Home

Please support mflenses.com if you need any graphic related work order it from us, click on above banner to order!

SearchSearch MemberlistMemberlist RegisterRegister ProfileProfile Log in to check your private messagesLog in to check your private messages Log inLog in

Quantaray 55mm f3.0 Macro
View previous topic :: View next topic  

PostPosted: Tue Aug 14, 2007 6:11 am    Post subject: Quantaray 55mm f3.0 Macro Reply with quote

I was thinking of buying some real macro lens (going 1:1, OK.. I was also considering 1:2 magnification lens too, outside Tamron zoom series)..
I was considering Vivitar, Tamron, Kiron and Nikon for around 100mm series.
In 50-55mm, I considered Vivitar, Nikon, and few other (like Takumar, Olympus etc..).
But all lenses were really expensive, still I was looking around..
Eventually, I saw the Olympus mount Quantaray 55mm f3.0 macro lens (real macro going to 1:1)placed in wrong section with one fault, missing focusing rubber grip. Not a big deal. (I have few broken lens, can use from those.. have already done once..)
Total paid amount, $22 + $7 for S&H (Total of $29)
This lens is same as Panagor macro lens.
Quantaray brand is lens line up of lenses by Ritz Camera (US photographic supply chain). Quantaray usually (you can 95%) sells the re-branded Sigma lenses.
What I have read about this lens, this is a Sigma 55mm f2.8 lens. And this lens is coming from Kiron and Vivitar line up. It really look like Vivitar 55mm f2.8 macro lens.

Its difficult to join all these dots.. but lens looks like Vivitar 55mm macro lens.

One think I liked about the lens is, focusing from 1:2 to 1:1 takes 360 degree rotation of focusing grip/ring (total 2 rotation from 1:1 to infinity.. the size of lens increases to almost 3 times the original).

I didnt get a chance to capture any macro yet...

New constructions,

Columbus, OH downtown and the Ad of insurance company at downtown,

This is a part of replica of Columbus ship, (I never able to find any relationship of Columbus with my City name except a small replica ship at river front)

To me, the lens is above average, but I need to test for macro work, the real aim/functionality of the lens. WIll update the post later with macro work.

PostPosted: Tue Aug 14, 2007 11:56 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

I can't judge the lens from such small resizes, but I can tell that you have some very nice pictures there Ballu. My favourites are the first two (leaves and café chairs/table), and the one of the Insurance ad, which is just amazing (the yellow cars at the bottom are a fantastic touch!)

PostPosted: Tue Aug 14, 2007 12:22 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Nice pics! Columbus seems to be a pretty city.

PostPosted: Tue Aug 14, 2007 3:15 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Thanks Orio.... I uploaded all the full size pictures.. These pics are resized ones as well as the links to full size on Flickr....
(I am learning flora captures from your portfolio..)

Sorry I forgot to mention that clicking on the picture will take you to the bigger size...

Thanks Carl.. yes.. Columbus is really nice to live with suburban culture. Spread to 20+ miles but one of the most green city in US... great city park system.... low crime (yes some areas are always prone to), good place to raise kids and best is no traffic jams...

PostPosted: Wed Aug 15, 2007 2:40 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

ElanR wrote:
I have the AF version Sigma 50/2.8 1:1 macro and it's excellent. I like your woman in the park shot. Great composition and colors!

Thanks...
And that woman is master of my life Laughing

PostPosted: Wed Aug 15, 2007 2:49 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Today, I took the lens to local park, Blendon Woods metro Park (http://www.metroparks.net/ParksBlendonWoods.aspx).

The park is past of Monarch ButterflyWatch program.
About Monarch Butterfly: http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Monarch_butterfly

The text from the project site,
http://www.monarchwatch.org/waystations/registry/detail.php?id=526&PHPSESSID=c7bb5ed2931e3612eaac418699605efe

"This is a major 643-acre suburban park with both old and new ornamental wildflower beds planted with butterfly/specific plants. Natural areas of the park are managed for succession fields, including many prolific milkweed patches. We raise dozens of monarch caterpillars at the Nature Center and hold the butterflies for up to a week in a public-accessible tent stocked with various nectar source plants."

Monarch Butterfly caterpillar:
You can see Monarch chrysalis in the front.

100% crop,

Other,

All captured around f9.

PostPosted: Wed Aug 15, 2007 10:22 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Colors are pretty good, why you not take an Micro-Nikkor 55mm f3.5 Non-AI lens ?

PostPosted: Thu Aug 16, 2007 5:07 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Attila wrote:
Colors are pretty good, why you not take an Micro-Nikkor 55mm f3.5 Non-AI lens ?

I am not so sure why I didnt pick Nikkor. I was following few Nikkor.. (I made up my mind for macro, so following few). But saw this lens. I read that panagor were also good macro, and Quantary/Vivitar/Paragon are using same optics, and new Sigma macro too (not that sure).
I put the max price for $22.50, just in case.. and one day got a mail from eBay.. "...won an item.."
I ahve seen this lens going for higher price. Once I got some rubber grip, will decide whether to keep or not.

PostPosted: Sun Aug 19, 2007 11:49 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

After getting some inspiration from (other thread) work, took out my Quantaray 55mm f3.0 macro (reaches 1:1).

(clicking on this will take you to original size)

I got some overexposed area with in built flash. Few things I noticed,

1) Better to use external flash. With 55-ish macro lens, going above 1:2 magnification (this one is almost 1:2), the in built flash creates the lens shade on most of the frame area.
2) Better to use diffuser.

PostPosted: Mon Aug 20, 2007 12:07 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

coool!!! Laughing Shocked

PostPosted: Mon Aug 20, 2007 12:21 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Attila wrote:
coool!!! Laughing Shocked

And felt sorry after capturing this Rolling Eyes Wink

PostPosted: Mon Aug 20, 2007 1:03 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Laughing Shocked Embarassed

PostPosted: Mon Aug 20, 2007 10:08 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Ha Ha ... they are stepping on each others eyes. Nice love technique. Great images. Smile