Home

Please support mflenses.com if you need any graphic related work order it from us, click on above banner to order!

SearchSearch MemberlistMemberlist RegisterRegister ProfileProfile Log in to check your private messagesLog in to check your private messages Log inLog in

Question about using Carl Zeiss 28mm 2.8 on 5D
View previous topic :: View next topic  

PostPosted: Mon Jan 14, 2008 10:21 pm    Post subject: Question about using Carl Zeiss 28mm 2.8 on 5D Reply with quote

The Zeiss 135mm 2.8 with a Haoda adapter works perfectly on my 5D. I just got a Zeiss 28mm 2.8 with a Haoda adapter and when I shoot, the mirror stays up. There doesn't appear to be anymore of the lens sticky past the adapter into the camera than with the 135. It happens at all focus positions, when I unscrew the adapter the mirror returns. Any ideas or solutions?

PostPosted: Mon Jan 14, 2008 10:45 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

http://www.panoramaplanet.de/comp/

PostPosted: Mon Jan 14, 2008 11:12 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Some Distagon 2.8/28s are reported to not clear the mirror. Whether this depends on copy variations between Distagons, copy variations between 5Ds (more likely), or copy variations between adapters (even more likely), it's still open discussion.
Some 5Ds are actually reported to be more "difficult" with mirror issues. Maybe your 5D is one of them. The things to do in your case are, first, try to change adapter and see if with another adapter you can make it worse. If it does not work, then, you can decide to just use the Contax lenses that are safe mirrorwise, or, if you don't want to accept limitations, grind the mirror of your 5D (or have it grounded).

-

PostPosted: Mon Jan 14, 2008 11:23 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Funny thing is, most people report that the 28mm 2.8 MM works fine on the 5d.

PostPosted: Mon Jan 14, 2008 11:33 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

jljonathan wrote:
Funny thing is, most people report that the 28mm 2.8 MM works fine on the 5d.

Mine works perfectly. I have a MM version, but in the past I also had an AR one.
Like I said, there seems to be quite a variation in the copies of the 5D for commerce.
This is one of the things where the 5D reveals it's semi-professional origin.
If it was a 1D, you can be sure you would not have such large build tolerance.
On the other hand, if there was no 5D, I would not be able to afford digital full frame, so, it's ok like that for me. I hope that the 5D mark II will not have this mirror issue.

PostPosted: Tue Jan 15, 2008 12:48 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

After measuring the 2 lenses, I found that the 28mm protrudes just slightly more at the part that is next to the aperture lever. Maybe a slight filing will solve this.

PostPosted: Tue Jan 15, 2008 10:26 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Orio,

Excuse me for the offtopic, but does the Flektogon 4/20 clear the mirror on the 5d? I know you have both. A Flek 4/20 is coming and I hope a 5D is coming too... in the future. Laughing

PostPosted: Tue Jan 15, 2008 7:14 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

After several attempts at cutting and filing, the lens now works with the 5D. It was a combination of the tab and the surround. Thanks for your advice and humor. I'm going out to shoot with it.

PostPosted: Tue Jan 15, 2008 7:42 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

@ Juanma, and in case Orio doesn't see your question:

Yes, the Flek 4/20 will clear the 5D mirror, as does the 2.8/20.

HTH

PostPosted: Tue Jan 15, 2008 8:37 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Yes, like Bob said, no problem with the Flek 20 on the 5D.

PostPosted: Wed Jan 16, 2008 10:28 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Thank you both!