Home

Please support mflenses.com if you need any graphic related work order it from us, click on above banner to order!

SearchSearch MemberlistMemberlist RegisterRegister ProfileProfile Log in to check your private messagesLog in to check your private messages Log inLog in

Production resumed Helios 40-2, Zenitar, TeleZenitar
View previous topic :: View next topic  

PostPosted: Tue Oct 09, 2012 3:16 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Let's face it, this is not speculating on bread for the starving. Most people on this board have about 10x the number of lenses anyone can possibly need. There are thousands of quality lenses that can be had for very reasonable prices. To me the quoted $600 for the Helios is laughable, for 200 Euros, yeah, I am interested. However, if there are people that are ready to buy at $600, then the asking price is correct.

PostPosted: Tue Oct 09, 2012 4:45 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

No way in hell I'm going to pay 100% markup. I can wait.

PostPosted: Tue Oct 09, 2012 7:23 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

fermy wrote:
Let's face it, this is not speculating on bread for the starving. Most people on this board have about 10x the number of lenses anyone can possibly need. There are thousands of quality lenses that can be had for very reasonable prices. To me the quoted $600 for the Helios is laughable, for 200 Euros, yeah, I am interested. However, if there are people that are ready to buy at $600, then the asking price is correct.

..and anyway the lens is probably better than most photographers Wink

PostPosted: Tue Oct 09, 2012 7:30 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Excalibur wrote:
fermy wrote:

..and anyway the lens is probably better than most photographers Wink

True. But I feel more confident with gears Very Happy

$600 is way to high for my budget for this lens.

PostPosted: Tue Oct 09, 2012 7:54 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

fermy wrote:

Sure, the price is *always* right as long as there are buyers. On Ebay, they're still going for $750-$800 Smile

BUT, the main points about this news are that (1) KMZ is producing these lenses again, and (2) they're setting the price a much more decent price point in comparison to the inflated Ebay "going" rate.

If there are people out there who are going to the factory and buying up all the stock to keep the flow of the new batches less than a trickle so that they can continue to resell these at the current inflated prices, then that really defies the reasons why people like me are excited about this new.

Hell, I paid $500 for a moderately beat up 40-2 several months ago (after having stupidly sold a near perfect sample at $350 or thereabouts a few years prior), I'd probaby pay $600 for a LNIB copy. HOWEVER, as I understand that doing so would be feeding and encouraging this kind of act, so I wouldn't purchase it, if only on principle.

PostPosted: Tue Oct 09, 2012 9:22 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

About 600$ - guys, you could offer cost that you like in private messages.

This is a cost for first months because it's really really hard to buy lenses right now. When enough lenses will be produced - the price will drop and I'll write you a message about it. I just need to know how much people want to have that lens in collection.

PostPosted: Tue Oct 09, 2012 10:50 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

are there any reviews out yet?

I'm interested in knowing if there are newer coatings, good build quality, etc.

PostPosted: Tue Oct 09, 2012 12:49 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

I am getting one, as I found a distant friend who works close to the shop and can buy one for me when they are available (argh if I came up with this a bit quicker I would have got the discount as well...)
But it will take some time till I can get them.

PostPosted: Tue Oct 09, 2012 3:21 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

I think all posts by fresh members should be blocked in this topic Wink. The thing is already strange enough.

PostPosted: Tue Oct 09, 2012 3:48 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

This lens looks cool, but for me a part of the appeal of these soviet lenses is not only they are good, but also there is no more soviet union, so there would never be any more true soviet era lenses. Might be a bit silly but that's my opinion.

I'd pay 400-500 for an old one in great shape, but most I'd pay for modern one would be $350. I bet soon they will manufacture a bunch of them and they will be readily available like the zenitars and mirs they currently produce.

PostPosted: Tue Oct 09, 2012 6:08 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Yes, it might be a little risky to get one without knowing how similar it is to the older versions, but at least I don't have to worry about dust just yet.

And it is autumn and from what I saw it seems like a really good "autumn portrait lens" so I hope to get it working soon. It will be my first manual lens and from what I gathered it is not so easy to handle so it's going to be a real challenge Smile

PostPosted: Tue Oct 09, 2012 6:58 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

fermy wrote:

+1 I had/have all version in past and present not worth at all for 600 USD.

PostPosted: Tue Oct 09, 2012 6:59 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

zenit55 wrote:
This lens looks cool, but for me a part of the appeal of these soviet lenses is not only they are good, but also there is no more soviet union, so there would never be any more true soviet era lenses. Might be a bit silly but that's my opinion.

I'd pay 400-500 for an old one in great shape, but most I'd pay for modern one would be $350. I bet soon they will manufacture a bunch of them and they will be readily available like the zenitars and mirs they currently produce.

+1 I respect also those what are part if history and not actual product.

PostPosted: Wed Oct 10, 2012 2:05 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Brand new Helios-40-2:

Price(see sales slip at right) is 8041rub., about $260

PostPosted: Wed Oct 10, 2012 5:54 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Pinkerator wrote:

This is a cost for first months because it's really really hard to buy lenses right now. When enough lenses will be produced - the price will drop and I'll write you a message about it. I just need to know how much people want to have that lens in collection.

The only problem with your reasoning is that it might be really hard to buy it, but its still only costing you $260 from the store. Just because you can't buy 20 at a time doesn't make it more expensive for you.

A lot of us are interested in this lens, as are many others around the internet, and we would be more than willing to pay a fair price for it.

PostPosted: Wed Oct 10, 2012 6:17 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

This is amazing.. always lusted for the 40-2.. Wink hope they increase production (and don't increase the price) and make it available world wide..

PostPosted: Wed Oct 10, 2012 7:43 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

nukemall wrote:
Brand new Helios-40-2:
Price(see sales slip at right) is 8041rub., about $260

Thanks for the confirmation.

PostPosted: Wed Oct 10, 2012 7:48 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Sirrith wrote:
Pinkerator wrote:

The only problem with your reasoning is that it might be really hard to buy it, but its still only costing you $260 from the store. Just because you can't buy 20 at a time doesn't make it more expensive for you.

A lot of us are interested in this lens, as are many others around the internet, and we would be more than willing to pay a fair price for it.

Right now only way to buy it is to wake up in the morning and go to another city where the only shop of 'Zenit' is. There may be a couple of lenses today, or may not. Anyway they sell only one lens for one person.

You right, it doesn't make lens more expensive, but...

PostPosted: Wed Oct 10, 2012 11:12 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Must be a unequally Russian way of doing business Smile There may be one lens, may not be. depends if we feel like making them that's what :p

That I actually dig Razz

Stick it to the capitalist pig.. wait...

er.

I'm gonna have another beer.

PostPosted: Wed Oct 10, 2012 3:21 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

They are obviously trying to copy apple with their fanboy camps outside the store before the iPhone releases!!

PostPosted: Wed Oct 10, 2012 4:44 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Hooray! It exists and I got it!
Bought from the "seller" with a decent margin.
But I really wanted to see "what it is."

In this post, only the appearance and packaging. On a separate piece of paper in the photo it says "Warning!
Appearance may not match a showing in the manual. "

Also in the manual there is mention of the "MC" version and not the "MC".

Pay attention to the cover, it amber and blue. But the blue layer as uneven. (see close-up photo with numbers).

Rear lens glare just amber.
Front cover - steel.
Rear - plastic.
The lens is made october 3d.

It's funny that the lens is equipped with color filters Smile It's better to put the hood instead Smile

A little later, take test photos and a comparison with the old silver version.

PostPosted: Wed Oct 10, 2012 4:50 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

YES, PLEASE compare photos from the old "silver" 40 as well.
I'd LOVE to see the differences.

PostPosted: Wed Oct 10, 2012 4:51 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Thanks for sharing.
Why is the coating is uneven as seen in the blue reflection?
Is it normal? Never seen an uneven coating before.

PostPosted: Wed Oct 10, 2012 4:55 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

hoanpham wrote:
Thanks for sharing.
Why is the coating is uneven as seen in the blue reflection?
Is it normal? Never seen an uneven coating before.

At the macro picture, covering structure looks more like fur Smile
I've seen it only in silver old lens from the 60s.

PostPosted: Wed Oct 10, 2012 5:02 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

I see some painting defects (and possible retouches) on both the bottom and the filter ring.
Don't want to sound negative, but is it possible that it's simply an old lens refurbished?

I would like to read at least a company's communication on the whereabouts of the resuming of the production.