Home

Please support mflenses.com if you need any graphic related work order it from us, click on above banner to order!

SearchSearch MemberlistMemberlist RegisterRegister ProfileProfile Log in to check your private messagesLog in to check your private messages Log inLog in

Promura 200/3.5 m42 who made and worth fixing?
View previous topic :: View next topic  

PostPosted: Wed May 15, 2019 1:56 pm    Post subject: Promura 200/3.5 m42 who made and worth fixing? Reply with quote

Got this for almost free, but has some issues: is it worth tinkering?

PostPosted: Wed May 15, 2019 2:39 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Depends what is "some issues?" Smile

PostPosted: Wed May 15, 2019 3:13 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

why not?

PostPosted: Thu May 16, 2019 6:41 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

visualopsins wrote:
Depends what is "some issues?" Smile

aperture mechanism not working right, just mechanical, opens from rear so not a big repair

does the distance scale markings ring any bells, I know these have been discussed here but bit hard do find, not Tokina diamond and not Sankor italic numbers (got me a Sankor made Unitor 135/2.8 with the same deal too)

edit: Kobori is diamond? Tokina the dropping ball, hard to look older threads because of missing pictures

PostPosted: Thu May 16, 2019 7:19 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

EDIT: Forget this post. On closer inspection, the dof scale on the Palinar is very similar, but not identical.

Have a look at Tokyo Optical Equipment Manufacturing, during their Tokyo Koki period.

I recently acquired a T mount pre-set Palinar 135/3.5 with the same dof markings and colour choices as yours. I've read of it being referred to as Tokyo Koki, but I've never looked into it.

I don't want to send you off on a red herring, but Palinar was simply a name conjured up by Charles Strasser of Photopia to enable importation and sale of Japanese lenses through his UK network. Like Ponder and Best did with Vivitar (Tokina) in the US for example. Perhaps Promura is the same, perhaps not.

Last edited by Sciolist on Thu May 16, 2019 9:20 am; edited 4 times in total

PostPosted: Thu May 16, 2019 7:28 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

I have this exact same lens at home in my lens cabinet. Although I think mine is nikon mount.
I will have to dig it out and see if I can give you any comparisons.

PostPosted: Thu May 16, 2019 8:12 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

It looks like a Tokina. http://allphotolenses.com/lenses/item/c_945.html#prettyPhoto

PostPosted: Thu May 16, 2019 9:12 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Could be the named Tokina 200mm 3.5
If so the optical quality is not so good. You need at least to go down to F5.6 to get sharpness.

PostPosted: Thu May 16, 2019 9:15 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

From what I can see of it, it looks like a Komine-made Vivitar I own. The ribbed metal focusing collar is what reminds me of it.

PostPosted: Thu May 16, 2019 11:07 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

dbuergi wrote:
Could be the named Tokina 200mm 3.5
If so the optical quality is not so good. You need at least to go down to F5.6 to get sharpness.

There are at least three different versions of that lens. For the oldest one with tripod collar that would be correct. Don't know about the other ones. I have an older copy with eight aperture blades and tripod mount. This one has six blades.

PostPosted: Fri May 17, 2019 4:34 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

cooltouch wrote:
From what I can see of it, it looks like a Komine-made Vivitar I own. The ribbed metal focusing collar is what reminds me of it.

I could actually post better pictures, these were with my computer camera. Smile

PostPosted: Fri May 17, 2019 10:58 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

I fixed it, nice to use with Fujica st605n , don't know about iq yet because didn't develop the film yet.