Home

Please support mflenses.com if you need any graphic related work order it from us, click on above banner to order!

SearchSearch MemberlistMemberlist RegisterRegister ProfileProfile Log in to check your private messagesLog in to check your private messages Log inLog in

Quick comparison: Tokina 12-24/4 vs Soligor 24/2.5
View previous topic :: View next topic  

PostPosted: Wed Sep 22, 2010 3:35 pm    Post subject: Quick comparison: Tokina 12-24/4 vs Soligor 24/2.5 Reply with quote

I got a Soligor 24mm f2.5 in OM mount, so I thought I'd make a casual, quick comparison between it and the Tokina 12-24 at 24mm. Nothing scientific, just a center and edge sharpness comparison of an infinity shot, with fixed wb and exposition.

The whole scene, Tokina f5.6:

The whole scene, Soligor f5.6:

100% crops, left is Tokina, right Soligor.

Center sharpness at f4:

Center sharpness at f5.6:

Center sharpness at f8:

Edge sharpness at f4:

Edge sharpness at f5.6:

Edge sharpness at f8:

Tokina is clearly better, but the little Soligor fares pretty ok for a cheap lens like that. Center performance at 5.6 is solid, wide open it's soft.

PostPosted: Wed Sep 22, 2010 5:03 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Hmmm.. we have to keep in mind that you compare a modern, well-corrected High-End lens (yes, it is, despite the name "Tokina"!) with an old secondary branch lens. I would have guessed this outcome beforehand, because I used to have the Toki 12-24 and know about its great performance!
I'd love to see a Zeiss 25mm or a Nikkor 24mm in this comparison. Wink

PostPosted: Wed Sep 22, 2010 5:35 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

LucisPictor wrote:
Hmmm.. we have to keep in mind that you compare a modern, well-corrected High-End lens (yes, it is, despite the name "Tokina"!) with an old secondary branch lens. I would have guessed this outcome beforehand, because I used to have the Toki 12-24 and know about its great performance!
I'd love to see a Zeiss 25mm or a Nikkor 24mm in this comparison. Wink

Certainly. I stumbled on that Soligor for cheap and I was just curious how it compares to an excellent lens like the Tokina. I'd like to see it compared with some of the better WAs, but so far I can only do it with the Soligor. Better then nothing. Smile

PostPosted: Wed Sep 22, 2010 7:18 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

symphonic wrote:
... Better then nothing. Smile

Of course! Don't get me wrong, I did not want to express that Soligor lenses are bad ones. I own several and like them.

PostPosted: Thu Mar 10, 2011 8:20 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Just digging this old thread up as I was after a WA in FD mount and one of these is on evilbay now.

I did a Google search and surprise surprise, a hit to this forum on the 1st page.

PostPosted: Thu Mar 10, 2011 10:37 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

I had a couple of these in the past. Think they were Sun made.

PostPosted: Fri Mar 11, 2011 6:56 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

How did you find their performance?

PostPosted: Fri Mar 11, 2011 7:56 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Average, to be honest.