Home

Please support mflenses.com if you need any graphic related work order it from us, click on above banner to order!

SearchSearch MemberlistMemberlist RegisterRegister ProfileProfile Log in to check your private messagesLog in to check your private messages Log inLog in

Rangefinder books
View previous topic :: View next topic  

PostPosted: Sat Jan 30, 2016 9:11 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

I bought four books this week!

SEIKI / CANON Rangefinder Lens book 1939-1971

PostPosted: Sun Jan 31, 2016 8:54 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Nordentro wrote:

That one surely seems to be really interesting!

PostPosted: Sun Jan 31, 2016 1:11 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Hmm Lars, they are all not about photography but photographic equipment, sooo...

I split it off and moved it where it belongs... Wink

Interresting looking books btw.

PostPosted: Sun Jan 31, 2016 5:51 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

LucisPictor wrote:
Nordentro wrote:

That one surely seems to be really interesting!

+1

PostPosted: Sun Jan 31, 2016 10:35 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

kds315* wrote:
Hmm Lars, they are all not about photography but photographic equipment, sooo...

I split it off and moved it where it belongs... Wink

Interresting looking books btw.

Always nice to have someone clean up after me Wink
Thx guys

PostPosted: Tue Feb 02, 2016 9:22 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Any other good book tips?

PostPosted: Tue Feb 02, 2016 11:40 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

If you don't already have it, you could try Robert Rotoloni's The Complete Nikon Rangefinder System which has reached its third edition now - nicely printed with good illustrations of the various camera models and their lenses, but no photos taken with them. The text is rather "Wow! weren't these the greatest!" but it's well worth getting if you're keen on Nikon RF gear.

Similarly, if you fancy a readable blend of equipment and technique written around the Leica system, try Theo Scheerer's The Leica and the Leica system Any of the older editions of Morgan and Lester's Leica Manual are interesting in their coverage of both equipment and technique - more 'textbook-ish' than Scheerer but written from an American perspective. The pre-war editions were heavily subsidized by Leitz but they're by no mean fan-boy material.

I suppose the 'ne plus ultra' in books on the Leica sustem is the print edition of Erwin Puts' Leica Compendium - not the downloadable bits you can get for free. It's hideously expensive, riddled with typos and would have benefited from better copy-editing and proof reading, but it has a wealth of detailed information, much of which was drawn from the company's own records - I bought mine when the last revised edition came out and although I shuddered at the price it's been well worth it. The folks who seem to enjoy knocking the firm should be made to read it from cover to cover - they could learn a great deal about the vicissitudes of small-volume camera and lens manufacture

For an insight into pre-1939 miniature (= Leica) photography, try the various books by Paul Wolff which were printed in English and German - maybe in French as well. They were beautifully printed.

I've never come across matching books on the Contax system but I'm sure there must have some produced in Germany before 1939 - maybe they just don't turn up in the UK.

There was also an excellent book on the folding Retina rangefinder cameras (along with the Retinettes) - The Retina Manual by Edward Bomback published in the late 1950s which deals with both the gear and how to use it. There was a companion Rolleiflex Manual as well.

Books are our friends Wink

PostPosted: Wed Feb 03, 2016 2:50 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Great listing, thanks to scsambrook!
For Leicanians the Rogilatti Brooks about Leicas (older versions 'first 50' or 'first 60 years' are affordable to get these days, 'Leica lenses' too. Nice hardcover books with a lot of mouthwater making pictures for the not too financially equippet 'collector'.
https://www.google.de/search?q=gianni+rogliatti+leica&prmd=sinv&source=lnms&tbm=isch&sa=X&ved=0ahUKEwirk9jJy9rKAhXLiSwKHVMnDEkQ_AUICCgC

PostPosted: Wed Feb 03, 2016 1:41 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

If you're into Canon rangefinders (as I am), that Dechert book is a classic.

PostPosted: Wed Feb 03, 2016 2:00 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Awesome, many good tips here!
Thx guys, keep'em comming Wink

PostPosted: Sat Feb 06, 2016 10:14 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Nice books. I love the Periflex book. I've been looking gor one like that myself. Another one to look out for is this: Great but no Japanese lenses.

PostPosted: Mon Feb 08, 2016 4:34 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

philslizzy wrote:
Another one to look out for is this: Great but no Japanese lenses.

Thanks for pointer to this one, but Is Small's book confined to only German lenses - I note you say there are no Japanese ones but wonder if the author looks at other European or USA ones. I recall him from when I was collecting binocular information years ago as something of an expert on things Zeiss.

PostPosted: Wed Feb 10, 2016 12:27 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

He covers German, British, American, Soviet and others. Despite there being no Japanese lenses, it is a mine of information. And its not all LTM either.

Just looking at the book, the author mentions the Soviet TK-2D teleconverter, of which I have a copy. A very rare bird indeed.

PostPosted: Wed Feb 10, 2016 8:42 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Thanks for the info, Phil - now I'll see if I can find a copy !

PostPosted: Wed Feb 10, 2016 11:27 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

scsambrook wrote:
Thanks for the info, Phil - now I'll see if I can find a copy !

Had a chance to get a copy from Amazon for only 7 Euro (incl. shipping) as original packaging was missing.
It's a little book which covers almost everything except Japanese built lenses, i.e. primarily only German and Russian ones.
There is a lot of history and background-information included. At least for 7 Euro not bad. Wink