Home

Please support mflenses.com if you need any graphic related work order it from us, click on above banner to order!

SearchSearch MemberlistMemberlist RegisterRegister ProfileProfile Log in to check your private messagesLog in to check your private messages Log inLog in

Problem loading films two spirals
View previous topic :: View next topic  

PostPosted: Thu Jan 29, 2015 3:50 pm    Post subject: Problem loading films two spirals Reply with quote

Hi all,
I have so far developed around 9 films.
I had to buy a new developing tank with two reels
https://www.amazon.de/gp/product/B003PX4ZFU/ref=oh_aui_detailpage_o03_s00?ie=UTF8&psc=1

just to make sure that I did not have old quality reels.

With the new sets is almost quite easy to load a film but

-still sometimes film can get a bit jammy when I am trying to feed it in. I had to touch the film surface Sad for pushing it more inside

-There are times after loading the biggest part that the film does not get more into the reels. I had to force it but I have almost failed it completely. So a small part of the film was never loaded to the reel and I just put it like that to the tank

-I also had problem taking the film out once it was developed.

That means that unfortunately I had the film being torn apart two or three times out of my 8 film rolls I have developed.

Can someone help me fine tune this procedure?

Regards
Alex

PostPosted: Thu Jan 29, 2015 11:17 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

The most important thing is the reel must be absolutely dry....other than that it is just practice. On my reels I used to use a hair dryer but once cooked the plastic as it melted. Rolling Eyes

PostPosted: Thu Jan 29, 2015 11:50 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

A 'tail' of about 20cm not in the reel is OK, I've never had a problem with it. Even if the film is against the side of the tank it will still get developed.

Dryness is essential. Dry your reels on a radiator or somewhere warm for at least 24 hours before packing away the tank.

The tank I sent you has universal reels, I just open the reels and the film comes out easily.

PostPosted: Fri Jan 30, 2015 8:28 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

I did not know that all the film does not fit always in the reels..... Btw why there is a tail in the film?? Should not fit all normally in?

Thanks so I did the following two mistakes
1. I did not allow 24 hous the reels to dry as I wanted to develop multiple films with my developer. My developer dd-x says that for multiple developments I should not keep my liquid for more than 24 hours... and thus I had to one reel after reel

2. I did not I can open the reels Sad I was just pulling the film out Sad Sad

Regards
Alex

PostPosted: Sat Feb 21, 2015 3:32 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

I just received some used adjustable 'rachet' style reels, they were pretty dirty. Using dishwashing soap, I cleaned them with a soft toothbrush. The results were so good, I have cleaned all my plastic and stainless reels. What a difference!

Phil

PostPosted: Mon Mar 02, 2015 8:36 pm    Post subject: reels Reply with quote

it is so long since I last developed film that my experience is probably long outdated.

I found the plastic "Paterson" type wheels very finicky, not only when slightly moist, but also when the channels got worn. 20cm outside sounds like congestion inside.

My solution was to switch to stainless "Kindermann" type wheels. Different method of loading, but very reliable once one mastered the film "bending" technique.

I very rarely did reversal processing, so worries about shadowing were irrelevant.

p.