Home

Please support mflenses.com if you need any graphic related work order it from us, click on above banner to order!

SearchSearch MemberlistMemberlist RegisterRegister ProfileProfile Log in to check your private messagesLog in to check your private messages Log inLog in

Question:What is the best portrait lens 70 to 85mm.
View previous topic :: View next topic  

PostPosted: Fri Apr 27, 2007 7:05 pm    Post subject: Question:What is the best portrait lens 70 to 85mm. Reply with quote

What is the best portrait lens 70 to 85mm.

- Colour rendering is important to me
- Specialy a fast one max = f2
- Bokeh should be good

pse let me know your opinion. Main use is portrait but also some available light.

135 is not an option because the cropfactor (1.5)

Guido

PostPosted: Fri Apr 27, 2007 7:12 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Nikkor 85mm f/1.8
Takumar 85mm f/1.8
Helios-40 75mm f/1.5
CZJ Biotar 75mm f/1.5
CZJ Pancolar 80mm f/1.8
Jupiter-9 85m f/2

All are great lenses witch one is the best very personal decision.

I like very much Pentacon 100mm f/2.8 and Orestegor 100mm f/2.8,
CZJ Biometar 80mm f/2.8 M42.

PostPosted: Fri Apr 27, 2007 7:19 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

It is not easy to say because the lenses have different behaviours - for instance the Jupiter-9 is very contrasted while the Helios-40 is in most circumstances a low contrast lens.

The Helios-40 can be difficult to handle because if the size-weight. Also it takes time to really master it (same as with Jupiter-9), they are not easy lenses to use.

I think that the most used portrait lens all over the world is the Nikkor 2.5/105 AI version. I have it and it's a great lens and by far the easiest to use compared to all others with regards to skin rendering. What I mean is that it's more forgiving of non perfect exposure, while many others (like Jup-9, Helios-40, and Nikkor 1.8/85) require a perfect exposure to render skin properly. You have to carefully meter on your model's skin.

I think that overall my vote would go to the Nikkor 1.8/85. A killer bokeh, shorter lenght than the 105mm, and reasonable cost - but beware, you hav eto find the pre-AI lens. The newer versions are not so good.

In any case I think that any of the lenses I mention here are excellent for portraits.

PostPosted: Fri Apr 27, 2007 7:25 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

I forgot to say Nikkor 105mm f/2.5 that is a very good lens, anyway in my opinion for portrait don't need to use the best lenses. Very sharp lenses shows every skin problem a little soft lens as many cheap one cover them.

PostPosted: Fri Apr 27, 2007 7:35 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Nikor does not fit my Pentax.

How is the handling with the Biotar.

Guido

PostPosted: Fri Apr 27, 2007 8:10 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Look an M42 mount Biotar , for portrait works in my order Biotar the last one.

PostPosted: Fri Apr 27, 2007 8:16 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

My vote goes to the Helios 40-2
- 85mm is the ideal focal length for portraits in my opinion
- I can't live without aperture preset mechanism anymore
- Widest aperture of 1.5 for the Helios is VERY thin - the result is creamy
- it's one of my russian lens, everyone expects that I am voting for this. I don't want to disappoint them. Very Happy Very Happy

Second one is Jupiter 9 and third one is ... eh ... Canon EF 50/1.8 II *ooops* No. Never. Sorry.

Michael

PostPosted: Fri Apr 27, 2007 8:20 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Oh, I forgot Tamron SP lenses in this focal length all are excellent and low cost solution.

PostPosted: Fri Apr 27, 2007 9:13 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

I heard about a zentitar 85mm 1.4

Is it good?

Guido

PostPosted: Fri Apr 27, 2007 9:18 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

I never heard this lens I don't think so that is available.

PostPosted: Fri Apr 27, 2007 9:33 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

THis is the reason I'm asking.

http://www.cetussoft.com/pentax/85compar/zk85f14.htm

Guido

PostPosted: Fri Apr 27, 2007 9:36 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Yes, you're right. Seems to be for Pentax K mount only. Here is more info:
http://www.zenitcamera.com/archive/lenses/zenitar-1-4-85.html

Michael

PostPosted: Fri Apr 27, 2007 9:45 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

One of the best thing in this forum we can learn a lot from each others. If you able to get for reasonable price take it and share the result. Zenitar lenses well know from quality.