Home

Please support mflenses.com if you need any graphic related work order it from us, click on above banner to order!

SearchSearch MemberlistMemberlist RegisterRegister ProfileProfile Log in to check your private messagesLog in to check your private messages Log inLog in

Production resumed Helios 40-2, Zenitar, TeleZenitar
View previous topic :: View next topic  

PostPosted: Wed Nov 21, 2012 3:43 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Pancolart wrote:
Now, these are really good! Where were they shot?

On vacation in Thailand Smile

PostPosted: Fri Jan 04, 2013 1:13 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

New Helios 40-2 from www.kievcamera.net
499 delivered
price in usd
shipping from Atlanta USA

PostPosted: Fri Jan 04, 2013 2:01 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Why label them in Cyrillic? I doubt potential customers are home based.

Last edited by Pancolart on Wed Jan 08, 2014 9:44 am; edited 1 time in total

PostPosted: Sat Jan 05, 2013 2:57 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

kievcamera.net wrote:
New Helios 40-2 from www.kievcamera.net
499 delivered
price in usd
shipping from Atlanta USA

Excellent. $499 stateside is a good sign. Just have to wait a while longer for the price to drop to $400 ish and it will start becoming attractive. I've managed this far without the helios, I think I can wait. Smile

PostPosted: Mon Jan 21, 2013 11:10 pm    Post subject: finally got one too.... Reply with quote

I was about to order from kiev.net but the 53 USD for shipping plus possible
import taxes & customs declaration costs made me look again around ebay for
other options. I found an early 70's black export version which belonged to the
late spanish city photographer/comic artist Francisco Hidalgo (his name was engraved
on the barrel where normallly the tripod collar is located).
If its it true that the serial's first 2 digits indicate the year of manufactering, this one is from 1970.
While it is black, it is marked as Helios 40 only. It misses the tripod collar and has M42 mount.

I am looking forward doing a beachshoot with it next month.

PostPosted: Fri Feb 22, 2013 8:13 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Now at last I made a site regarded to the Zenitar 50mm f/1.2 prototype I saw on the Photokina 2012.
After I read that Samyang plans to build a 50/1.2 lens in 2014 I hope much more that KMZ Zenit start production of this lens - seems much better from mechanical quality. And likely without aspherical elements - no onion bokeh.

PostPosted: Fri Feb 22, 2013 10:41 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

ZoneV, that's awesome news! That shot looks so promising. Wondering what kind of OOF area painting character that 50/1.2 has.

PostPosted: Fri Feb 22, 2013 11:20 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Awesome news indeed, I wonder why noone reported on this Rolling Eyes , it's not like new f1.2 lens is introduced every month.

IQ seems not so great though, glow and CA up the wazoo, on par with Minolta perhaps, but Minolta is 40-50 year old technology and its greatest claim for fame is bokeh, not sharpness, resolution and lack of aberrations.

What's up with vignette? It looks like it does not cover FF. Which mount was it btw?

PostPosted: Sat Feb 23, 2013 6:49 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Metalluga thanks for sharing, just saw the topic. That's great news! I can't wait to see export to Bulgaria (we are really close related Smile ). I love all the Russian lenses IQ and massive metallic feel.

PostPosted: Sat Feb 23, 2013 7:50 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

I wonder too, that no other wrote about it.
Probably because this lens was not on front of the booth where the Helios 40-2 and the Apo Telezenitar were, but behind. I think that cabinet was even behind their desk.
In real life I work for a machine vision camera manufacturer company. And I was a bit interested whether KMZ Zenit probably has some products work my work. So I took a closer look in this cabinet with as far as I remember single lens elements and such and some other lenses - I think the old 16mm f/2.8 fish eye was there too. And this fast looking lens. So I asked.

From the single direct comparison between several fast modern lenses and Minolta Rokkor 58/1.2 I know, I think the sharpness of the Rokkor is better than that of EF 50/1.0L, worse than EF 50/1.2L in most cases. Big bokeh because of longer focal length, but much more important for me no danger of onion rings:
http://www.fredmiranda.com/forum/topic/996387
Do you have more comparisons?

I covers 24x36, but with this heavy vignetting - the comparison image with the Rokkor was most likley with my special made hood that adds vignetting to my Rokkor. So Rokkor would normaly be much better.

That lens prototype was with native EF mount.

The IQ of the Rokkor 58 is good enough for me - this is probably the price I have to pay to have a small affordable lens without aspherical elements. But the Canon FD 50/1.2L would still be tempting - but not as a substitute, only additional. The FD 85/1.2L I have feels too clean, too perfect in its IQ.