Home

Please support mflenses.com if you need any graphic related work order it from us, click on above banner to order!

SearchSearch MemberlistMemberlist RegisterRegister ProfileProfile Log in to check your private messagesLog in to check your private messages Log inLog in

Problems with Ebay sellers - a UK perspective
View previous topic :: View next topic  

PostPosted: Wed Apr 08, 2009 11:03 pm    Post subject: Problems with Ebay sellers - a UK perspective Reply with quote

It seems clear from correspondence that some buyers have had serious unresolved difficulties with some Ebay sellers. I've only ever had one problem in almost ten years, but clearly others have been much less fortunate and overseas buyers in particular seem to lack effective redress. I offer a little "food for thought" ...

Any dis-satisfied UK buyers may like to remember that some traders on Ebay regularly trade from private houses which are not registered as business premises and therefore are not paying business rates (local property taxes, for the benefit of those unfamiliar with the UK). This is, of course, very naughty. It is also a breach of local planning regulations, which is just as naughty.

Some very bad people carry on businesses which have annual turnovers higher than the threshold for Value Added Tax (= Sales Tax), which is naughtier still. And the naughtiest people of all are almost certainly not declaring their full income to HM Revenue & Customs (= IRS), which is very serious indeed. HM R & C and local authorities will chase tax-evaders with great enthusiasm until they get whatever they calculate is due.

Now, Ebay might not care two hoots and a holler about what its "Power Sellers" get up to, and UK Trading Standards Offices might be overworked and not too bothered, but non-payment of rates and taxes is a very different thing altogether. Anyone in Britain who has had problems with large volume UK Ebay traders might possibly want to spend a little time asking some elementary questions - or even just sending trading details to the vendor's local town hall and tax office (whose addresses are easily obtained via the Internet).

Most Ebay vendors are doubtless as honest as the day is long, but the ones who have little or no regard for honesty seem to find it easy to avoid being brought to book by Ebay itself. Those who have had difficulties might care to remember that "there's more than one way to skin a cat". (Actually, I like cats and that's a really awful thing to say.)

If foreign buyers have had unresolved problems, then I suggest they might want to enlist the aid of a friend here in the UK to help with these sorts of enquiries ...

PostPosted: Wed Apr 08, 2009 11:09 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Look out ROCKY Laughing Laughing Laughing

PostPosted: Thu Apr 09, 2009 12:05 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Local authorities usually don't care very much if a small trader below a certain threshold is operating from home and not causing any incovenience, especially a postal business - the regulations, such as they are, were to deter idiots setting up vehicle repair workshops and sprayshops in their gardens, for example.

UK tax authorities have been casting a jaundiced eye on ebay traders for the past couple of years and I wouldn't be surprised if Rocky has been earmarked for a going over.
VAT is the stinker - I'd bet his turnover exceeds the compulsory threshold, yet I don't recall any mention of VAT on his listings (I might be wrong about that). VAT evasion is jumped upon from a great height if they become aware of it, and their most common source of information is disgruntled punters. What a surprise, eh? Smile

PostPosted: Thu Apr 09, 2009 4:46 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

I love it. Has anyone ratted rocky yet? I would be prepared to do it Twisted Evil Twisted Evil Twisted Evil

patrickh

PostPosted: Thu Apr 09, 2009 5:20 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

I'd guess eBay has to be the number one way to "launder" money too. You know, buy expensive lens with stolen money, hand lens to another person who then sells it. Voila, clean money.

PostPosted: Thu Apr 09, 2009 6:23 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

I'm aware of the old adage "great minds think alike" - I was actually in the process of typing up something similar when I read Scsambrook's piece...

Unless he's provided a VAT exemption certificate when setting up his multiple online businesses, our dear friend Rocky is already paying VAT at source (according to The Bay).

But I'm quite sure that there's something that can be done, and will spend some time today researching the various authorities in the United Kingdom to whom one may refer cases of theft and fraud Wink

PostPosted: Thu Apr 09, 2009 8:18 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Vat is the way to go, I remember an RUC officer friend of mine telling me that the powers they had were truly frightening, and if revenge was ever needed use them Twisted Evil Twisted Evil

PostPosted: Thu Apr 09, 2009 11:58 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Poolhall wrote:
the powers they had were truly frightening, and if revenge was ever needed use them Twisted Evil Twisted Evil

Indeed - Revenue and Customs officials have savage powers in most countries, more than people would imagine...