Home

Please support mflenses.com if you need any graphic related work order it from us, click on above banner to order!

SearchSearch MemberlistMemberlist RegisterRegister ProfileProfile Log in to check your private messagesLog in to check your private messages Log inLog in

Re Auto Topcor 58 f/1.4 vs 58 1.8 : How much better
View previous topic :: View next topic  

PostPosted: Sat May 02, 2020 5:58 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

cbass wrote:
Raxar,
Interesting. Still the bottom of that lens seems to be the same color as the body. If it isn't, then I will shut up. Ignore everything I said about that other lens.

As for Keh bargain is not ugly. Bargain you usually end up with a lens that is operationally and optically fine. Ugly is more of a rollercoaster in what you get. Still $109 for a 58 f/1.4 in ugly shape isn't cheap.

i think you didn't read the thing i said in the first place (the part in () in first line) . i did say that your case is very unlikely to even be minor variation and you are right. but in general there are some cosmetic difference.

PostPosted: Sun May 03, 2020 1:09 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Maybe I've overlooked something here but I want like to point to the fact that both versions of the Topcor 58mm lenses have different constructions, hence they are not directly comparable.

The F1.4 version is an enhanced Planar 7/5 construction with an added element at the rear end likewise to the Minolta MC 58mm/F1.2.

The F1.8 version is a modified Planar 6/5 where the rear doublet is splitted into two elements like the later Zeiss/Jena Pancolar MC 50mm/F1.8.

I don't have the F1.4 version as I have such a lens (Minolta 58/1.2) already and assume that the rendering is quite comparable, particularly the bokeh.

The F1.8 version is rather unique and I don't have any second lens with a similar construction. It's an excellent performer.

However, here are some sample pictures from the Topcor 58/1.8 lens in a relatively late version from my Sony A7R II, flowers fully open and landscape at F5.6 (clickable for better quality viewing):

#3 (a rather strange weather situation outside)

PostPosted: Sun May 10, 2020 4:38 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

I've compared the Topcor 1.8/58mm and the 1.4/58mm some years ago:

http://artaphot.ch/topcon-re/re-auto-topcor-lenses/483-re-auto-topcor-58mm-f14
http://artaphot.ch/topcon-re/re-auto-topcor-lenses/484-re-auto-topcor-58mm-f18

You will find also the 3.5/58mm Macro:
http://artaphot.ch/topcon-re/re-auto-topcor-lenses/488-re-auto-topcor-58mm-f35-macro

Both the 1.4/58mm as well as the 3.5/58mm macro certainly were good lenses at their time, but today i would consider them only if you are looking for a distinctive "vintage" look.

Stephan

PostPosted: Mon May 11, 2020 3:05 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

stevemark wrote:

http://artaphot.ch/topcon-re/re-auto-topcor-lenses/488-re-auto-topcor-58mm-f35-macro

Both the 1.4/58mm as well as the 3.5/58mm macro certainly were good lenses at their time, but today i would consider them only if you are looking for a distinctive "vintage" look.

Stephan

Thank you for the links.

I can't completely agree with you. Based on your testing criteria of shooting at infinity and looking for corner sharpness against modern ED and aspherical glass you are right they can't compete. At closer distances for portraits, street photography, flowers, etc. they can be suprisingly good. The topcor 58 f/1.8 in particular does exteremely well when compared to almost any lens in that focal range that I have.

The macro also performs very well. The biggest issue I see with the Topcor macro is the price. At the price most of these command you can get a better macro lens.

PostPosted: Mon May 11, 2020 4:56 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

stevemark wrote:

Stephan

cbass wrote:

I can't completely agree with you. Based on your testing criteria of shooting at infinity and looking for corner sharpness against modern ED and aspherical glass you are right they can't compete. At closer distances for portraits, street photography, flowers, etc. they can be suprisingly good. The topcor 58 f/1.8 in particular does exteremely well when compared to almost any lens in that focal range that I have.

The macro also performs very well. The biggest issue I see with the Topcor macro is the price. At the price most of these command you can get a better macro lens.

Agree, I wouldn't use or recommend the Topcor 58/1.8 for landscape photography. But other than that is does a very good job which is indeed remarkable for such an old lens.

PostPosted: Thu Oct 01, 2020 6:38 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

I managed to pick up a 58mm f/1.4 so I will soon be doing my own testing and posting the results.

PostPosted: Thu Oct 01, 2020 2:19 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

cbass wrote:
Damn it. I love this forum but you guys cost me too much money when it comes to old lenses. If I find the right 58 f/1.4 at the right price I will have to buy it and try it unless some mericiful person tells be the 58 f/1.8 is just as good as the 58 f/1.4 stopped down.

The last computation of the Topcor RE 1.8/58mm is sharper than the Topcor RE 1.4/58mm (at the same aperture). Tested side-by-side at infinity:

Not only is the 1.8/58mm slower, but also slightly longer (probably more like 60mm). This facilitates a proper correction of the lens.

S

PostPosted: Thu Oct 01, 2020 5:08 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

stevemark,

I appreciate the work that you do and I am familiar with your website and have already looked at it. However, for me that's not a complete test. I am looking at bokeh. I am looking at colors. I am looking at rendering that is pleasing to my eye and that last one is hard to quantify or measure but preference. I rarely use vintage lenses for infinity landscape shooting. Modern lenses with aspherical elements are better suited from my limited testing.

I am curious though. In another thread you said that you are hired to shoot landscape scenes and do it handheld so you can maximize the number of shots that you can produce. If that is your main shooting, then why are you testing older lenses? Wouldn't modern lenses with aspherical elements and stabilization provide better corner to corner performance at wider apertures?

Between the 1.4 and 1.8 I think there is a coating difference from my initial observation.

PostPosted: Thu Oct 01, 2020 5:31 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Last edited by Blazer0ne on Tue Feb 22, 2022 7:08 pm; edited 1 time in total

PostPosted: Thu Oct 01, 2020 9:15 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

cbass wrote:

I am curious though. In another thread you said that you are hired to shoot landscape scenes and do it handheld so you can maximize the number of shots that you can produce. If that is your main shooting, then why are you testing older lenses?

There's no doubt that lenses such as the Zeiss Apo-Distagon 1.4/28mm are superior to e. g. a Zeiss Distagon CY 2.8/28mm. However, there's a huge difference in weight (and cost, of ocurse): The Apo-Distagon (aka "Otus") weighs nearly as much as my lightest MF 2.8/300mm lens ... No way I could use a bunch of Otus lenses walking around either in the mountains or in a city like Rome or Firenze.

cbass wrote:

Wouldn't modern lenses with aspherical elements and stabilization provide better corner to corner performance at wider apertures?

Yes. Of course I could talk about these modern lenses. But we're in an MF (mainly vintage) lens forum here ... Wink

S

PostPosted: Fri Oct 02, 2020 6:02 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

I don't want to derail this too much, but have you managed to find a manual focus only lens that beats modern lenses with aspherical elements?

PostPosted: Fri Oct 02, 2020 7:35 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Last edited by Blazer0ne on Tue Feb 22, 2022 4:30 pm; edited 1 time in total

PostPosted: Fri Oct 02, 2020 4:48 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

cbass wrote:
I managed to pick up a 58mm f/1.4 so I will soon be doing my own testing and posting the results.

Congrats. I managed to get a copy as well a while ago. On an occasional shooting day, I found there is situation that the bokeh can be not that pleasing. Same thing happens to the Sears 55mm/1.4. Personally I think those lenses are a little bit mystified. For Topcor lenses, I do like the 35mm/2.8 and 100mm/2.8. The 35mm/2.8's 3D pop makes it stand out among vintage Japaneses lenses.

PostPosted: Fri Oct 02, 2020 5:23 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

I am thinking they may be a bit mystified myself. It may end up for sale soon especially for the price they are fetching currently. It's typical Topcor where it's sharp wide open. Here is a test shot of my typical bokeh torture test: palm leaves. I did process this picture in capture one. Basically level and shadow adjustments. This is some wild bokeh.

I wonder how the Voigtlander Nokton 58mm f/1.4 would do here. From the sample pictures I am seeing the Nokton seems to produce smoother bokeh. It's supposed to be based off this Topcor but the Topcor is a 7/5 formula while the Nokton 7/6.

In my chromatic aberration torture test it also shows a descent amount. However, I am not sure how the 58mm f/1.8 does there yet. In fairness even my modern $1000 Fuji prime will show chromatic aberrations there, but less of them.

I also wonder if the 58 f/1.8 or 58 f/1.4 will end up sharper stopped down to f/2.8 and f/4.

PostPosted: Sat Oct 03, 2020 4:06 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

PostPosted: Sat Oct 03, 2020 6:06 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Just did a close focus sharpness test. Shot a bunch of books on a book shelf. I am not going to post the pictures unless people are really interested.
This was done on a APS-C sensor: FujiFilm X-T1. Not Full Frame so take that into consideration.

I have listed the aperture and which lens performed better in which area of the image. The biggest differences were moving away from the focus point especially the corners. I also wonder if I botched the test. Somehow at f/2 the F1.4 lens was stronger on the left side but weaker on the right side. Not sure how to explain that. If anyone have any ideas, then I am willing to hear them.

Wide Open: 1.8 is sharper than the 1.4 across the image, but it's F1.4 vs F1.8 so not apples to apples.
F/2: It's split.
F/2.8: The 1.4 tens starts to take over. The focus point is pretty much a tie between the 1.4 and 1.8. However, if you move up or down the book spine from the focus point the 1.4 is much sharper. Once you move to the other books in the corners the 1.4 is the clear winner.
F/4: The 1.4 continues to win in the corners. The focus point is pretty much a tie. You are really splitting hairs at the focus point.

Wide Open.
Focus Point: 1.8
Bottom Left: 1.8
Bottom Right: 1.8
Top left: 1.8 (Almost Tie)
Top Right: 1.8
Contrast: 1.8

F/2
Focus Point: 1.8 (Slight edge)
Bottom Left: 1.4
Bottom Right: 1.8
Top left: 1.4
Top Right: 1.8
Contrast: 1.4

F/2.8
Focus Point: Tie
Focus Point top/bottom: 1.4
Bottom Left: 1.4 (easy win)
Bottom Right: Tie
Top left: 1.4 (Easy win)
Top Right: 1.4
Contrast: 1.4

F/4
Focus Point: Tie
Focus Point top/bottom: 1.4 (Very Slight)
Bottom Left: 1.4 (easy win)
Bottom Right: Tie
Top left: 1.4 (noticeable)
Top Right: Tie
Contrast: Tie

PostPosted: Sat Oct 03, 2020 5:30 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

PostPosted: Mon Oct 05, 2020 12:15 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

I did some more close focusing comparisons against a modern lens: FujiFilm XF 56mm f/1.2. Not a fair comparison as the Fuji is native to the camera and a APS-C lens and not full frame.

By f/2.8 the resolving power between the two lenses is almost identical. Perhaps, slight edge to the Fuji, but it's within the margin of error for manual focusing. Pretty surprising how similar they are considering the age difference.

Chromatic Aberrations and color fringing is pretty much identical as well. In this situation there was very little to none.

Bokeh is pretty similar but the Topcor is slightly more busy.

Wide open the Fuji wins in sharpness although it was f/1.2 vs f/1.4. The Topcor, however, does have enough resolution even wide open to produce good images. The Fuji is just sharper.

I didn't compare the lenses at f/2.

I will be going on vacation soon and will take the Topcor. I will see what it manages to produce under real world shooting conditions.

PostPosted: Tue Oct 06, 2020 3:47 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

I can see why people like this lens.

These I think were at f/2.8. Maybe even f/4. They are post processed.

The next shot is at f/8. Very close to the minimum focusing distance. Also post processed.

100% crop from that picture

PostPosted: Tue Oct 06, 2020 8:35 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Here some of my results (all full open unless mentioned):

f1.4:
https://www.flickr.com/photos/kds315/albums/72157634078368017

f1.8:
https://www.flickr.com/photos/kds315/albums/72157633060044991

PostPosted: Thu Oct 08, 2020 6:09 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Sadly, I will not be able to answer my original question. How much better is the 58mm f/1.4 compared to the cheaper 58mm f/1.8. I am not sure if the f/1.4 is worth 2x or sometimes 3x the price premium over the 58mm f/1.8. However, it's a very good lens.

My Summary:

The lens is sharp wide open. The DOF is shallow and difficult to nail. However, if you do the result is good. The bokeh can get a bit crazy wide open.

f/2: The lens is very good here. The bokeh starts to smooth out and behaves better than wide open.

f/2.8 and beyond. The lens is excellent from this point. Bokeh is often well behaved and smooth in most shooting conditions.

Colors and contrast as very good as well.

Some more pictures from the week.

@ f/4

@ f/4

@ f/8

PostPosted: Thu Oct 08, 2020 12:11 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

I think the Topcor 58/1.8 in its time was already at the top of what a lens could achieve (the later versions at least. So maybe the f/1.4 is not necessarily better, but just faster?

PostPosted: Mon Oct 12, 2020 6:06 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

The lens is ridiculously sharp.
This is stopped down to f/4.
150% crop of the original image.
Shooting portraits you'll want to leave it open wider and miss focus slightly.

PostPosted: Mon Oct 12, 2020 9:50 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Like 1 Like 1 Like 1

PostPosted: Sat Oct 24, 2020 5:32 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

This is a handheld night shot. Wide open. ISO 4000. On APS-C. Looks sharp corner to corner to my eyes. Perhaps this wouldn't be the case on full frame, but on the crop sensor it is.