Home

Please support mflenses.com if you need any graphic related work order it from us, click on above banner to order!

SearchSearch MemberlistMemberlist RegisterRegister ProfileProfile Log in to check your private messagesLog in to check your private messages Log inLog in

Printing in Winter
View previous topic :: View next topic  

PostPosted: Mon Jan 18, 2010 11:03 pm    Post subject: Printing in Winter Reply with quote

Another thing I learned: printing in winter bites.
Trying to keep the dishes at 24° C when your room is at 19° C is an annoying task.
And if you don't manage to keep dish temperature at 24°, the print is revealed, but the contrast control goes whacko and the print looks rubbish Mad

PostPosted: Mon Jan 18, 2010 11:15 pm    Post subject: Re: Printing in Winter Reply with quote

Orio wrote:
Another thing I learned: printing in winter bites.
Trying to keep the dishes at 24° C when your room is at 19° C is an annoying task.
And if you don't manage to keep dish temperature at 24°, the print is revealed, but the contrast control goes whacko and the print looks rubbish Mad

Well I used to use a long "hot plate" can't remember the proper name for it, also it might have been originally used for glazing/drying prints...anyway it had a thermostat control like a toaster, it was hot enough when switched to max for colour work.

Last edited by Excalibur on Mon Jan 18, 2010 11:17 pm; edited 1 time in total

PostPosted: Mon Jan 18, 2010 11:16 pm    Post subject: Re: Printing in Winter Reply with quote

Excalibur wrote:

Well I used to use a long "hot plate" can't remember the proper name for it...anyway it had a thermostat control like a toaster, it was hot enough when switched to max for colour work.

yeah, I found them for sale... but 180 Eur for one of them is a bit too much even for my wish to fix the problem.

PostPosted: Mon Jan 18, 2010 11:27 pm    Post subject: Re: Printing in Winter Reply with quote

Orio wrote:
Excalibur wrote:

Well I used to use a long "hot plate" can't remember the proper name for it...anyway it had a thermostat control like a toaster, it was hot enough when switched to max for colour work.

yeah, I found them for sale... but 180 Eur for one of them is a bit too much even for my wish to fix the problem.

Well looked up in my 1967 catalogue and it was called a "Photax dishwarmer" and then it was £6, well it still works now after this time.
Another make in those days was Pressman.

PostPosted: Mon Jan 18, 2010 11:38 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

I gave up trying to print in the winter. My setup is in my basement which stays at a brisk 12.5°C around this time of year. I tried it once and by the time I came up I could hardly move, and there was no consistency to any of the prints. Hope you can find some work-around! Maybe a good space-heater? If I remember correctly your darkroom is a nice smaller area, correct?

PostPosted: Tue Jan 19, 2010 10:58 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Which paper and developer are you using, Orio? I've always developed RC papers (Ilford, Agfa, Foma) at 20-22°C with no consistency problem (not enough experience with FB). Are you sure is a bath temperature problem? In my experience the contrast starts to go whacko when the developer is near exhaustion. With fresh solution is always consistent, the prints are maybe ugly but that's another story Smile . (I take for granted the paper is good too).

Cheers, Marty.