Home

Please support mflenses.com if you need any graphic related work order it from us, click on above banner to order!

SearchSearch MemberlistMemberlist RegisterRegister ProfileProfile Log in to check your private messagesLog in to check your private messages Log inLog in

90mm shootout: CZ Sonnar, Soligor, Sigma, Elmarit, Elmar-C
View previous topic :: View next topic  

PostPosted: Mon Jan 21, 2013 3:25 am    Post subject: 90mm shootout: CZ Sonnar, Soligor, Sigma, Elmarit, Elmar-C Reply with quote

Lenses tested
At these point I don't want to divulge them in order not to influence the discussion. Suffice it to say that the group is pretty diverse: there are RF lenses, SLR lenses and macros in it. All of them are priced within reason, but cost more than a student's lunch. I will slowly reveal more information over the course of this thread.

Testing goals
I'm curious how these lenses perform as a general purpose tele. Obviously, macro lenses will be more useful at large magnifications, but that's not part of this test.

Testing procedure
I've never done much lens testing because done properly ("scientifically"), it's boring work for very little practical benefit. Who cares if lens A is sharper than B on the test chart shot at 3m @ f1.8, when I'll be using A and B mostly to shoot landscapes at infinity and f8. On the other hand, just presenting images shot with the lens gives little ground for comparison as other factors (such as light) will have more impact.

I've decided to solve this problem by shooting scenes that I would typically shoot with a 90mm lens and how I would typically shoot them (i.e. aperture used) , while making sure that light and exposure for each lens are as close as possible. So far I came up with the following list of test scenes:

Close-up. Close focus shot, typically @f8 or f11 to get at least a little of DOF
    Landscape. Focus somewhere from 20m to infinity, aperture in f5.6 to f11 range
    Portrait. Large aperture shot focused at 1-3 meters

Perhaps, I add some more shots if the results will be inconclusive. At this point I don't know how this will end-up. I've used some of these lenses extensively, some not that much, but I like all of them. So far I've shot only close-up. I'll present the results in the next message.

EDIT. The lens Id's in alphabetical order: (different from the order in test shots)

Carl Zeiss Sonnar 90mm f2.8 (Contax-G mount)
    Leitz Elmarit 90mm f2.8 (M-mount, first Alu version)
    Leitz Elmar-C 90mm f4
    Sigma 90mm f2.8 macro (1:2 macro)
    Soligor 90mm f2.5 macro (1:1 macro made by Komine, the same lens is known as Vivitar/Elicar 90mm f2.8 )

Last edited by fermy on Thu Feb 14, 2013 9:35 am; edited 4 times in total

PostPosted: Mon Jan 21, 2013 3:48 am    Post subject: Close-up Reply with quote

Close-up

The close focusing ability of these lenses is very different. RF lenses focus to 1m, while macros go much closer than that. This was shot on Olympus E-PL1 at ~1m and f8. The focus is on the text near the bold N on the card. White balance was set using gray card and Pany 20mm pancake, so that not to give advantage to any of the contestants.

All pictures are straight out of camera jpegs. Some would argue that I should have shot RAW, but E-PL1 is its own best RAW converter, so I don't see a point in RAW. Next test will be a landscape shot in RAW on NEX.

Apparently in reality lens #2 is slightly longer than 90mm written on the barrel. I didn't bother cropping and aligning. Click on the shot to get access to full size images.

PostPosted: Mon Jan 21, 2013 8:38 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Can I have No2 please? Razz

PostPosted: Mon Jan 21, 2013 9:28 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

#1 has the least rounded aperture Smile

TBH I can't really pick any fault with any of these lenses for this first test. Each are sharp enough for this application / test.

-Ben

PostPosted: Mon Jan 21, 2013 9:38 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

SonicScot wrote:

and #3 for me Wink

PostPosted: Mon Jan 21, 2013 10:39 am    Post subject: Re: "Real life" test of 5 90mm lenses Reply with quote

fermy wrote:
Close-up. Close focus shot, typically @f8 or f11 to get at least a little of DOF

Opposed to performance at open aperture, which can vary widely, stopped down performance should be more or less equal, especially in a semi-telephoto.

I hardly see a difference between the samples you posted.

Any kit lens should be equally fine at f8.

PostPosted: Mon Jan 21, 2013 10:52 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

SonicScot wrote:

#2 for me too! Wink

PostPosted: Mon Jan 21, 2013 1:14 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

DigiChromeEd wrote:
SonicScot wrote:

#2 for me too! Wink

I propose a dual at dawn

Twisted Evil

PostPosted: Mon Jan 21, 2013 2:39 pm    Post subject: Re: "Real life" test of 5 90mm lenses Reply with quote

Bille wrote:

Opposed to performance at open aperture, which can vary widely, stopped down performance should be more or less equal, especially in a semi-telephoto.

I hardly see a difference between the samples you posted.

Any kit lens should be equally fine at f8.

Well, perhaps it is so. My view is that if the difference can be seen only in artificial type of shots (e.g. wide open @ infinity), then it does not exist. However, there will be a portrait shot close to wide open, perhaps it will show a difference. Btw, if you have a suggestion of "practical" test shot, I might incorporate it.

I do see minor differences in this shot, but certainly not enough to pay $100 more for one lens over the other. Which brings me to the point what the lenses are: there are 2 Leicas, 1 Carl Zeiss, 1 Sigma, and one very well regarded macro.

Sonicscot wrote:

Well, you certainly can (not sure if the mount will work for you though). In fact, I've had #2 for sale for ages, IMHO for a reasonable price as well Wink

PostPosted: Mon Jan 21, 2013 2:51 pm    Post subject: Re: "Real life" test of 5 90mm lenses Reply with quote

fermy wrote:
Sonicscot wrote:

Well, you certainly can (not sure if the mount will work for you though). In fact, I've had #2 for sale for ages, IMHO for a reasonable price as well Wink

In that case I'm gonna guess it's a Sigma in an MD or FD mount. Surprised

Incompatible mounts aside, I can't see me replacing my Bokina with any other 90mm. Wink

PostPosted: Mon Jan 21, 2013 3:14 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

There is something with resolution and/or contrast that I like in #3.

PostPosted: Mon Jan 21, 2013 4:11 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

As said, differences are subtle, and I can't see anything objectively relevant. But, if I had to choose based only on these I'd go for 3.

PostPosted: Mon Jan 21, 2013 6:29 pm    Post subject: Re: "Real life" test of 5 90mm lenses Reply with quote

SonicScot wrote:

In that case I'm gonna guess it's a Sigma in an MD or FD mount. Surprised

Incompatible mounts aside, I can't see me replacing my Bokina with any other 90mm. Wink

I suppose not, at least not until you get yourself a NEX or other mirrorless. Btw, out of these Sigma is my most used lens because it's a jack of all trades and it is very small for a 90mm macro. I am not saying that #2 is Sigma though Wink

PostPosted: Tue Jan 22, 2013 12:37 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Portrait test @f4

Since the weather is crap, I've postponed the landscape shootout and did a portrait test instead. Thankfully my father has an infinite patience and let me flash him to no end while he worked.

Since the slowest lens in this test is f4, all of these are @f4. I've also shot faster lenses at f2.8, but I'll show the results at a later time. The distance is about 3m. The camera is E-PL1 again, WB was set to E-PL1's "flash" preset. All the pictures are straight out of camera jpegs, no PP whatsoever.

PostPosted: Tue Jan 22, 2013 7:27 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Looks like the #3 is the best here Smile

Anyways they are all very close - if i had to choose i would weight the lenses by oof rendering, flare resistance, wide open performance and size/weight.

PostPosted: Wed Feb 13, 2013 4:21 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Here's the next installment of my series. This is a landscape test on NEX-5. All shots are @f8, the focus was set on the clock-tower, WB was set to NEX "cloudy" preset. This is straight import of RAW into Lightroom 4.3 with default lightroom settings. No further PP, click on the picture (twice) to get access to full resolution files.

In a couple of days I'll name the lenses and we can have a guessing game, but I encourage you to comment prior to that as well.

PostPosted: Wed Feb 13, 2013 11:49 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

In particular reference to the first set, but also to the others

Its the lighting which is the winner Smile

Good lighting can make even a poor lens shine

PostPosted: Thu Feb 14, 2013 2:04 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Aperture used are equalizing. Still no lens IDs? Based on one thing I see, I'll guess #1 lens is Vivitar or Tokina 90/2.5.

PostPosted: Thu Feb 14, 2013 8:22 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

I certainly agree that with good lenses the lighting is the biggest difference maker. Keep in mind that it's north German winter here, it was not easy to find half-decently lit scene with some colors, it's uniform greyness most of the time. The lighting on the last shot is great by our winter standards, but just OK otherwise.

I don't think that apertures used is a huge equalizer. I have saved the portraits @f2.8 (for the lenses that go to f2.8 ) , will post them after the guessing game since that would automatically reveal one slower lens in this test. Perhaps test chart testing would show bigger differences in the corners wide open, the differences that you see is what you can expect in practice.

The lens Id's in alphabetical order:

Carl Zeiss Sonnar 90mm f2.8 (Contax-G mount)
    Leitz Elmarit 90mm f2.8 (M-mount, first Alu version)
    Leitz Elmar-C 90mm f4
    Sigma 90mm f2.8 macro (1:2 macro)
    Soligor 90mm f2.5 macro (1:1 macro made by Komine, the same lens is known as Vivitar/Elicar 90mm f2.8 )

Let the guessing game begin.

PostPosted: Thu Feb 14, 2013 6:18 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

I can only say that #4 is not the Zeiss Sonnar or Leitz Elmar-C (and I also guess not the Elmarit) due the low contrast.
Are all copies in a good shape?
Sadly I don't know the Komine and the Sigma

I need some more sample pics at 2-3m distance to check the bokeh.

PostPosted: Thu Feb 14, 2013 7:20 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

ForenSeil wrote:
I can only say that #4 is not the Zeiss Sonnar or Leitz Elmar-C (and I also guess not the Elmarit) due the low contrast.
Are all copies in a good shape?

Good question. Elmarit is not in perfect shape: some dust and cleaning marks. I'd say that its condition is normal/expected for the lens of this vintage. All others are in perfect shape.

PostPosted: Thu Feb 14, 2013 7:44 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

At f8 differences are going to be minimal so the test isn't that revealing.

PostPosted: Thu Feb 14, 2013 7:53 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Well, there were f4 potraits, and I'll post f2.8 as well in due course. That being said, what sort of practical test would you like to have? My only condition is that this must be a type of shot that you would normally take with a 90mm lens.

PostPosted: Thu Feb 14, 2013 8:27 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

I never get much insight from this sort of test, I always have to use a lens for a while to get a feel for it.

PostPosted: Thu Feb 14, 2013 8:51 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Your portraits do not tell alot about the lenses.
Is it possible to have the portraits with some kind of background blur/high lights/different distances?
The landscapes are ok, they tell about color, contrast and sharpness.
I may miss some info, do they focus on infinity or hyper focal?