Home

Please support mflenses.com if you need any graphic related work order it from us, click on above banner to order!

SearchSearch MemberlistMemberlist RegisterRegister ProfileProfile Log in to check your private messagesLog in to check your private messages Log inLog in

Question wich 200mm'ish walk around lens to get?
View previous topic :: View next topic  

PostPosted: Tue Sep 02, 2014 2:55 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Glancing at this thread again prompted me to look at Ken Rockwell's review of the Fuji X-T1. he clearly rates the camera, but not with non-Fuji lenses.

PostPosted: Tue Sep 02, 2014 8:49 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Was the Contax 100-300/4.5-5.6 Vario-Sonnar mentioned already? Superb optics, slightly slow, 925g, MFD 1.5m, no tripod collar (but one can use an adapter with tripod collar on mirrorless cameras), usually some zoom creep. This is my pick in this focal lenght and I just can't wait for the Sony A7S to come down in price so that I can try the lens on FF and without worrying about high ISO.

PostPosted: Fri Sep 05, 2014 11:18 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

I use Pentax-A SMC 200mm F4 for a walk-around lens. I had the M42 Takumar, but I didn't like it, prefered Pentacon over it, but even better is the SMC A version.
It is a thin lens and very light (400 g)! It's sharp, acceptable amount of CA wide open (probably correctable - but I don't do post-processing).
Highly recommended as a travel lens.

Two examples - wide open and F8 (best performance there)

PostPosted: Fri Sep 05, 2014 11:35 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

I like the 1:4/200 Takumar -- the f/5.6 is small & lightweight; the f/4 is what I kept...

I also liked the early NIKKOR-Q Auto 1:4 f=20cm Nippon Kogaku Japan non-AI -- liked it a lot! It has great color. It is not the smallest but it is very lightweight!

PostPosted: Tue Sep 09, 2014 4:53 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

I own the Canon FDn 200mm f2.8 and the Konica Hexanon 200 f4 and as a walk-around, the Konica is outstanding.
Here's a video I shot, hand held through glass using the Olympus E-M5:

https://vimeo.com/album/2972937/video/82390638

cheers, Joseph

PostPosted: Tue Sep 09, 2014 6:06 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Atlasman wrote:
I own the Canon FDn 200mm f2.8 and the Konica Hexanon 200 f4 and as a walk-around, the Konica is outstanding.

cheers, Joseph

Nice job! Seems like a good lens.

PostPosted: Tue Sep 09, 2014 7:27 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

uddhava wrote:
Atlasman wrote:

cheers, Joseph

Nice job! Seems like a good lens.

Thanks.

PostPosted: Tue Sep 09, 2014 8:27 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Thanks again for all suggestions. Contax 100 - 300mm seems to be a gem. I don't know how I feel about zooms. Just to try handling one I bought a chinon 70-150mm zoom for next to nothing.
I picked up a smal kit of Konica stuff this weekend, among them a hexanon 200/4. I've got one already, but didn't like it very much on my G5. Still the X-T1 is another camera and might work differentely with it. Generally I like hexanons very much.
I'm a bit busy right now so my planned shootout with the lenses I have will have to wait for a while.

PostPosted: Tue Sep 09, 2014 11:24 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

If small size matters to you, try the preset takumar 200mm f5.6, its excellent performer and the most compact
200mm I have ever encountered. If you don't care about bulk, then the tamron 180mm f2.5 sp ld if is superb
telephoto, fast and sharp.

PostPosted: Tue Sep 09, 2014 11:51 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Wow, this thread has gone all over the board - everything is covered.

PostPosted: Wed Sep 10, 2014 8:25 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

woodrim wrote:
Wow, this thread has gone all over the board - everything is covered.

We're brainstorming! Laughing

PostPosted: Mon Sep 15, 2014 7:46 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

How do you delete a post? i tried to edit this and all of a sudden there were two copies of the same post..

Last edited by Belcanto on Mon Sep 15, 2014 7:53 pm; edited 2 times in total

PostPosted: Mon Sep 15, 2014 7:47 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

I have never tried the fdn 200mm F2.8, still I find the 4.0 superior to my hexanon 4.0. Well at least regarding resolution. Konica always do nice colors and contrast. I'm just not that enthusiastic about my two hexanon 200's.
I think i might have read every post regarding 200mm mf lenses by now( probably not close Wink ) and boiled down to two contenders.

First the tele-tessar 200/4. It seems to trumpf my cannon fdn200 in IQ while beeing rather light weight and having a short focal length. I suppose it has internal focussing ( seems to be the reason for such short mfd. ) but the throw is longer than the cannon and that might help.

Secondly the leica 180/3.4. Heavier though not bigger. Longr mfd, so I suppose the usual helicoid,= easier to focus. With superior IQ still. One thing that attracts me ( not the price..) is that it seems to be regarded as a less contrasty lens to the zeiss. I find myself always plulling upp the shadows when pp'ing my landscape shoots, so I don't need a contrasty lens.

Having read so many other threads about 200/180mm lenses it seems I'm not alone in these matters. If we keep up this thread another 500 posts we just might reach consensus.. Smile