Home

Please support mflenses.com if you need any graphic related work order it from us, click on above banner to order!

SearchSearch MemberlistMemberlist RegisterRegister ProfileProfile Log in to check your private messagesLog in to check your private messages Log inLog in

pro tessar carl zeiss 4/80
View previous topic :: View next topic  

PostPosted: Sat Aug 22, 2015 10:07 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

hey Dan you are right this canon ex 50mm. I would say they are running very close to the pro tessar . I cant wait until I get this altogether to see how they compare. the 50mm did a good job

PostPosted: Sun Aug 23, 2015 12:06 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Pretty damn sharp eh?

PostPosted: Sun Aug 23, 2015 12:32 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

yes kryss they are. I just jammed the 50 mm canon lens against the sansung and took the image. I am going to build adapters. so I can mount these lenses. the Nikon I wont be able to get infinity focus with the rolleiflex lens. that's ok that's not what I am looking for. but I will get another camera later so I can get them to focus at infinity. because I would like to compare these two sets of lens. I am how ever going to mount them on a bellows. to see what they will do. I have enlarger lens and they do a great job on coins. I am hoping thou that these show a better depth of field. I would like to see some pics of yours when you get them going. have a great one

PostPosted: Sun Aug 23, 2015 12:42 am    Post subject: Dodge challenger 2015 Reply with quote

PostPosted: Sun Aug 23, 2015 3:11 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Rockycarter.....If you have seen some of my posts you will have noticed I shoot mainly Macro flora these days.After 50+years in the business I have accumulated far too many cameras(close to a hundred) and 3x as many lenses and when mirrorless cameras came on the scene I thought they were a joke until a colleague showed me results from his Olympus epl 1 so I went and bought one and then bought an epl2 which I never use(less than 300 actuations).Now I mainly use my Sony a6000 or a7ii and can't remember the last time I used my DSLR's.I would highly recommend the Olympus for your macro coin shots with enlarger lenses or 50mm macro lens and you may want to invest in Macro ring light and possibly a copy stand.Regards

PostPosted: Sun Aug 23, 2015 8:09 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

kryss wrote:
I would highly recommend the Olympus for your macro coin shots with enlarger lenses or 50mm macro lens and you may want to invest in Macro ring light and possibly a copy stand.

+1. For the task to shoot all the coins I would also see the need for a special macro or ring flash or light and a copy stand (or at least a stable tripod with horizontal arm) as the most important factor in order to get good and consistent results. I'm only 40+ years in photography and therefore compared to kryss still a greenhorn but that I know for sure. Wink
The sensor size is the least important factor for coins, however the smaller sensor size would be rather beneficial over a FF one, as the depth of field is better on smaller sensors.
Therefore any mirrorless camera, be it MFT/M43 (like Olympus/Panasonic) or APS-C (like e.g. Sony or Fuji) would do the job most probably very good or maybe better than the A7 series, which still is the only mirrorless camera in the FF league. Also the viewfinder or screen should be flexible enough to ease the operation, preferable a tilting one with good magnification possibilities or even focus aids. For comfort reasons I would also include a cable or remote release as the waiting for the self-timer may be boring....
Nearly any macro or enlarger lens will do the job more than sufficiently. There is no need to spend much on that. Even a decent "normal" lens with extension rings should be more than OK as you won't require higher magnifications than max. 1:1 for coins.

Just to show you a very primitive example. A rather old picture shot with a bridge camera more than 10 years ago. Minolta D7i 5MP/small sensor at 200mm FOV equivalence using Minolta close-up lens no.2 and macro ring flash. Shot freehand. Cropped and downsized for demonstration. It should only illustrate that the light is more important than the lens or the sensor size (original size of the coin: 25 mm diameter):

Just my 2 Cents, or Euros in this case. Wink

PostPosted: Sun Aug 23, 2015 10:46 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Could not agree more Thomas,well spent 2cents... Very Happy Very Happy

PostPosted: Sun Aug 23, 2015 1:47 pm    Post subject: canadian dime canon rebel eos enlarger lens Reply with quote

PostPosted: Sun Aug 23, 2015 1:55 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

thank you tb-a great photo. but I see something in these pro tessar lens. I also see that in the canon ex lens. I not only want to take good images . I want to come up with away to check coins very fast. looking for errors and varieties. looking through a microscope gets tiring. I would like to just stare at the monitor so much easier. thank you very much for the great photo and thank you all for your opinions. I appreciate them. I am a member on another forum and they have helped me so much learning coin shooting. its great to be able to share and get help thank you

PostPosted: Sun Aug 23, 2015 3:10 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Rockycarter.....If you have seen some of my posts you will have noticed I shoot mainly Macro flora these days.After 50+years in the business I have accumulated far too many cameras(close to a hundred) and 3x as many lenses and when mirrorless cameras came on the scene I thought they were a joke until a colleague showed me results from his Olympus epl 1 so I went and bought one and then bought an epl2 which I never use(less than 300 actuations).Now I mainly use my Sony a6000 or a7ii and can't remember the last time I used my DSLR's.I would highly recommend the Olympus for your macro coin shots with enlarger lenses or 50mm macro lens and you may want to invest in Macro ring light and possibly a copy stand.Regards

thank you K... for your input. so you think the Olympus would be better than the Sony ar7 II . ok would this Olympus be a DSLR or a mirror less camera don't know much about them again thank you would mind is there more to the name or a number for the Olympus thank you

PostPosted: Sun Aug 23, 2015 3:44 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

As tb_a agreed 4/3 smaller sensor is ideal for coins,stamps & smaller items and a lot less cumbersome than FF camera.

This is my backup Oly Epm2 and could sell if interested.PM me for details.Regards

PostPosted: Sun Aug 23, 2015 11:22 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

rockycarter wrote:
thank you tb-a great photo. but I see something in these pro tessar lens. I also see that in the canon ex lens. I not only want to take good images . I want to come up with away to check coins very fast. looking for errors and varieties. looking through a microscope gets tiring. I would like to just stare at the monitor so much easier. thank you very much for the great photo and thank you all for your opinions. I appreciate them. I am a member on another forum and they have helped me so much learning coin shooting. its great to be able to share and get help thank you

That wasn't my point. You can certainly use your "pro tessar" lens on any other mirrorless camera as well. I just wanted to point out that the size of the sensor used is less important than the correct light.
So if you finally decide to go for an A7R or even an A7RII for higher resolution then still I would recommend that you also invest in proper lightning equipment and copy stand or tripod in order to make sure that equal comparable and consistent results can be reached for best comparison possibilities of your coins. My example was a simple illustration that even an old camera with tiny sensor and low resolution is able to produce usable results as long as the right light is in place. That's all.
Certainly the A7RII is able to produce the highest possible magnification from all cameras in consideration (as long as a capable lens is used for maximum quality), that's a rather simple calculation. So if that is your target then you barely have any alternative up to FF digital camera. Any step further would be extremely cumbersome and/or expensive, depending also on the size of your collection....
In any case it's a quite interesting project.
I had already comparable ideas but I never had the energy to realize them as in the end it's still a lot of work. Wink
Good luck!

PostPosted: Mon Aug 24, 2015 12:56 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

thank you Thomas . you see you guys know this stuff. I am still learning see. I to did a lot of image work as well but very simple. I worked from a helicopter with high resolution video camera. it was simple at the end of the day go through the video find the shots I wanted pause the video. push the shutter I had my image. you would not believe some of the photo I have. but now I have to learn this new way. I have learned not as easy as I thought it would be. when I needed a photographer I order one from the head office. its funny they would draw straws. to see how would go because of where would be with helicopter. I had a thermovision gun wrapped around my wrist. its costs 250.000.00 American. they use to tell me you drop that go out after it. but the photographer would step out on the skid and take picture I would tell them what I needed. they was good at there job. any way thank you

on google today there is a post that saying Fuji is come out with and answer to the sony ar7 II . so I think I will wait and see. what they got coming before I make up my mind. besides the canon and Nikon do a good job. but I will purchase one of these mirrorless camera later

PostPosted: Mon Aug 24, 2015 1:01 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Why do I always end up with the impression that when posters require advice and information ,willingly given by experienced,knowledgeable members,they usually defer to exactly opposite to what is suggested by advertising and inexperienced sales staff. I have therefore decided to pass in future Mad

PostPosted: Mon Aug 24, 2015 3:10 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Kryss wrote:
Why do I always end up with the impression that when posters require advice and information ,willingly given by experienced,knowledgeable members,they usually defer to exactly opposite to what is suggested by advertising and inexperienced sales staff.

Well, I didn't try to give any advice here, but I am as surprised as you are, I think. I saw very good advices given here, so no 2cents of me needed.

What kind of details does a collector of coins need, making him search for full frame, more expensive lenses and other outfit just to make pictures of his coins? I am flabbergasted!
I didn't find any argument from rockycarter yet, but maybe he can convince me?

PostPosted: Mon Aug 24, 2015 5:48 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Thank you Sir.

PostPosted: Mon Aug 24, 2015 10:04 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

ok if I have offended any of you. I am very sorry that was not my intention. I have only used a DSLR for about 3 months. I still don't understand the setting. I just follow the guidance of the leads on another forum. my photo have improved to my liking. on a scale of 1 to 10 my photos on that forum is about a 2 possible 3 there photos are 9 maybe 10 and a couple of them 10plus. I want to try to find some information on how to build a lens in a search. I found a site there was a lot of discussion about various lens about macro and true macro. the site was excellent one of the member had put together a lens using pro tessar and a sony nex camera. the images of coins was astounding. there was other members that used various enlarger lens. also one person had built a lens and the images was all I can say is wow. the common factor was a sony nex camera. this site is gone you cannot get into it. I wanted to find a site similar where I could find information on the sony nex camera. this site came up. all I wanted to do was see how this camera preformed and there is lots of photos here that are excellent. I don't know much about these camera or even the DSLR. but I am learning. I want to try to get better photos and I hope to learn as much as I can. when you tell me about a camera about sencor chips and even lens. I am still learning I am starting to understand. so please don't be offended that is not my intent in any way shape or form. all I am looking for is information. like I said I don't know much about camera I am learning. so please I am sorry if I upset you I did not mean to

PostPosted: Mon Aug 24, 2015 10:38 pm    Post subject: bee s taken with a nikon d7100 plus kit lens Reply with quote

I was walking this morning and came a pond this site next to the highway . I set the camera to auto and just snapped away. I don't know anything about setting the camera does the work all I do is aim it. I hope to get good focus. but the camera works well

PostPosted: Tue Aug 25, 2015 10:32 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

If you are happy with your current camera and results why confuse yourself with further knowledge and experience?.

PostPosted: Tue Aug 25, 2015 3:16 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

kryss thank you for the reply see my problem is I don't understand. iso. f stop shutter speed. I thought that maybe these mirrorless camera. you don't have to worry about that. I don't know maybe I am so wrong about that. its just that they seen to be a lot more user friendly . would I be correct in in saying that. the DSLR there is to many thing to set and adjust to get these super sharp coin images. all I was doing was looking for and easier way. the other forum a member that shoots 10+ photo. tried the ar7 recently. the image sharpness and quality is off the scale. so can you tell me is the sony Fuji and the olympus camera more user friendly. see I would like to know thatany way that what I was looking for see on the other forum you take and image. the members can look at your image. they will say adjust the iso to this setting. set the f stop to this. move your lights to where ever. that how good these members are at this . that is there skill set. all I like to do is fin=d some thing that I don't have to make all these setting changes do you know what I mean thank you

PostPosted: Wed Aug 26, 2015 3:35 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

I think that is what tb_a and myself said,The best camera for shooting your coins is a 4/3 mirrorless camera,that with a cheap adapter you can mount any lens you like.It is also small light and easier to handle but it still needs the operator to understand and learn how and where to change the settings.There are many videos on you tube etc on shooting Macro also if you get in the habit of noting the settings for each shot that is called experience.

PostPosted: Thu Aug 27, 2015 12:46 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

kryss thank you very much will do. that is a great idea. right now working at the rolleiflex . as I am finding out this is no little undertaking. I will go to a machine shop in the next couple of days. I have to get a couple of mounts machined one for the canon EXEE. one for the rolleiflex. I have also decided to make a mount for the contaflex. it looks like it might be a bite easier than the rolleiflex. but I want to try them all. well it will either work or it wont in the end. I will still have some great lenses either way its a win win situation. have a great one

PostPosted: Thu Aug 27, 2015 1:01 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Rocky, for your monitor approach to coin viewing you will want to make sure whatever camera you use supports live view. I had (before my a7ii) a Canon EOS 60 D which I connected to an android tablet (Samsung galaxy tab s) running chainfire software app. Marvelous to have a full size image of the photo before you take it. Have not been able to get the same result yet with the a7ii.

https://play.google.com/store/apps/developer?id=Chainfire&hl=en

PostPosted: Thu Aug 27, 2015 1:31 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

jamaeolus yes I have live view for both cameras. the canon and the Nikon . I tell you that photo you took of that flower that incredible great job. the first images of the pennies. I took that with a Samsung and the pro tessar as and add on. I also did the other penny with the canon EXEE as a add on. I want to build the adapters and make them complete lens. I saw some images taken in macros with the pro tessars and they were unbelievable. that site you cannot get into it anymore. I wish they would get it back up and running. they had some great coin images. have a great one

PostPosted: Sat Aug 29, 2015 1:34 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

put together a lens it works ok. I believe the enlarger lens do a better job. its very hard to focus. took the image with a canon t1I tethered in liveview. like I said very hard to focus. second images is a crop photo