Home

Please support mflenses.com if you need any graphic related work order it from us, click on above banner to order!

SearchSearch MemberlistMemberlist RegisterRegister ProfileProfile Log in to check your private messagesLog in to check your private messages Log inLog in

Re covering an Olympus Trip
View previous topic :: View next topic  

PostPosted: Wed Feb 19, 2014 8:58 am    Post subject: Re covering an Olympus Trip Reply with quote

I have a number of Trips, acquired in boxes of junk cameras or from boot sales. I have thought it would be nice to dress one up in some real funky leather.

This is completely reversible.

I found these purses in a souvenir shop for about £2 each. Funky and colourful!

It was easy to take the purses apart, a little snip of the stitching and a firm tug pulled the whole thing apart in a few seconds. The leather turns out to be a thick embossed paper like material.

I peeled the covering from the camera carefully. It is self adhesive and comes off cleanly. I have now stored the vinyl stuck to some silicone paper.

Next I stuck the covering gently over the 'leather' and cut round it with scissors.

The hole for the flash socket was made with a hole punch while the original covering was still stuck on the new. To get it in exactly the right position.

I used contact adhesive spread on the back of the new covering and placed it carefully into position. Use a cocktail stick to push it into corners. When the glue is completely dried, cut any excess that may have leaked under with a scalpel and roll it off with your fingers.

Voila!

I retouched a small square of covering with red acrylic paint and managed to get some on the body but its cleaned off. I filled the Olympus Trip 35 name with red paint and when dried, carefully scraped off the excess with a plastic blade.

I plan to cover the 'leather' with clear matt nail varnish to protect it.

Just for fun and it is completely reversible.

PostPosted: Wed Feb 19, 2014 3:48 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Well I'll give you top marks for originality but I'm sorry to say it doesn't appeal to me.
It must be my age because I think cameras should be black.

PostPosted: Wed Feb 19, 2014 3:53 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Ramon wrote:
Well I'll give you top marks for originality but I'm sorry to say it doesn't appeal to me.
It must be my age because I think cameras should be black.

I totally agree not to most peoples taste I suppose. I'll pop it on ebay and see how it goes. If I get more than I paid for it I'll be happy. There are 3 more skins cut out and waiting.

It is leather, not paper. I dont know what they do to it but its probably re-constituted scrap rolled out and embossed.

PostPosted: Wed Feb 19, 2014 10:13 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

At the camera fair on Sunday there was someone selling a bunch of cameras recovered in very flashy Union Jack, Stars & Stripes, and many other design materials, and they looked OK. Even though I suspect the covering is the vinyl covered cloth sold as tablecloths. Laughing

Today, in my pursuit of bargain cameras and lenses, I was also keeping a keen eye open for some nice leather to recover the latest Yashica FX-D Quartz that I've got. This Yashica is a nice all black version and I fancy some nice red leather to pimp it up a bit. But I found this instead....

It is real leather, with a nice snakeskin finish. It's also a very nice designer bag and my beloved has taken a liking to it, so it seems my quest continues. Laughing

PostPosted: Thu Feb 20, 2014 11:20 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

I'm looking for a snakeskin myself but the pattern on that one is too big for a camera, you really need a smaller, tighter pattern.

My old mate Rolly (RIP) used to get rattlesnake skins from the US which he used to laminate onto belts and boots. He have me a head once and I used to scare the kids with it.

I wish I knew where he got them, they were nice and the real thing.

PostPosted: Fri Feb 21, 2014 1:02 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

I've just slapped the bag on the scanner and printed it full size, cut a couple of bits for the front and stuck them on the camera with tape. It doesn't look bad at all, but I want to try it with the pattern the other way. Pic's tomorrow. Wink

PostPosted: Fri Feb 21, 2014 2:32 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Nice work Phil, I like it.

If the Yashica goes wrong, I'll take it off your hands, I need a Yashica body to use with my newly acquired Yashica ML 2.8/24 and I don't care what it looks like. Wink

PostPosted: Fri Feb 21, 2014 11:17 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

iangreenhalgh1 wrote:
Nice work Phil, I like it.

If the Yashica goes wrong, I'll take it off your hands, I need a Yashica body to use with my newly acquired Yashica ML 2.8/24 and I don't care what it looks like. Wink

I'll recover this one with something Ian probably this snake skin, and I'm sure we can trade something for the other FX-D Quartz that I've re covered with the leather from the WW2 Dakota seats Wink It's in great working condition with new light seals. I have used it a couple of times and they are a nice camera.

PostPosted: Fri Feb 21, 2014 11:54 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Ooh, ww2 Dakota leather.... Sounds good. Smile

PostPosted: Fri Feb 21, 2014 1:58 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

http://forum.mflenses.com/yashica-fx-d-tidying-up-t57537.html

This is the FX-D I've re covered, the other one is all black.

PostPosted: Fri Feb 21, 2014 3:08 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

iangreenhalgh1 wrote:
Nice work Phil, I like it....

Thanks Ian.

My daughter nicked it yesterday along with a film. I know what'll happen now... "dad can you develop the film for me?" another £6 at ASDA. Rolling Eyes

Lloydy wrote:
I've just slapped the bag on the scanner and printed it full size, cut a couple of bits for the front and stuck them on the camera with tape. It doesn't look bad at all, but I want to try it with the pattern the other way. Pic's tomorrow. Wink

Nice idea, I hadn't thought of that. I have created my own skins on the PC and printed onto canvas but the bloody stuff frays like hell when you cut it.

PostPosted: Fri Feb 21, 2014 4:35 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Get a decent rotary cutter Phil, and a cutting mat, and the fraying problems will be over. I find cutting leathercloth with a craft knife, no matter how sharp, drags on the fabric, especially when trying to cut a curve- which is where I use a chisel ended craft blade and push it through in a series of tiny cuts. It doesn't drag and is way more accurate.

PostPosted: Fri Feb 21, 2014 5:40 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

The mock up, cut out from a print on photo paper and stuck on with tape and Blutac.

It's very tempting, but the brown doesn't really go with the black. I think I need bright red, and obviously some endangered species. Wink

PostPosted: Fri Feb 21, 2014 5:58 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Not too bad, a little conservative compared to my effort!

Nice to see another use for Blu-tak.

PostPosted: Fri Feb 21, 2014 8:08 pm    Post subject: Re: Re covering an Olympus Trip Reply with quote

philslizzy wrote:
I have a number of Trips, acquired in boxes of junk cameras or from boot sales. I have thought it would be nice to dress one up in some real funky leather.

Aztec Camera? Razz

PostPosted: Fri Feb 21, 2014 8:55 pm    Post subject: Re: Re covering an Olympus Trip Reply with quote

Farside wrote:
Aztec Camera? Razz

Brilliant, I must have been in Dreamland not to think of that.