Home

Please support mflenses.com if you need any graphic related work order it from us, click on above banner to order!

SearchSearch MemberlistMemberlist RegisterRegister ProfileProfile Log in to check your private messagesLog in to check your private messages Log inLog in

Q on Steinheil-Auto-Quinon-Lens-55mm-f-1-9 (Exakta version)
View previous topic :: View next topic  

PostPosted: Tue Aug 07, 2018 9:05 am    Post subject: Q on Steinheil-Auto-Quinon-Lens-55mm-f-1-9 (Exakta version) Reply with quote

Hi,
I am not an Exakta lenses expert, I have just one, the Domiron. It has a lever, and when I push it blades close.
The one below seems to have a more complicated mechanism. Does this one work the same way? May I use the same adapter?

https://www.ebay.com/itm/Steinheil-Auto-Quinon-Lens-55mm-f-1-9-Exakta-714/382531166199?hash=item5910a25ff7%3Ag%3AOk0AAOSwAV5bXsDh&_sacat=0&_nkw=Steinheil+Quinon+55mm+f1.9&_from=R40&rt=nc&_trksid=m570.l1313

Thanks.

PostPosted: Tue Aug 07, 2018 10:07 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Short answer: Yes, can be used wiht a normal Exakta-adapter.

On an Exakta-camera, the "button" on the side-protrusion on the lens pushes the shutterbutton (of the camera) when depressed, and at the same time also closes the aperture. (On your Domiron, the "lever" was also supposed to push the shutter of an Exakta-camera.)

On digital, it can be used normally, but you will have to remember to press the button in order to close the aperture.

I suspect this lens also has a DOF-preview-lever on the same protrusion.

PostPosted: Sat Aug 11, 2018 9:11 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

HI

Congrats on getting this awesome lens! It's a sharp lens and very nicely finished - usually a great performer - I have one.

As Sjak explained, the lens stopped down automatically to shooting aperture when you pressed the shutter release if it was used on an Exakta body. When you use it on your digital camera, you can either stop the lens down before your take a photo with the big squarish shutter button, or you can pull out the little round silver button just below the shutter release and lock the lens in the NA (non-auto) position which will allow it act like a normal, manual aperture lens. That is it will stop down and open up as you turn the aperture ring.

Enjoy,

Paul

PostPosted: Sat Aug 11, 2018 10:32 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Thanks, I have not yet bought it, but I am thinking of it. I am shocked by the price, for less then 500-600$ this lens is no where to be found. It costs almost as much as my beloved Domiron.

I have seen a few pictures on the internet and it has a very pleasant and artistic bokeh, but I am still unsure. If you happen to have photographs please share them, I'll appreciate.

Cheers.

pdccameras wrote:
HI

Congrats on getting this awesome lens! It's a sharp lens and very nicely finished - usually a great performer - I have one.

As Sjak explained, the lens stopped down automatically to shooting aperture when you pressed the shutter release if it was used on an Exakta body. When you use it on your digital camera, you can either stop the lens down before your take a photo with the big squarish shutter button, or you can pull out the little round silver button just below the shutter release and lock the lens in the NA (non-auto) position which will allow it act like a normal, manual aperture lens. That is it will stop down and open up as you turn the aperture ring.

Enjoy,

Paul

PostPosted: Sat Aug 11, 2018 11:38 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

You can buy a macro version for $500-600. This is one of the possible deal Click here to see on Ebay.

PostPosted: Mon Aug 13, 2018 1:37 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Calvin, from what I've heard that's a great version of the lens!

Wolan, I have the M42 semi-auto version of the 55mm f/1.9 which should be optically identical to the auto version in Exacta mount. Here is are the members of the Steinheil family that I have in similar configuration. Three are in Exacta and the 55mm is in M42. The 200mm f/Tele-Quinar, (manual), the 135mm f/2.8 Auto-Quinar (auto), the 35mm f/2.8 Auto-Quinaron, and up front, the 55mm f/1.9 Quinaron. Following the lens pic, I included some quick snaps from this evening, that I made with the 55mm mounted on a Sony A7ii via M42 helical adapter. Many of these were shot wide open. I wasn't very careful in making these quick shots, and while this lens is not the absolute sharpest tool in the shed, it is not without its charms.

Best,

Paul

PostPosted: Mon Jan 13, 2020 2:15 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Am almost at the end of my curious about 50 somethings lens hunt ( maybe an R Summicron if I can find an affordable good one!).

Picked up this for a reasonable price (compared to ebay prices lol) near the end of the year. Only had one outing to date as the weekend weather has been atrocious since.

4th version I think with the green ring in exakta mount.

more on flickr

Something about Steinheil rendering I really like, very similar in character to the 135mm 2.8 VL I have and a colour signature that borders on cinematic.

PostPosted: Mon Jan 13, 2020 2:44 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

@ Paul

Your presentation of the lenses is lovely !
TFS

PostPosted: Tue Jan 14, 2020 12:37 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Thanks, MIR!

In addition to being excellent picture takers, these lenses are incredibly photogenic.

Nice shots Macca - the 50mm f/1.9 is capable of first rate results!

Best,

Paul

PostPosted: Tue Jan 14, 2020 2:20 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

There is a beautiful warmth in the character of this lens.
Congratulations
Tom

PostPosted: Wed Jan 15, 2020 4:15 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Sometime last year, the Quinon caught my attention. After looking at eBay sales, I pretty much thought it would be out of reach to my modest spending. In November, I found a sale that didn't show the lens very well but I took a chance. To my delight, it is a near mint copy and came with an Exakta camera and another lens, all looking unused. The Quinon impressed me most with its sharpness, even at f/1.9.

PostPosted: Wed Jan 15, 2020 7:10 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Very nice indeed! They are very popular for good reason. I have yet to acquire a 50mm 1.9 but I do have a 35mm, the 135mm and the 200mm. I also have a quinar 85mm which is really a good lens.