRegister ProfileProfile Log in to check your private messagesLog in to check your private messages Log inLog in

Really Bad eBay and Paypal Experience
View previous topic :: View next topic  

PostPosted: Wed Jul 02, 2008 2:48 am    Post subject: Really Bad eBay and Paypal Experience Reply with quote

I would like to share with you the really bad experience I had with Paypal and eBay recently.

At the beginning of June, I have sold two items on eBay (a Fujica GL690 and a Fujinon F:5.6 65mm lens). Both items went to great buyers (cheers to them!), who paid immediately through Paypal. As agreed, I sent the items fully insured through EMS, a very reliable express mail service.

Then I received an email from Paypal stating that Paypal had detected some "illegal activity" on my account and therefore had to suspend my account. I inquired about this "illegal activity" and I received no reply, only a stock e-mail stating that I had to fax over an impressive amount of personal documents in order to restore my account.

Immediately after that, I received the two following notifications from eBay:
"We're sorry to tell you that your eBay account was suspended because recent account activity has raised serious security concerns."
"The following listings have been removed from eBay due to concerns we have for the safety of the eBay Community: 280231362466 - Fujinon F/5.6 65mm Lens for Fuji G690/GL690 NO RESERVE and 280231417183 - Fuji GL690 Rangefinder Medium Format Camera NO RESERVE."

Needless to say I also received worried emails from my buyers, who had no yet received the items they had pay for, and were informed by eBay that these items had been removed "due to concerns for the safety of the eBay Community." They were also advised to lodge a complaint against me. Great!

Fortunately, the buyers accepted to trust my word against eBay's and both items reached their destination soon after. But the story didn't end there. I had faxed all the documents over to Paypal, but the company sent me an email stating that the documents were fine but my account couldn't be restored until both buyers of my items had left a positive feedback on my eBay account, which was of course not possible, my account having been suspended and the items deleted by eBay! On the other hand, eBay was not willing to restore my account until the so called "Paypal Abuse" had been cleared.

After more than two weeks, Paypal accepted to restore my account but eBay was still refusing to do so:
"Additional proof of ownership is required. Please submit a photograph of you with the items. Your User ID must be clearly displayed in the image."

Of course it was not possible to take a photograph of me with items that had been sent to the buyers more than two weeks before!

It took another week to eBay to finally restore my account, after almost one month of suspension. But eBay had decided that the items sold should not appear on my account:
"After further review, it has been decided that your account qualifies for reinstatement. Please note that, although your account is now active, any listings or bids that were cancelled by your account suspension will not be reinstated."

I would like to stress the fact that neither Paypal nor eBay has provided any explanation about the "abuse" I was suspected of. When my account was restored, neither company did also offer an apology or any form of compensation for the pretium doloris suffered.

Cheers!
Abbazz

PostPosted: Wed Jul 02, 2008 2:59 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Worse part is eBay and PayPal are the same company, just perhaps different divisions. You may be a victim of what you were selling (cameras/electronics) and to/from where the items were shipped. Probably was suspended by some automatic function and then no person got involved until the end. Even then they probably didn't know what they were looking at. New competitors to eBay and PayPal are starting to show up. i will look into them once they get established.

PostPosted: Wed Jul 02, 2008 3:31 am    Post subject: Another ebay victim! Reply with quote

I've had a similar frustrating time with them - nothing as bad as yours though.

I bought something and then when a few days had passed and I had no answer about delivery , I found the seller's account was unavailable.

Ebay refused to explain why, and Paypal said I could not make a non delivery complaint until I had given this guy a 'reasonable' time to send the goods.

So., he is not trustworthy enough for them, but I must be patient? I waited and waited and then attempted to initiate a goods not sent complaint. They said that I must forward everything to the seller too (the one whose account is unavailable).. Hmm

Eventually after discovering through non ebay means the guy's address etc. I managed to convince him of the health benefits of completing the deal and sending me the goods or a refund. he agreed to the refund option...

He then failed to make the refund for weeks.. and still paypal pleaded that they could do nothing... eventually he grudgingly gave me a partial refund. I then was stunned to find that ebay had reinstated his account and HE had initiated an unpaid item dispute against me!

I pointed out I paid 17 SECONDS after the auction ended, and they said not to worry he's just doing this to recover his seller's fees!

I left a neutral, which I thought generous.. next I know the twat has left me a negative.. Ebay refused to intervene saying all transactions are purely between the parties and we should do our best to be efficient!

Thanks a bunch 'sellerartist' and as for ebay and Paypal... how easy it is to hate them!

Last edited by nemesis101 on Wed Jul 02, 2008 7:21 am; edited 1 time in total

PostPosted: Wed Jul 02, 2008 6:36 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

this is a crazy story Sebastien
look like ebay are master of the game and we just have to wish to stay away from trouble with them
I don't know if it is a robot who made the mistake but all ebay surely react like a computer without brain

PostPosted: Wed Jul 02, 2008 7:18 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

I always say Ebay are vampires.
They don't give a damn about the individuals.

Gosh these are nightmare stories really. My deepest sympathy.

PostPosted: Wed Jul 02, 2008 11:18 am    Post subject: Re: Another ebay victim! Reply with quote

nemesis101 wrote:

Eventually after discovering through non ebay means the guy's address etc. I managed to convince him of the health benefits of completing the deal and sending me the goods or a refund. he agreed to the refund option...

Heh. A couple of years ago a seller had dropped out of sight after I sent him the money. It's amazing what you can find out about people via the net and just how informative neighbours can be on the telephone about certain people.
Must've freaked him out, how I knew about his personal and family life - the goods appeared a few days later.

PostPosted: Wed Jul 02, 2008 12:05 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Damn it, I am so sorry to hear this story! I moved your post to another dedicated forum.

PostPosted: Wed Jul 02, 2008 2:00 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Thanks to all for your sympathy.

The nightmare seems to be over now. I have listed two more items for sale, hopefully I will not encounter the wrath of eBay a second time and everything will go smoothly this time.

When selling items from my remote location, eBay seems like the easiest way to reach a large audience but I can tell you these guys don't make the experience very enjoyable!

Cheers!

Abbazz

PostPosted: Wed Jul 02, 2008 4:34 pm    Post subject: Re: Really Bad eBay and Paypal Experience Reply with quote

Abbazz wrote:

Then I received an email from Paypal stating that Paypal had detected some "illegal activity" on my account and therefore had to suspend my account. I inquired about this "illegal activity" and I received no reply, only a stock e-mail stating that I had to fax over an impressive amount of personal documents in order to restore my account.

Are you sure you were dealing with ebay at that point, and not some scammer phishing for your account details? I would be very worried, if you sent over documentation like social security numbers, birth certificate and so forth.

PostPosted: Wed Jul 02, 2008 6:21 pm    Post subject: Re: Really Bad eBay and Paypal Experience Reply with quote

ChrisLilley wrote:
Abbazz wrote:

Are you sure you were dealing with ebay at that point, and not some scammer phishing for your account details? I would be very worried, if you sent over documentation like social security numbers, birth certificate and so forth.

Exactly; (for the benefit of those reading who might not know this) never click on a link embedded in an email purporting to come from ebay or PP - the phishers have been quite good at making it appear genuine for quite a while now.

Ebay and PP do get up to this account suspension from time to time and are really a shower of bstards on occasion, but if you have to communicate with them always do it via the guaranteed geniune portal.

PostPosted: Wed Jul 02, 2008 6:30 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

And while we are at it, never use same password on eBay and PP.

PostPosted: Wed Jul 02, 2008 11:29 pm    Post subject: Re: Really Bad eBay and Paypal Experience Reply with quote

ChrisLilley wrote:

I never click on a link embedded in an email message. That's the rule No.1 when surfing the wild wide web.

I have been surfing the Internet since 1993 and you really think I could have dealt with hackers for one month without noticing? And those hackers would have restored my accounts as a farewell gift before starting to use the precious data harvested through this clever plot? Come on, Chris...

Cheers!

Abbazz

PostPosted: Thu Jul 03, 2008 12:17 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

It was a bit questionable, right up to the point the accounts were reinstated. Smile

They (eBay and Paypal) have gotten pretty bad lately. I joined in 1998, the good old days, when you could get some really nice bargains. It has changed a lot over the years.

PostPosted: Thu Jul 03, 2008 2:17 pm    Post subject: Re: Really Bad eBay and Paypal Experience Reply with quote

Abbazz wrote:
ChrisLilley wrote:

I never click on a link embedded in an email message. That's the rule No.1 when surfing the wild wide web.

I have been surfing the Internet since 1993 and you really think I could have dealt with hackers for one month without noticing?

It was just a worry; and was related to your first email not the rest.

Abbazz wrote:
And those hackers would have restored my accounts as a farewell gift before starting to use the precious data harvested through this clever plot? Come on, Chris...

No; at that point you were clearly dealing with ebay themselves. But I did wonder if the 'activity' ebay suspended you for was not related to your own actions but to those taken by someone who had compromised your account.

As I say it was just a worry that crossed my mind reading your posting. I'm glad to hear it was not the case.

PostPosted: Thu Jul 03, 2008 2:31 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Here is text from a well-known ebay phishing letter:

Quote:
"Due to recent illegal activity reported on eBay, including possible unauthorized listings, we have to verify the integrity and ownership of each account."