Home

Please support mflenses.com if you need any graphic related work order it from us, click on above banner to order!

SearchSearch MemberlistMemberlist RegisterRegister ProfileProfile Log in to check your private messagesLog in to check your private messages Log inLog in

Problems with Pancolar 50mm 1.8
View previous topic :: View next topic  

PostPosted: Tue Oct 26, 2010 7:34 am    Post subject: Problems with Pancolar 50mm 1.8 Reply with quote

Hi,

I recently bought an nice piece of lens which I was so happy about.
The problem that I have with it is that it is quite soft wide open, and from what I have read on
this forum it should not be, yesterday I compared it with some of my helios lenses at f2 widest aperture of helioses
I have and was surprised to see that it is actually softer than any of them.

The glass is clean no scratches no fungus no dust nothing, I even tried reversing the back
element of the lens to see if it was maybe misplaced, but it is even softer and I think it was never moved before I did,
or maybe there is something wrong with using it on 500D.

As soon as I can I will post some photos to get your opinion.

Thanks.

PostPosted: Tue Oct 26, 2010 9:04 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

It could be a loose lens inside. Can you hear any rattles when you shake it? This is quite common in my experience, when a ring has worked loose and just needs tightening.

PostPosted: Tue Oct 26, 2010 8:34 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

I finally got some pictures after playing some more with the lenses,
I tightened very well the lenses and the two assemblies into the body
and got some better pictures at last, but still confused about the cause of all troubles,
because in the beginning the lenses were also well screwed into place.

I am still not convinced about the performances but I will take it for a shooting session in the park and test it out.
Test done at f1.8 and closest focusing distance 0.35m marked on the lens

Here is the final result

100% crop on focus area

And a picture with the lens

PostPosted: Tue Oct 26, 2010 9:27 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

sadness wrote:
in the beginning the lenses were also well screwed into place.

In that case I'm fairly sure one of the lenses is slightly de-centred. This is critical for sharp pictures. It can happen if a ring is slightly loose and the lens takes a knock. The ring seems tight again but this is because the glass element has moved, wedging itself under the ring. It looks like the filter ring has taken a little knock...

PostPosted: Wed Oct 27, 2010 7:25 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

peterqd wrote:
It looks like the filter ring has taken a little knock...

I bought it like this, I tried to bend it back but did't succeed and I don't want to scratch it,
so it must have had a rough time. After taking all lens elements out then putting them back
together it seems to perform better.

Now just some small dust particles are bothering me, but the overall performance is way better.
Many thanks for your advices.