Home

Please support mflenses.com if you need any graphic related work order it from us, click on above banner to order!

SearchSearch MemberlistMemberlist RegisterRegister ProfileProfile Log in to check your private messagesLog in to check your private messages Log inLog in

Rare Tomioka Cosinon 55mm f1.2
View previous topic :: View next topic  

PostPosted: Sun Feb 04, 2018 5:15 pm    Post subject: Rare Tomioka Cosinon 55mm f1.2 Reply with quote

Recently bought on ebay.de.
Breathtaking bokeh wide open and very very sharp stopped down.

PostPosted: Sun Feb 04, 2018 5:30 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Like Dog Friends Congrats

Not only bokeh, its flare are wonderful too.

PostPosted: Mon Feb 05, 2018 3:44 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

First and last are gorgeous to me. Thank you for sharing, i want to see more Smile !

PostPosted: Mon Feb 05, 2018 7:58 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Nice lens!

Like 1 Like 1

Congrats

PostPosted: Mon Feb 05, 2018 8:24 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Look like typical double gauss bokeh to me, a bit busier than some.

PostPosted: Mon Feb 05, 2018 9:56 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Very nicely done Wolan.
This lens also presents as a Revuenon and maybe even as a Porst.
I have the Revuenon in PK mount, and like it a lot.
If you do not mind me adding a few images - here are some made with the Revuenon
You are right Wolan - it is a lovely lens
Tom

PostPosted: Mon Feb 05, 2018 10:44 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

The Revuenon in PK mount is not made by Tomioka but Cosina. The lens design should be different too.

PostPosted: Mon Feb 05, 2018 4:28 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

calvin83 wrote:
The Revuenon in PK mount is not made by Tomioka but Cosina. The lens design should be different too.

+1
Cut off edge of rear element signify Tomioka optics 1.2.

PostPosted: Mon Feb 05, 2018 5:21 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

The cut off can't be used as the evidence: it is used for accommodate the aperture pin. If the mount is wider, there is no need to cut the rear element. The Canon 50/0.95 is similar to the Tomioka 55/1.2: the one for RF camera has a cut off in the rear element to accommodate the coupling part while the one for TV camera has not.

PostPosted: Mon Feb 05, 2018 9:01 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Ah - so mine is made by Cosina but not made by Tomioka - and yes the rear element on mine is curved.
I don't quite understand why Cosina asked Tomioka to make a Cosinon when Cosina could make a similar spec lens for Revuenon.
Unless the Cosinon pre-dates my lens, and Cosina did not have the expertise to make the lens at the time.
Puzzled am I
Tom

PostPosted: Mon Feb 05, 2018 9:52 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Oldhand wrote:
I don't quite understand why Cosina asked Tomioka to make a Cosinon when Cosina could make a similar spec lens for Revuenon.

You are not alone. Wink

I think there are in absence of proven facts a lot of myths around, particularly if "Tomioka" is concerned.

PostPosted: Mon Feb 05, 2018 11:16 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

After some research on different web sites I found out that indeed Cosina made a 55mm/F1.2 lens much later than Tomioka (obviously until the late 1990's) with different specifications compared to the old style. They named it "Cosinon Auto MC" and this lens was also available as "Porst Color Reflex MC Auto" and maybe also in a Revuenon branded version as well, I don't know. However, this lens was available in PK mount only whereas the old Tomioka made version was obviously available in both versions M42 and PK in many different brandings.

That would at least make sense for me.

IMHO the easiest way to differentiate is the smallest aperture which is F16 for the old Tomioka (incl. the latest Yashica ML version) and F22 for the newer Cosina lens. Filter threads seems also to be different and lens construction as well.

In fact there are old Tomioka and newer Cosina versions available both with different brandings and markings; i.e. an old Cosinon/Tomioka and a newer Cosinon/Cosina lens.
Some folks say that the newer Cosina lens is the better one. I don't know but that would also make sense for me.

PostPosted: Tue Feb 06, 2018 12:38 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

tb_a wrote:
After some research on different web sites I found out that indeed Cosina made a 55mm/F1.2 lens much later than Tomioka (obviously until the late 1990's) with different specifications compared to the old style. They named it "Cosinon Auto MC" and this lens was also available as "Porst Color Reflex MC Auto" and maybe also in a Revuenon branded version as well, I don't know. However, this lens was available in PK mount only whereas the old Tomioka made version was obviously available in both versions M42 and PK in many different brandings.

That would at least make sense for me.

IMHO the easiest way to differentiate is the smallest aperture which is F16 for the old Tomioka (incl. the latest Yashica ML version) and F22 for the newer Cosina lens. Filter threads seems also to be different and lens construction as well.

In fact there are old Tomioka and newer Cosina versions available both with different brandings and markings; i.e. an old Cosinon/Tomioka and a newer Cosinon/Cosina lens.
Some folks say that the newer Cosina lens is the better one. I don't know but that would also make sense for me.

Thank you Thomas that is very helpful.
Well I always thought that my Revuenon was made by Cosina, but mine only has a minimum aperture of f16, so perhaps I am wrong about that.
My apologies to Wolan for sidetracking the thread
Tom

PostPosted: Tue Feb 06, 2018 2:26 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Oldhand wrote:
Well I always thought that my Revuenon was made by Cosina, but mine only has a minimum aperture of f16, so perhaps I am wrong about that.

I've found these differences on various web-sites which I think is nice to know and IMHO still somehow on topic:

Tomioka made version:

Focal length: 55mm
Filter size: 58mm
Diaphragm blades: 9
Aperture range: f/1.2 to f/16
Optical formula: 7 elements in 6 groups
Closest focus: 60cm

Cosina made version:

Filter size: 55mm
Diaphragm blades: 8
Aperture range: f/1.2 to f/22
Optical formula: 6 elements in 4 groups
Closest focus: 40cm

Unfortunately there is no "official" source for that available but from the different lens pictures it seems to be plausible, at least for me. Wink

PostPosted: Tue Feb 06, 2018 2:34 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

tb_a wrote:
Oldhand wrote:

I've found also this which I think is nice to know and IMHO still somehow on topic:

Tomioka made version:

Cosina made version:

Unfortunately there is no "official" source for that available but it seems to be plausible, at least for me. Wink

Well that just makes me even more puzzled.
My Revuenon has all the characteristics of the Tomioka made lens - except I am unsure of elements and groups.
Everything else is the same

Revuenon:
Optical formula: 7 elements in 6 groups (unknown)

Tom

PostPosted: Tue Feb 06, 2018 4:25 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

My Tomioka Yashinon 1.2 has 55mm filter filter and mfd of just pass 0.5m.

PostPosted: Tue Feb 06, 2018 5:03 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

calvin83 wrote:

OK, I give up.

It remains to be a miracle and obviously nobody really knows.
There is a lot of contradictory information around. Obviously there are even 3 different versions or designs. I don't know.

At least I tried to find out. Sorry for confusion.

PostPosted: Tue Feb 06, 2018 5:12 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

All m42 copies are 0.5m/55mm filter/F16 with Tomioka marked on the name ring.

PostPosted: Tue Feb 06, 2018 5:18 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

tb_a wrote:
calvin83 wrote:

OK, I give up.

It remains to be a miracle and obviously nobody really knows.
There is a lot of contradictory information around. Obviously there are even 3 different versions or designs. I don't know.

At least I tried to find out. Sorry for confusion.

Thank you Thomas for your input.
It is a quite a task to trace the ancestry of some Japanese lenses for sure.
One day perhaps we will know, but in the meantime we just enjoy using them.
Happy snaps
Tom

PostPosted: Tue Feb 06, 2018 6:45 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Oldhand wrote:
Ah - so mine is made by Cosina but not made by Tomioka - and yes the rear element on mine is curved.
Unless the Cosinon pre-dates my lens, and Cosina did not have the expertise to make the lens at the time.
Puzzled am I
Tom

Why ? small numbers .

PostPosted: Tue Feb 06, 2018 8:34 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

tb_a wrote:

I've found these differences on various web-sites which I think is nice to know and IMHO still somehow on topic:

Tomioka made version:

Cosina made version:

Unfortunately there is no "official" source for that available but from the different lens pictures it seems to be plausible, at least for me.
Don't trust random things on the internet. A modern double-gauss fifty featuring f/1.2 aperture can't really consist of 6 elements only.

PostPosted: Tue Feb 06, 2018 10:38 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Kamlan 1.1/50. Not double gauss obviously, but a modern fifty with only five elements!

PostPosted: Wed Aug 03, 2022 2:21 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Early M42 versions are made by Tomioka have a 7/6 design 55mm filter thread and 8 aperture blades and .5m cfd. They are typically more expensive 600 tot 1000 than the later K-mount version of which there are two (in different brands)

Later K-mount made by Cosina:

- A 7/6 version 55mm with 58mm filter thread and 9 aperture blades and .6m CFD. Those are typically around 3 to 400 euro (e.g. Revuenon and Xr Rikenon)

- A 6/4 version 55mm with 55mm filterthread and 8 aperture blades and .6m CFD. Typically up to 200 euro (Porst is the most well known)

I would like to see a direct comparison of the Tomioka m42 version tot the K-mount 7/6 version. It is very likely the coatings are much more modern on the latter so it is a better lens (but in Vintage terms It may be worse because it may affect the bokeh making it less "special").

That Kamlan above is for APS-C and uses a different lens design. Not double gauss but more like a Sonnar or Ernostar portraiture design.

PostPosted: Wed Aug 03, 2022 4:16 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

blotafton wrote:
Kamlan 1.1/50. Not double gauss obviously, but a modern fifty with only five elements!

I'm confused; the lens diagram shows 6 glass elements, not 5?

PostPosted: Wed Aug 03, 2022 4:28 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Maybe they put in an ND filter Wink