Home

Please support mflenses.com if you need any graphic related work order it from us, click on above banner to order!

SearchSearch MemberlistMemberlist RegisterRegister ProfileProfile Log in to check your private messagesLog in to check your private messages Log inLog in

[Rant] What is the purpose of the Live View feature?
View previous topic :: View next topic  

PostPosted: Sat Jan 05, 2008 9:49 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Yes, I overlooked the appalling 20 shots if you were lucky battery life.... Laughing

I remember reading someone's review of the 7i and who commented that those who said that the battery life was poor were talking crap.

No, we weren't mate....

PostPosted: Sat Jan 05, 2008 10:49 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

And it got even worse in winter!

I remember one occasion on a freezing day. I brought 4 sets (!) of rather powerful AA rechargeables and I got about 15 photos - with all four sets!!

From that day on, I was looking for a solution. Actually, I found one shortly afterwards: an external Li-Ion battery pack that you could screw in the tripod thread under the cam. I never had any energy problems with my D7 again!

I have sold this device with one of my two Dimage 7 cams. (I still have one D7, mostly for nostalgic reasons, but the lens was very good, too.)

PostPosted: Sat Jan 05, 2008 11:24 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Other than the EVF and the short battery life, the only thing I found with the lens was that it barrelled quite noticeably at the 28mm end. It is an apochromat lens though.

Apart from those problems, which to be honest could be surmounted, the camera was good and I still have mine and won't sell it.

Even though it has no proper metering for manual use.... Confused

PostPosted: Sat Jan 05, 2008 11:43 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

LucisPictor wrote:
bob955i wrote:
Most of the complaints about the old Minolta DiMage 7 series were about the EVF and its jittery look when panning/moving about for example.

The worst part of my Dimage 7 was the poor battery life. Wink
But you're right! The reactions of the display were a little better in the A2, but by no means comparable to a mirror viewer.

I used the A1, which had solved the battery life issues. I must admit that I rarely used the EVF unless the level of glare from sunlight made the LCD too hard to see.

PostPosted: Sat Jan 05, 2008 11:50 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

OK here is another mirrorless live view camera. Of sorts. Its actually a sensor evaluation kit. But it gives you a 10.2 MP foveon sensor with a 1.7 FOV crop factor, a Canon EOS mount, and all images are provided over a firewire/ieee 1394 connection.

Foveon sensor evaluation kit

(Note it does both video and still images, due to the mirror not being in the way).

Price is undisclosed. More details (pdf)

PostPosted: Sat Jan 05, 2008 11:57 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Looks like a camera obscura from 17th century Laughing

PostPosted: Sun Jan 06, 2008 1:50 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Orio wrote:
Looks like a camera obscura from 17th century Laughing

Have Sigma been working on the Foveon sensor that long....? Laughing

PostPosted: Sun Jan 06, 2008 2:03 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

bob955i wrote:

Have Sigma been working on the Foveon sensor that long....? Laughing

Yep, Foveon sensor is the untold secret behind all those Dutch females painting by Vermeer Wink

PostPosted: Sun Jan 06, 2008 3:12 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

poilu wrote:
And what about hypocrisy? Every people use AF but prefer manual, every people use digital but prefer film. Every people will use lifeview and will prefer viewfinder.

That sounds like me. I use an AF P&S camera with live view all the time for my work, and as a tool for my job it's fantastically better than my old film SLR. But it doesn't match the fun of taking pictures with manual lenses in the old way, either on film or with a DSLR, just as Carsten explained. So I don't prefer one type of camera over the other - I prefer each type for what it's good at. How dare you call me a hypocrite! Evil or Very Mad

PostPosted: Sun Jan 06, 2008 4:14 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Peter wrote:
How dare you call me a hypocrite!

You are absolute right Peter, it was a mistake to use this word in this context.
English is not my languish and it is sometimes difficult for me to express myself. I was not thinking about you or anybody in this forum.